2A Championship: Russell vs. Mercer County

wildcat111

Who wins the 2A title?  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2A title?

Here is a good question.

Which semi final win was more impressive?

Russell shutting out a very physical Belfry team or Mercer Co Shutting out OCath.

Russell holding Belfry to 33 yards?? rushing. I still can't believe I read that. OCath was outmanned with or without their starting QB, however, they were a touch out of sync without him.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But look at Mercer threads and you will see more than one of the Russell faithful popping off about Mercer.

Like I said earlier. If it wasn't for the Russell fans popping in here and stirring stuff up this thread wouldn't be near as interesting. There are very few if any OC fans even posting in this thread.:D

This Friday will tell the tale .... 2A stats and scores are meaningless ....

Only things I can say for sure , is :

1) This group of Devils ( players and coaches) have earned the trip on the field ...

2) The have experience .... defending state champs

3) Grew lot's of depth and diversity with the injuries this year

4) Over came a very soft schedule and are playing complete football ( much better than I thought they could ) Jones is the real deal ...

5) Know how to win the close ones , years struggling to do so .. credit to Coaches ... last year every down was a struggle - 8 kids played both ways for the entire game .. Devils are much deeper this year .. this is a key point Mercer should be thinking about 8 kids played both ways ... I am sure the coaches are ...

6) Have athletes at all postions and ones waiting on the bench to get in the game ... unheard of in 2A football

Based upon all these known facts .. This group of Devils will be there for the entire game ..... if Mercer can match this will be a dandy ...

What gets me is the complete lack of respect that some fans show toward Russell. I think they've earned at least your respect and still none is shown, at all. I don't think I've read one post written by a Mercer faithful that has given any respect to Russell. Most of you say" If we were healthy last year, we would have....". Well, you didn't. It wasn't even close. I just feel like many Mercer fans have no respect for Russell's program, I think they've earned the respect of most of the state. Why is most of Mercer not showing any at all? Last week the Russell BGPers and Belfry BGPers talked on here all week with nothing but respect shown for both programs and there were no closed threads or even any warnings I can remember. Both Belfry and Russell have tons of respect for the other program because they've earned it on the field. From the start I have heard nothing but disrespect and arrogant comments on here towards this game. Show a little respect, I think Russell has earned that much.

I respect the Russell team and program. What I get a little tired of hearing is that they have always been "that and a bag of chips." As FBall pointed out it is a great program with tremendous history but I can think of about 10 to 15 that might have as much or more tradition in the state.

That said, I wish Russell well and hope they play their best on Friday. My hope is the winner will be gracious and the accolades from the losers will be just as plentiful. :thumb:

1) This group of Devils ( players and coaches) have earned the trip on the field ...

4) Over came a very soft schedule and are playing complete football ( much better than I thought they could ) Jones is the real deal ...

5) Know how to win the close ones , years struggling to do so .. credit to Coaches ... last year every down was a struggle - 8 kids played both ways for the entire game .. Devils are much deeper this year .. this is a key point Mercer should be thinking about 8 kids played both ways ... I am sure the coaches are ...

6) Have athletes at all postions and ones waiting on the bench to get in the game ... unheard of in 2A football

Based upon all these known facts .. This group of Devils will be there for the entire game ..... if Mercer can match this will be a dandy ...

Good post. :thumb:

1. I agree.

2. Without question.

3. It seems you are correct.

4. I think that's a great testimony to how good they are. Russell played well against poor and great competition.

5. Not sure where this point was going. Russell and Mercer both have tremendous depth.

6. I think it has been heard of in AA football before. See Danville in the early 90's, Boyle's run, Bardstown, Belfry recently and your own Russell squad.

I too think the game will be close with the lines winning or losing the game. :thumb:

1. Ditto for Mercer

2. Will punch the time clock Friday, and get on a bus to take care of business.

3. Grew depth with entire JV and Freshmen squad playing a quarter or more in 10 of 14 games this year.

4. Are still improving after 14 games. Every game is showing a more balanced and well rounded team. They are peaking at EXACTLY the right time.

5. Ditto for Mercer. 8 two way starters last year......NONE full time this year.

6. Uh yeah...we have a few athletes ourself.:D

As far as being there for the entire game.....Mercer figures we might as well since we had to pay for the bus and all....and they're giving us 4 hours, might as well use them all.

So yes...you are correct THIS WILL BE A GOOD ONE.

Russell holding Belfry to 33 yards?? rushing. I still can't believe I read that. OCath was outmanned with or without their starting QB, however, they were a touch out of sync without him.

I know I may be biased but I think the perfomance by Russell was more impressive. 33 yards rushing on 28 carries for a very good Belfry team.

Give respect and then get some.

I think Mercer is tired of having their threads hijacked with ...other stuff. The big difference you will see is no one from Mercer taking over a Belfry-Russell game thread. But look at Mercer threads and you will see more than one of the Russell faithful popping off about Mercer.

Trust me, Russell has the respect of Mercer and the State. Those of us that were EVEN AT THE GAME last year...remember the whippin.

So relax, everyone still thinks you guys are a great team......

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT RUSSELL ALSO. If you all do have respect, you have a weird way of showing it. Since the season start, most but not all Mercer fans have been checking their rings size and boasting about how great they are. I feel they've shown a lack of respect for not only Russell but some other big programs who have earned it. Some act as though these teams from very respectable programs are just crazy for thinking they can play with Mercer and maybe some are but have some class about it and if you do disagree with them then do it with respect toward their program, instead of acting like their crazy for thinking what they do. I'm sure many people from various schools have said things about Mercer on certain thread. NEWSFLASH: People do think it's right. And this is an open PUBLIC forum for people to speak their peace and I'm sure they've done just that but that's what happens on sites like this.

Great thread,I'm being reading the posts,very interesting.My input on the game is,it's going to be a close game.A well established Russell team and a one trying to get there in Mercer Co.I'm going to go with Mercer Co. to win their first State Champingship 27-21.