292 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2A title?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really enjoy going into a game as some would say, without a chance. The Mighty Mercer Titans. As I have always said, "The best team will win." No excusses, no cry babies, and no the refs were bad.

Good luck to both teams. I will be there cheering for the Devils.

:thumb: I agree, I will be pulling for Russell I do however think that Mercer will win this one in a "you pick em' game", very close. Russell imo has the advantage of "having been there before", I just think that Mercer will have too much. Both teams are very well coached or they wouldn't be in this position. I look for a very close game that could go either way. This one may be the best game out of all the games at Papa Johns. Good luck to the Russell Red Devils!:jump:

Devils and Belfry have won last three 2a state championships in convincing fashion against teams west of Lexington. So I bet Mercer coaches are pouring thru this game right now .. Those are valid points ...

2A games are hard to judge who shows up ... My post stated facts ...

Devils hitting on all cylinders ,take care of the ball with no penalties ... Very tough out for a first timer ( Devils spent years getting over first time hump ).

Ps .. Mercer will also be battling " the curse of the Scottie "

2003 Belfry 33 ETown 27 in OT

2004 Belfry 28 OCath 21

2005 Russell 27 OCath 14

Yeah, those scores are indicative of a real domination. :rolleyes:

Stats may have been what were dominated:

2003 ETown 364 yards Belfry 324 yards

2004 Belfry 526 yards OCath 397 yards

2005 OCath 337 yards Russell 296 yards

Nope. Except for 2004 that wasn't the case.

I sometimes wonder how Russell even lost this year.

2003 Belfry 33 ETown 27 in OT

2004 Belfry 28 OCath 21

2005 Russell 27 OCath 14

Yeah, those scores are indicative of a real domination. :rolleyes: Stats may have been what were dominated:

2003 ETown 364 yards Belfry 324 yards

2004 Belfry 526 yards OCath 397 yards

2005 OCath 337 yards Russell 296 yards

Nope. Except for 2004 that wasn't the case.

I sometimes wonder how Russell even lost this year.

Well you did leave out two issues.

1) 2002 Breathit County 53, Corbin 0, Don't know the stats, but I'm guessing...well ok, I'm pretty sure they were lopsided.

2) Mercer has been an East team until this year.

Well you did leave out two issues.

1) 2002 Breathit County 53, Corbin 0, Don't know the stats, but I'm guessing...well ok, I'm pretty sure they were lopsided.

2) Mercer has been an East team until this year.

First of all my post was directly related to this statement by REDDEVIL:

Devils and Belfry have won last three 2a state championships in convincing fashion against teams west of Lexington. So I bet Mercer coaches are pouring thru this game right now

I don't think you see a mention of 2002, do you? (For what it's worth Breathitt beat another EKY team in Corbin. Even if they came out of a different bracket they aren't a western team in my eyes.)

If you want some Eastern Bracket history check out Boyle and Danville's reigns in AA and you will get plenty of dominance and fewer wins by geographically eastern teams.

I'm not a defender of the West. I'm tired of hearing a lot of talk from a good program but not an elite program.

I thought the same thing about the bulletin board ....

Guarentee , Ivan has no bulletin board , last night on the radio , he said he didn't want any pep rallies .... Devils are coming to " take care of business"

oooooh aaaaah we bow to your greatness, we're not worthy, we're not worthy.

All I can say is bring it on. The Titans will be ready.

You know I really don't like to hear this 5-A stuff. It is what it is. KHSAA said it was okay for Mercer to play in 2-A. They make the eligability rules and the players on Mercer have no control over that.

I do think this will be a better game that some think. Russell will come into this game as a big underdog on BGP. They were a big underdog against Belfry on BGP. Go back and look. The bottom line is that Mercer and Russell will play and the best team will win.

I can guarantee one thing. Russell is playing some good football right now. They will play until the last play of the game. They will not give up.

oooooh aaaaah we bow to your greatness, we're not worthy, we're not worthy.

All I can say is bring it on. The Titans will be ready.

And by all rights the Titans should win the state championship this year. The gods at the KHSAA handed this one to them on a silver platter. The reclassification should have been done when the new school was a bit closer to completion. It would be like Russell and Raceland combining teams and staying at the A level. That would create a powerhouse team that should roll over everyone just as Mercer has.

Mercer should cherish this state championship and know that it will be short lived. When they make the leap to 5A next year they will be reduced to a average team.

First of all my post was directly related to this statement by REDDEVIL:

Devils and Belfry have won last three 2a state championships in convincing fashion against teams west of Lexington. So I bet Mercer coaches are pouring thru this game right now

I don't think you see a mention of 2002, do you? (For what it's worth Breathitt beat another EKY team in Corbin. Even if they came out of a different bracket they aren't a western team in my eyes.)

If you want some Eastern Bracket history check out Boyle and Danville's reigns in AA and you will get plenty of dominance and fewer wins by geographically eastern teams.

I'm not a defender of the West. I'm tired of hearing a lot of talk from a good program but not an elite program.

I agree and do not consider Corbin a west team either. As I do not consider Mercer Co a west team. Nope you did not see a mention of 2002, that's why I added it. Danville and Mercer had some great runs. Nobody has ever doubted that. And by the way, as for you being of tired of all the talk, I didn't even mention Russell. But since you brought it up, Russell is 40-3 over the last three years, has 17 District Champiobships, 8 Regional Championships and 2 State Championships. Outside of Belfry, tell me a 2A team that can compare to that. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, those are facts. Please define elite. Tell me the elite 2A programs. Please.

And by all rights the Titans should win the state championship this year. The gods at the KHSAA handed this one to them on a silver platter. The reclassification should have been done when the new school was a bit closer to completion. It would be like Russell and Raceland combining teams and staying at the A level. That would create a powerhouse team that should roll over everyone just as Mercer has.

Mercer should cherish this state championship and know that it will be short lived. When they make the leap to 5A next year they will be reduced to a average team.

Did you copy and paste this? I know I've seen this all over the place.

Did you copy and paste this? I know I've seen this all over the place.

Sorry no copy and paste here. Just my opinion on the situation. That's what the site is for. Opinions? No?

I'm just guessing that if you see it everywhere then there are a lot of people that have the same opinion of the situation.