Franklin County vs. Boyle County Predictions/Updates (4A State Championship)

WestDanville

Who will be the 4A Stare Champion?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 4A Stare Champion?

• Boyle County
    • Franklin County

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/19/2020 at 12:15 AM

I wasn’t a believer in Franklin until watching them play yesterday. Their team speed is unreal. Runs JC usually busts for 6 was getting caught backside. I think it’s going to be a grind it out game. I think Boyle wins but only by 3-7 points. It’s going to be a great game. 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2020 at 10:42 AM, DragonFire said:

Franklin County is just the second team in the six class era to make the 4A state finals after suffering a loss in district play, with both times that resulting in them entering the postseason as a 2 seed.  The other was Johnson Central in 2017, after they lost to Ashland in a stunner in the regular season.  To put in other terms, the 28 state finalists in 4A since the start of the six class system have combined for exactly two losses in district play.  You'd have to go back to 2003 in the old AAAA of the four class system to find the last time a "4A" school won state after suffering a district loss and not entering the postseason as a 1 seed, that being Trinity after suffering a loss to Seneca.  So history is against Franklin County on that.

Also of historical note, the last four teams to win 4A and seven of the last eight champions were teams that had played in the previous state finals.  What's more, three of the last four champions and five of the last seven champions lost the title game the year before.  Boyle County, checks both boxes. 

That is some seriously impressive research DF!!!👍

• Like 1

The nucleus of Franklin County's passing attack is one of the more experienced units in the state. Broyles, Farrier, and Claudio are all three year guys. Broyles has over thirty career starts.

Just throwing that out there to show that this group's success did not come about overnight. They've been doing their thing together for three years now and they know how to handle their business, as Johnson Central found out in the semis. 

On 12/14/2020 at 3:07 PM, PhenomxX said:

I like the Flyers' speed. 22-8 FC.

You may indeed be right, but if I had a nickel for every time during the last 20 years that somebody's speed was going to hurt Boyle, and it didn't, I would be driving a brand new truck right now.  It will come down to Broyles arm and the Boyle secondary.  Boyle only rushed 3 against LexCath most of the night in the 3rd round playoff game and he picked us apart.  I will also add that LC's Gohmann is not as good as Broyles in my opinion.  Broyles has 26 touchdowns and ZERO int's on the season.  The 26 touchdowns don't impress me as much as the ZERO interceptions. The lack of interceptions really bothers me.  Boyle must keep the defense attacking without giving up the big play and be able to pass the ball when FC line's up to stop McDaniel.  There were 5 or 6 times in the second LexCath game that the Rebels did send some extra people that went in untouched and they missed the sack opportunity and that absolutely kills you.  That can't happen this Friday.  The game rides on getting some pressure without leaving the corners out on an island.  The Rebels will honestly have to play their best game of the season.  But to earn a State Championship that's kinda what a team should have to do, right?  Just typing this up has put my stomach in knots.  I will bleed BLACK and GOLD on Saturday morning whether or not we are celebrating number 9 or congratulating FC on their 1st.  But man I sure hope it's number 9 !!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BEChargers said:

You may indeed be right, but if I had a nickel for every time during the last 20 years that somebody's speed was going to hurt Boyle, and it didn't, I would be driving a brand new truck right now.  It will come down to Broyles arm and the Boyle secondary.  Boyle only rushed 3 against LexCath most of the night in the 3rd round playoff game and he picked us apart.  I will also add that LC's Gohmann is not as good as Broyles in my opinion.  Broyles has 26 touchdowns and ZERO int's on the season.  The 26 touchdowns don't impress me as much as the ZERO interceptions. The lack of interceptions really bothers me.  Boyle must keep the defense attacking without giving up the big play and be able to pass the ball when FC line's up to stop McDaniel.  There were 5 or 6 times in the second LexCath game that the Rebels did send some extra people that went in untouched and they missed the sack opportunity and that absolutely kills you.  That can't happen this Friday.  The game rides on getting some pressure without leaving the corners out on an island.  The Rebels will honestly have to play their best game of the season.  But to earn a State Championship that's kinda what a team should have to do, right?  Just typing this up has put my stomach in knots.  I will bleed BLACK and GOLD on Saturday morning whether or not we are celebrating number 9 or congratulating FC on their 1st.  But man I sure hope it's number 9 !!

I'm basing that prediction on some of the clips I've seen and the talk coming from that area (Frankfort.) I have nothing but respect for Boyle's run of excellence! We see some of those same coaching philosophies in coach Brandon Smith over at South Warren. I just think in this game, giving up the edge and not setting a hard enough one with the secondary could pose problems for Boyle. If Boyle can keep the game within the tackle box, tackle on special teams (angle kicks), and control the ball they will be state champions once again. I'm definitely looking forward to a great weekend of football!