292 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2A title?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both coaches are class acts and I am proud to see them in the state championship game.

I have never heard anything but class used when discussing Coach McGlone and his staff and when you hear something enough times, you begin to believe it is accurate.

I witnessed the class from Coach Jaggers and his staff last season in person when they sought out a player from an opposing team Mercer had just defeated to tell him how good he performed and to keep his head up. He didn't have to do that, but he did.

With that said, I hope for a great game. I just think that Mercer has too many weapons and will pull this one out. However, I cannot get myself to cheer against either school.

Mercer 28

Russell 21

Yes and the others were a 7 and 13 point win. :eek:

You call that "convincing fashion"?

20 point clock rule according to you guys?

If you go back and read my posts I never said anything about convincing fashion. I merely corrected someone that was saying they didn't see winning in OT convincing fashion.

In my opinion winning a state championship by 1 or 100 is convincing fashion because that means you beat the odds and are the best team in the state in your division. There will be others with different opinions of this. There will be a lot of shoulda, coulda, woulda excuses. But the final fact is that you are the state champ for the next full year.

Speaking of convincing fashion. How often do teams in AA being as weak as it supposedly is get the opportunity to play in back to back state championship games? I think it was in convincing fashion that Belfry beat E-town the first trip then OC the second trip. Back to back has been unheard of in AA lately.

Russell has a far greater and more sustained history than that of Boyle. Outside of the dominating recent stretch under coach smith they don't really have that much of a history. Maybe you should get your head out of the bluegrass and get a history lesson of your own.

Never said Boyle was an elite program with great history.

(BTW, for the record Boyle has had its ups and downs but they haven't been without some success. They have a good history, better than most realize, but not elite by any stretch over time.)

You took two posts I made and combined them.

The one you quoted referred to a coaching discussion. I placed Chuck Smith in the fold because statewide he is recognized for doing more than any coach in building an elite program for his tenure.

The one you inferred was from another post about elite programs historically. I never mentioned Boyle in that post. Please try to get the right thoughts together when you respond.

In that post:

As for Russell's history: How many were District titles in AA? How many in AAA? How many times did they make it to the State Finals in all those years? (Answer: Twice. Once in AAA and once in AA)

As for elite AA programs it's hard to say since that class more than any has had the greatest flux of up and down with members going up and going down. Historically speaking Danville, Mayfield, Corbin, Breathitt, and even Bardstown have more impressive histories in AA competition.

If we go only with the teams left in AA that are there today you have to see what they have done since they have been in AA.

We could go to AAA and talk about Hoptown, Highlands, CovCath and others who have produced more titles. (Even Boyle has 3 titles in AAA)

(My reference to Boyle was not an elite team just that they had 3 AAA titles.)

I still stand by the post in that those mentioned (with the possible exception of Breathitt) have a longer history of success on a state level than Russell can possible be considered with.

Just my take based on the facts and not region. :thumb:

Do you think Coach Jaggers and Staff are just going to let this team celebrate all week? DON'T THINK SO!!!!! On the Saturday morning radio show it was said that the routine will not be broken this week. Heck - the school offered charter buses for the boys to Papa John's this week and Jaggers turned them down! THE TITANS will be arriving in the yellow school buses and THE BOYS will be coming to "take care of business". Get ready!

They should arrive in Yellow school buses. How do you think it would look to drive up in coach buses when you have a school system that just merged a football team for finacial reasons as some say.

They should arrive in Yellow school buses. How do you think it would look to drive up in coach buses when you have a school system that just merged a football team for finacial reasons as some say.

I don't know the situation in every school system but most I have been around don't pay for the whole charter bus. In most cases I've been around the school pays what a school bus/driver would cost (regular rate) and then the boosters pay the rest with the funds they have raised. That way tax money is used for the basics and boosters fill out the bill.

If that method is used you can see that the financial part is not the great burden you are implying.

I don't know the situation in every school system but most I have been around don't pay for the whole charter bus. In most cases I've been around the school pays what a school bus/driver would cost (regular rate) and then the boosters pay the rest with the funds they have raised. That way tax money is used for the basics and boosters fill out the bill.

If that method is used you can see that the financial part is not the great burden you are implying.

I agree that it happens that way. It's the appearance.

And play in 1A.

And again, get the facts straight.

Team A: Harrodsburg was merged into Team B: Mercer. They played in the current Mercer classification of AA. They did NOT play in the classification of A where Harrodsburg was. :thumb:

And again, get the facts straight.

Team A: Harrodsburg was merged into Team B: Mercer. They played in the current Mercer classification of AA. They did NOT play in the classification of A where Harrodsburg was. :thumb:

I was being sarcastic. Just let the schools play within the class that the enrollment allows them to play in. No more, no less.