Scott Gray (Ryle '07) wins 2006 That's My Boy Award

IAmAFan

Thank you for clearing that up for me. It is what I thought but wasn't exactly being told. Some schools need to do a better job of research before sending in a youngmans name and not doing or even worse not caring about anything other then the fact he was a decent football player. I know of one particular instance where the youngman met none of the criteria other then the fact then he was a good football player. Throw in the other criteria and unfortunately he didn't come close. Fortunately he wasn't one of the 3 finalists or I would have some very serious concerns. Personally I'm embarassed for the school and the youngman. Here's hoping a better job is done in the future. People will be watching closely.

There is no criteria to be top 24. Most coaches will pick their top player. Each school gets one of the 24 and six are elected from a list of players the coach submits if the believe they have more than one player deserving. The coaches vote on the extras. This is how some schools end up with 2 people.

It is true you have to be one of the top 24 to be elligible for the "That's My Boy Award." Here is where grades, extra curriculars, etc. come into play. To win it you not only have to be a good player, becasue you get points for being on all-star teams, but you need to be a good student, points here too, and be involved in a lot of extra curriculars, more points.

As the other posters said they are all great kids and any would be derserving of the award.

You must be a "Top 24" selection to be one of the finalists for "That’s My Boy". Some of the more important criteria are GPA, extra curricular activities, community involvement, class rank are some as I understand in addition to being recognized for their football achievements.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. It is what I thought but wasn't exactly being told. Some schools need to do a better job of research before sending in a youngmans name and not doing or even worse not caring about anything other then the fact he was a decent football player. I know of one particular instance where the youngman met none of the criteria other then the fact then he was a good football player. Throw in the other criteria and unfortunately he didn't come close. Fortunately he wasn't one of the 3 finalists or I would have some very serious concerns. Personally I'm embarassed for the school and the youngman. Here's hoping a better job is done in the future. People will be watching closely.

Are you all sure about that? Because I know 3 years ago my senior year, I got the award for being one of the top 24 players, but my teammate was the one nominated from my team for thats my boy award...

Are you all sure about that? Because I know 3 years ago my senior year, I got the award for being one of the top 24 players, but my teammate was the one nominated from my team for thats my boy award...

:confused: No FC I'm not sure and that is the point of my original question. If they were one and the same then I have serious questions about one particular nominee and I don't think I need to tell you who. If it is soley on his football ability that he got the Top 24 then I can go with that but if he was also the schools "Thats My Boy Award" nominee then I'm appalled.

• Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to Scott Gray (Ryle '07) wins 2006 That's My Boy Award