New #1 Team?

1 hour ago, addout said:

Who will be this weeks new #1 team?

I'll be the first by saying it will be Covington Catholic.

Does a single loss to a good Dunbar team drop Lex Cath below a team (Cov Cath) that would have to move up four slots? Maybe St. Henry stops being a dark horse.

What's sure to happen is ...

863ad35f-89c2-4d17-ab21-2b5e29a24420.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Tones said:

I’m a big CCH supporter, but St. Henry’s resume is tough to beat right now IMHO. 

10 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

Does a single loss to a good Dunbar team drop Lex Cath below a team (Cov Cath) that would have to move up four slots? Maybe St. Henry stops being a dark horse.

What's sure to happen is ...

863ad35f-89c2-4d17-ab21-2b5e29a24420.gif

I couldn't agree more with both of you. That's why I asked the question. This week definitely stirred things up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

No way CCH is #1. LexCath and Ballard at minimum are better, and St. Henry already beat them, and should be ranked ahead of CCH. 

Should be yes-but was with a lot of St. Henry parents after their title last night, and they don't give them a chance at keeping it within single digits in the Regional.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bluesport said:

Should be yes-but was with a lot of St. Henry parents after their title last night, and they don't give them a chance at keeping it within single digits in the Regional.

Maybe they won’t. 

Not much difference in the to 10-12 teams this year. Cov cath beating Etown and Ashland recently is certainly impressive. There is no right answer. I think a solid argument could be made for several teams. 

• Like 2

Rankings are just for discussion.  I honestly don't believe there's a team out there that's better than the rest.  I think Lexington Catholic, Ballard, & CovCath are going to be tough outs.  That said, all three have quite the gauntlet to run in order to get out of their respective regions.  A slew of other teams are at their level, but those three are bluebloods and they expect to win in March.  That pedigree means something IMO. 

If I had to vote for a #1 team for a poll, I'd probably keep Lexington Catholic there.

• Like 3

There is a justifiable recency bias to rankings, but a body of work over a season is a factor. Cov Cath is 9 - 2 versus teams in this week's rankings. No other team has played as many, or won as much.

A one point victory at home didn't vault St. Henry over Cov Cath two weeks ago. As much as I hate to agree with the previous post by the slug, Lex Cath stays on top. I could see either Ballard or Cov Cath in the two slot, and St. Henry at four.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

There is a justifiable recency bias to rankings, but a body of work over a season is a factor. Cov Cath is 9 - 2 versus teams in this week's rankings. No other team has played as many, or won as much.

A one point victory at home didn't vault St. Henry over Cov Cath two weeks ago. As much as I hate to agree with the previous post by the slug, Lex Cath stays on top. I could see either Ballard or Cov Cath in the two slot, and St. Henry at four.

Both losses were on the road by a total of 3 points. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

Some amount of recency bias is perfectly understandable, though. After all, when they calculate my A1C, the most recent month is the most heavily weighted.  Or perhaps for the medically and statistically challenged, what have you done for me lately?

• Like 1