Defensive Players

Noah Moeller (Ryle #10)

Nathan Darpel (Covington Catholic #0)

Elijah Stevie (Highlands #11)

Dekkar Haaser (Conner #6)

Goalkeeper

Josh Spence (Cooper #0)

NKHSBSCA - The Best 11

As for the season, I, as a Highlands fan, am excited for what they have coming back. Under normal circumstances, losing 16 talented seniors signals a rebuild, but not from what I saw on Thursday. The Birds lose clutch performers, but do return four starters from the state final. Additionally, with their first attacking and defensive options off of the bench join the starting line-up. Finally, Nick Fisher started the first four games last year and shut-out Henry Clay and Lafayette.

They have the experience, speed, and skill to be better than last year. However, they are not as deep as last year, and that was far and away the team's best weapon. They could play 18-19 outfield players and not miss a beat. That saved their legs for their post season run. This year will not give them that advantage, but they will be able to play with the ball more. Hopefully the cumulative effect of keeping possession will nullify the increase in minutes many of those players will get.

As for the season, I, as a Highlands fan, am excited for what they have coming back. Under normal circumstances, losing 16 talented seniors signals a rebuild, but not from what I saw on Thursday. The Birds lose clutch performers, but do return four starters from the state final. Additionally, with their first attacking and defensive options off of the bench join the starting line-up. Finally, Nick Fisher started the first four games last year and shut-out Henry Clay and Lafayette.

They have the experience, speed, and skill to be better than last year. However, they are not as deep as last year, and that was far and away the team's best weapon. They could play 18-19 outfield players and not miss a beat. That saved their legs for their post season run. This year will not give them that advantage, but they will be able to play with the ball more. Hopefully the cumulative effect of keeping possession will nullify the increase in minutes many of those players will get.

Welcome to BGP @Three Blind Mice

Great post!!

When does Highlands get going for real? Varsity and Freshmen? What will their Freshmen team have this year, threat to win Freshmen Regionals?

I forgot to mention, Highlands schedule is TOUGH. Scrimmages with Ryle and Moeller are followed with games against; Ballard, Trinity, Henry Clay, Summit Country Day, Collegiate, Evansville Memorial, some private school from Saint Louis, Loveland, Indian Hill, Madeira, and all 3 Oldham County teams, with NKY games. They could head into the Regional tourney with six or seven losses. If they head in with only two or three, they are a true threat to finish the deal.

As to interest in soccer on BGP, several of the more prolific and knowledgeable posters have kids that aged out of their high school programs. Mine did from Boone in 2016. As someone who never played soccer, I was passionate about the sport when my kids played but now that they're not I will sometimes go out of curiosity, but the passion is not there. Not like it is for other sports that I have had some personal experience in playing.