Life After COVID-19 Crisis

Voice of Reason

Local/regional businesses, especially restaurants, are at the top of the threatened IMO. I don't eat out often but I will seek to eat at the local places over the national chains throughout this crisis.

On this point, fish fries are probably going to lose a lot of business tonight and through lent.

I believe the Diocese of Covington has ended all fish fry's for the remainder of Lent. They have at my Parish, and the language of the edict made it seem like that will be the case for all of them. Just devastating to these groups.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that I feel will happen, with almost 100% certainty is this...should we be able to limit the number of deaths to "only" 50,000 (or less)...people will go absolutely berzerk about all these cancellations. They'll say all of this was pointless, as we do absolutely none of it for the regular flu and lose that same amount to death.

Which means, the NEXT time something happens and it requires full cooperation from the public to stop the spread...you're going to be less likely to get it. Because everyone will refer back to this, and say "see what happened back then? None of it mattered."

Unfortunately, we are almost in a lose-lose type of situation. If we do nothing now, and 100,000 people die, we'll look back at what could have been done to prevent it. But, if we do everything we can to prevent that...there will be a lot of people say the threat wasn't really that great because it "only" killed xyz number of people. As for me, I'd rather be safe than sorry this go round.

I don't know which thread to ask this question in but this seems like the right one, should we all be self-quarantining or if we are feeling okay should we be out supporting restaurants, bars, etc?

If no one goes out, no one makes any money, and no one is able to pay their bills.

What are the ethical/moral considerations of either staying in or going out?

For me, it's not so much supporting businesses as much as it is looking out for those who are at a higher risk. If I feel fine, shouldn't I be doing something to help those folks who need it--i.e. picking up some groceries, just stopping into check, etc.?

Spoke with the Superintendent's office at Pendleton County. The school is planning to provide meals to any who might need them for the next 3 weeks. They can be picked up at one of two locations, but what about those who aren't able to pick up? Shouldn't I, if I feel okay and have the time, be willing to deliver some of those meals?

Those are just the questions running through my mind. Not saying I'm right or wrong, but those are the questions I'm asking myself. And honestly, praying for God to give the wisdom and insight to do what I should.

Will we do away with the handshake? Go Japan style and begin bowing? I work out at a boutique fitness studio and they are trying to do the elbow thing which I can't rally behind.

I've never met Getslow in person, but I expect him to bow to me if and when we do meet.

For me, it's not so much supporting businesses as much as it is looking out for those who are at a higher risk. If I feel fine, shouldn't I be doing something to help those folks who need it--i.e. picking up some groceries, just stopping into check, etc.?

Spoke with the Superintendent's office at Pendleton County. The school is planning to provide meals to any who might need them for the next 3 weeks. They can be picked up at one of two locations, but what about those who aren't able to pick up? Shouldn't I, if I feel okay and have the time, be willing to deliver some of those meals?

Those are just the questions running through my mind. Not saying I'm right or wrong, but those are the questions I'm asking myself. And honestly, praying for God to give the wisdom and insight to do what I should.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm having difficulty with the "what if I'm infected, but not showing symptoms yet" and end up accidentally infecting the same people you're trying to help. I keep coming back to the statement from the medical field...do no harm. Tough situation for sure.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm having difficulty with the "what if I'm infected, but not showing symptoms yet" and end up accidentally infecting the same people you're trying to help. I keep coming back to the statement from the medical field...do no harm. Tough situation for sure.

Catch-22 for sure.

I am standing by, ready for service, but I don't what to do.

On a related note, I’m hoping that kids aren’t pressured to attend school while sick just to keep a perfect attendance run intact.

Funny thing is, I did that as a kid about once every 1.5-2 years in elementary school, but that was a personal goal of mine. This is really just another factor to add to why I'd have never been able to make the 12 year run I did get. Mostly because of the small things that would have gotten me super suspended, but this is another.

That's exactly the other side of it. Such a tough call to make.

This reminds me of the local weather forecasters calling for heavy snow, where people stock up on supplies, close schools in advance, and make alternate plans all based on what is going to happen. Sometimes they hit it and sometimes it fizzles out.

This is unprecedented in my lifetime. I have never seen such a knee-jerk reaction to something before it actually happens. Certainly at some point in our past there have been threats equal to this COVID-19 thing, but nothing close to this in the way of prevention has ever taken place. I blame Social Media as fueling this hysteria. I also don't like being protected from myself. IF I choose to put myself at risk, than that should be on me.

The Guru is right. It's a Catch-22, If nothing happens we will be told that our actions prevented it. I fear for the precedent that this will set and with the younger generation accepting this as the new norm, and expect repeats about every decade.

Meatloaf and red cabbage for everyone!

This reminds me of the local weather forecasters calling for heavy snow, where people stock up on supplies, close schools in advance, and make alternate plans all based on what is going to happen. Sometimes they hit it and sometimes it fizzles out.

This is unprecedented in my lifetime. I have never seen such a knee-jerk reaction to something before it actually happens. Certainly at some point in our past there have been threats equal to this COVID-19 thing, but nothing close to this in the way of prevention has ever taken place. I blame Social Media as fueling this hysteria. I also don't like being protected from myself. IF I choose to put myself at risk, than that should be on me.

The Guru is right. It's a Catch-22, If nothing happens we will be told that our actions prevented it. I fear for the precedent that this will set and with the younger generation accepting this as the new norm, and expect repeats about every decade.

What a tragedy it would be if every 10 years we had to think about other people for a few weeks...