2A Championship: Russell vs. Mercer County

wildcat111

Who wins the 2A title?  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2A title?

That's a legitimate question to ask.

The only response I have would be does anyone know the financial situation of the Harrodsburg school system? Too often people see mergers as some sort of sports driven response. Most any and everytime I've seen them or been around a merger it was driven by finances that were just not there anymore. Could they have waited? Maybe. I don't know what the finances were but to claim it is only sports/competition driven is the real naive approach.

You do understand that this community just destroyed an education system and school (Harrodsburg) that has been in a continous operation since at least the turn of the century? (BTW, my grandmother and great grandmother both graduated from Harrodsburg High) That is no "easy" choice to make to erase forever the institution of Harrodsburg High School.

I don't know about the finances situation at Harrodsburg but it just seems, while maybe athletics was not the driving force behind the merge that it was the driving force for the timing of the merge. That sounds confusing but it seems like athletics was the reason for merging when they did instead of waiting. Somehow they found a loophole in the KHSAA rules and took complete advantage of that. I'm sure other schools would do the same, I'm sure there are some schools out there who would not do that though. I don't agree with it but I'm not angry about it, what I get frustrated about is when people give bogus reason when trying to justify it. And I'm not speaking of you because the post above is not bogus, I think you've shown your opinion on here with class from what I've seen thus far. I just wish people would call it for what it is and I think more people, while still not liking it, would be OK with it.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know about the finances situation at Harrodsburg but it just seems, while maybe athletics was not the driving force behind the merge that it was the driving force for the timing of the merge. That sounds confusing but it seems like athletics was the reason for merging when they did instead of waiting. Somehow they found a loophole in the KHSAA rules and took complete advantage of that. I'm sure other schools would do the same, I'm sure there are some schools out there who would not do that though. I don't agree with it but I'm not angry about it, what I get frustrated about is when people give bogus reason when trying to justify it. And I'm not speaking of you because the post above is not bogus, I think you've shown your opinion on here with class from what I've seen thus far. I just wish people would call it for what it is and I think more people, while still not liking it, would be OK with it.

What makes me angry is that people make bogus accusations. That's alright though. This is the stuff that drives this team anyway. The Russell players will see it in their eyes on friday.

That is believable. You never know. But I think that most of the blame falls on the KHSAA for allowing it to happen.

Anyway there will be a good game at the Pizza Box Friday at 11:30 am Merger County vs. Russell. They are both 2 deserving teams to play for a State Title hopefully the school system in Merger County will bring alot a fans and answer some of the bussing questions of which pep buses the students will ride to Louisville on! Seriously though has the merger caused any friction with this team? And it could play out in a close game it could be interesting to see there reactions in adversity!

It will be a good game between MERCER County vs. Russell. The MERCER school system is sure to bring plenty of busses and fans. As for friction, maybe here on the BGP Boards between a few posts, kids and parents have been having a good ole time. The football players from MERGER County as you like to call it have set an example for the entire community to follow. I am very proud of the accomplishments they have made on and off the field. I think the MERGER has made them a stronger team it is a very special and talented group of players. The coaching staff is awesome! 14-0, and all we need is one more game. Coach Jaggers was quoted on his radio show as saying in the movie Remember the Titans, the team was perfect at 13-0, the Titans have an opportunity to be perfect + 2. That would be unbelievable for this community. Go Titans, we will be there to support you, good luck to Russell - see you on Friday morning.

I agree and do not consider Corbin a west team either. As I do not consider Mercer Co a west team. Nope you did not see a mention of 2002, that's why I added it. Danville and Mercer had some great runs. Nobody has ever doubted that. And by the way, as for you being of tired of all the talk, I didn't even mention Russell. But since you brought it up, Russell is 40-3 over the last three years, has 17 District Champiobships, 8 Regional Championships and 2 State Championships. Outside of Belfry, tell me a 2A team that can compare to that. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, those are facts. Please define elite. Tell me the elite 2A programs. Please.

I think the years i put on here so far would make Corbin very deserving of being an Elite 2A program. I believe all of our years listed where in 2A also making us even more of a 2A elite program. I will find the rest of the numbers for you and there will be no question you could have. I was just sort of shocked when you left Corbin out of you elite list considering the very very historic past of this program. Maybe it wasn't intentional, but you sure sparked me to doing to research.:D

I thought the same thing about the bulletin board ....

Guarentee , Ivan has no bulletin board , last night on the radio , he said he didn't want any pep rallies .... Devils are coming to " take care of business"

Do you think Coach Jaggers and Staff are just going to let this team celebrate all week? DON'T THINK SO!!!!! On the Saturday morning radio show it was said that the routine will not be broken this week. Heck - the school offered charter buses for the boys to Papa John's this week and Jaggers turned them down! THE TITANS will be arriving in the yellow school buses and THE BOYS will be coming to "take care of business". Get ready!

Do you think Coach Jaggers and Staff are just going to let this team celebrate all week? DON'T THINK SO!!!!! On the Saturday morning radio show it was said that the routine will not be broken this week. Heck - the school offered charter buses for the boys to Papa John's this week and Jaggers turned them down! THE TITANS will be arriving in the yellow school buses and THE BOYS will be coming to "take care of business". Get ready!

Sick em!! Any details of when the team will be leaving? I want to join that convoy!

MERCER WILL BE LOOKING FOR REVENGE THIS YEAR. THEY SHOULD HAAVE WON LAST YEAR IF EVERYONE WAS HEALTHY.

It was 41 to 14 and Mercer got two late TDs. Mercer abandoned there Wishbone offense and went to the spread out of desperation. Last years game was not that close.

I think if you compare Belfry to Mercer this year you are mistaken. :thumb:

In response to number 5:

You need to get out of the mountains more. There are plenty of teams where the coaching and talent have meshed together. You just need to get out and see them. It's not as rare as you make it. If you need a history lesson check out what Sam Harp has done, Chuck Smith, or a number of others who've won far more titles and done more in the post season.

Russell has a far greater and more sustained history than that of Boyle. Outside of the dominating recent stretch under coach smith they don't really have that much of a history. Maybe you should get your head out of the bluegrass and get a history lesson of your own.

Danville was king until they left AA.

Danville has a great history in A, AA, and AAA. They are one of the elite programs in the state. There are only a handful of schools that can match their history.

BTW. The only time Russell played Danville was in the 84 AAA state semi final. Danville won 13-9