2A Championship: Russell vs. Mercer County

wildcat111

Who wins the 2A title?  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2A title?

Devils and Belfry have won last three 2a state championships in convincing fashion against teams west of Lexington. So I bet Mercer coaches are pouring thru this game right now .. Those are valid points ...

2A games are hard to judge who shows up ... My post stated facts ...

Devils hitting on all cylinders ,take care of the ball with no penalties ... Very tough out for a first timer ( Devils spent years getting over first time hump ).

Ps .. Mercer will also be battling " the curse of the Scottie "

Convincing fashion?? OVERTIME is convincing fashion?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Startin' already, it didn't take long. I didn't read anything in his post saying the wasn't good coaching elsewhere. Did I miss something?

Here's what was said:

5) Coaching ... this team is in tune with coaching and the game play ... it's obvious ... this is rare in high school ...

I felt the inference was that somehow this was one of THE reasons for Russell to have a superior edge. Just my take on how it was listed and what I hear a lot from many threads. My point was that it is sometimes naive to think that somehow "our coach" has it all together with the inference that "their coach" is not as in tune.

I agree and do not consider Corbin a west team either. As I do not consider Mercer Co a west team. Nope you did not see a mention of 2002, that's why I added it. Danville and Mercer had some great runs. Nobody has ever doubted that. And by the way, as for you being of tired of all the talk, I didn't even mention Russell. But since you brought it up, Russell is 40-3 over the last three years, has 17 District Champiobships, 8 Regional Championships and 2 State Championships. Outside of Belfry, tell me a 2A team that can compare to that. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, those are facts. Please define elite. Tell me the elite 2A programs. Please.

CORBIN.

I need to get some more numbers for you but here is what i know off the top of my head.

5 State Titles 39* 55* 76'80'82

8 State title apperances 39'55'76'77'80'82'90'02'

so that alone is 8 Regions plus two off the top of my head 00' & 04' and 79' making that 11 with more i know just don't know how many exactly.

District Titles, well in the last 8 years we have 7. Plus the 5 from the state championship wins. making that 13 with the 79' win thats of the top of my head with many many more to add to that as well.

Let me get some numbers for you and i don't think there will be a 2A team in the state able to match it.

You say " What was Mercer supposed to do because they merged late?" Come on, you don't think that was part of the plan? You say " Who were they going to schedule, what district, what this or that..... Well, to be fair you would hold the merge until those questions were answered but instead you hear stuff like you just said "What was Mercer supposed to do". Gimme a break... I really wasn't going to bring any of this up, I was just going to say good luck to both teams and it'll be settled on the field but after reading this I just couldn't resist. Just call it for what it is and I'd be just fine with it, quick trying to justify it with a bunch of hogwash.

That's a legitimate question to ask.

The only response I have would be does anyone know the financial situation of the Harrodsburg school system? Too often people see mergers as some sort of sports driven response. Most any and everytime I've seen them or been around a merger it was driven by finances that were just not there anymore. Could they have waited? Maybe. I don't know what the finances were but to claim it is only sports/competition driven is the real naive approach.

You do understand that this community just destroyed an education system and school (Harrodsburg) that has been in a continous operation since at least the turn of the century? (BTW, my grandmother and great grandmother both graduated from Harrodsburg High) That is no "easy" choice to make to erase forever the institution of Harrodsburg High School.

CORBIN.

I need to get some more numbers for you but here is what i know off the top of my head.

5 State Titles 39* 55* 76'80'82

8 State title apperances 39'55'76'77'80'82'90'02'

so that alone is 8 Regions plus two off the top of my head 00' & 04' with more i know just don't know how many exactly.

District Titles, well in the last 8 years we have 7 with many many more to add to that as well.

Let me get some numbers for you and i don't think there will be a 2A team in the state able to match it.

Corbin was the Regional Champ in '79 as well but were upset in the semi-finals by Pikeville. You were district champs in '76, '77, '79, '80, '82 as far as my memory goes. :thumb:

:fight:

Not sure if you really realize where Russell is, but we do not live in the mountains. May need to check out that map.

GO DEVILS!!!!!!:devil: :fire:

My bad. Then tell me why they are always listed with "Mountain Teams" on threads throughout BGP?

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=106442

Check out that thread on the Best "Mountain Players" and see how often Russell names show up.

Maybe I'm not the only one that needs a map. :rolleyes:

My bad. Then tell me why they are always listed with "Mountain Teams" on threads throughout BGP?

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=106442

Check out that thread on the Best "Mountain Players" and see how often Russell names show up.

Maybe I'm not the only one that needs a map. :rolleyes:

Unless my eyes where playing tricks on me those sure were some pretty mountains over there last week, about compare to what we have here just a little bigger.

Here's what was said:

5) Coaching ... this team is in tune with coaching and the game play ... it's obvious ... this is rare in high school ...

I felt the inference was that somehow this was one of THE reasons for Russell to have a superior edge. Just my take on how it was listed and what I hear a lot from many threads. My point was that it is sometimes naive to think that somehow "our coach" has it all together with the inference that "their coach" is not as in tune.

I can see your point. I don't think that was his intention though. I think most people, who know football any way, know about Jaggers' coaching abilities and great of a coach he is. Comes from a great coach and himself has become a tremendous coach. I know the guy who wrote the post and I'm sure he wasn't trying to disrespect anyone, especially Coach Jaggers.

Unless my eyes where playing tricks on me those sure were some pretty mountains over there last week, about compare to what we have here just a little bigger.

We were in the mountains last night but I wouldn't consider Russell as being a "mountain team" like a Belfry, Johnson Central, Sheldon Clark, Pikeville, ect. Would you consider Ashland a mountain team? Ashlands' closer to the mts then Russell. There are maby a few hills but no mountains. I guess your eyes were doing tricks. JK!!:D