The Next UK Basketball Coach...

SouthernSportsFan

With the struggles continuing for Tubby Smith and the Big Blue, this could be his last year to walk the sideline at Rupp. Should Tubby resign or be fired at the end of this year, who would be the replacement? This is not who you "want" - because most want former UK players - but who you think will actually be the coach.

Can we get a poll with the following coaches:

Mark Few (Gonzaga)

Tom Crean (Marquette)

John Phelphrey (S. Alabama)

Travis Ford (UMass)

Billy Donovan (Florida)

Jay Wright (Villanova)

Other

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tubby isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I don't know. If he doesn't have a 10-loss season, I would assume he would be back. But, if he does have a season that is anything comparable to that, will he be forced to resign or be fired? I think that Mitch understands the fans wants and if another 10-loss season should happen, I think Tubby might be gone.

People need to give up hope that Billy D will coach at UK...He's DEFINITLEY not leaving Florida anytime soon...JMO.

Two years ago no one would have wanted Billy D in Lexington.

"He can't get out of the 2nd round!"

"He's a good recruiter, but not an X and O coach!"

"He wouldn't live up the the Pitino-like expectations."

I don't think Few would leave Gonzaga, why would he???

Agreed.

The UK job isn't nearly what it used to be, the D-1 recruits just aren't in KY any more (and if they are, the Wildcats aren't getting them), and the prestige is down. In today's "what have you done for me lately" mentality, many recruits would remember the 2006 Championship and (barring no major breakdown) the great year that UF should have this year as opposed to UK's dominance in the 90's. Donovan would have no reason to leave Florida, the situation there is much better than here, both now and in the future.

With the struggles continuing for Tubby Smith and the Big Blue, this could be his last year to walk the sideline at Rupp. Should Tubby resign or be fired at the end of this year, who would be the replacement? This is not who you "want" - because most want former UK players - but who you think will actually be the coach.

Can we get a poll with the following coaches:

Mark Few (Gonzaga)

Tom Crean (Marquette)

John Phelphrey (S. Alabama)

Travis Ford (UMass)

Billy Donovan (Florida)

Jay Wright (Villanova)

Other

There are at least three of these names who would tell UK "no thanks" if asked.

Of course, none of them will be asked because Tubby is going nowhere.