Ejected for Targeting

theguru

You have players making football plays and they end up getting ejected because the ball carrier changes his elevation/starts to go down.

I hate it and I think it is bad for college football and I think it can be grossly unfair to the player being ejected.

The last one in the UK game will be called every single time on a QB. Every time.

There was one in the Louisville game today that was probably the worst I’ve ever seen live.

I agree it’s a bad rule. It should only be called in OBVIOUS situations.

Here’s the irony here. It seems to me that the term “targeting” implies that the defensive player is aiming at something.

On the the other hand, every coach worth his salt tells you to see what you hit. And the idea behind that is to protect the defensive player.

If the defensive player’s head is down, how can he be targeting?

I bet there were not three in any other game today. Being on national TV on a Saturday night, they are going to call it. If game was at noon on regional TV, probably not.

I think there were at least that many in the UVA game.

I think if the offense player changes direction after the defense player is already in the motion to make the play he also should be kicked out. Whats good for protecting the safety of the players should go both ways,after all on 99% of these plays the offense player is the cause.