Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UC's Next Coach?

Featured Replies

  • Author
The Brannen to UC would definitely be interesting and stir some things up around Greater Cincy.

 

He's gotta be #1 on the list, IMO.

  • Replies 76
  • Views 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's gotta be #1 on the list, IMO.

 

I agree.

The Brannen to UC would definitely be interesting and stir some things up around Greater Cincy.

 

Nothing against John, but I just don't see it happening.

Nothing against John, but I just don't see it happening.

 

Sometimes an "expert is thought to be anyone from somewhere else". Is Coach Brannen too close to UC to be genuinely considered?

Sometimes an "expert is thought to be anyone from somewhere else". Is Coach Brannen too close to UC to be genuinely considered?

 

I don't know how to put it in words without it sounding like an insult...which it's not...but, I'll try. I think John is a very good coach, and was just what NKU needed at the time. He's accomplished a lot, all things considered, and I would love to see what he could continue to do if he's there for another 5 years or so. I don't think there were many people that predicted NKU would have the success they've had since going D1, and John is a big part of the reason why they have.

 

So, with all of that being said...I don't know that he's necessarily the guy to take UC to the next level. I could be 100% wrong in that, and would root wholeheartedly for him and the Bearcats should he become the main guy. But, I think you'd (as UC) would want to have someone who's had some experience in, not just making the tourney, but making some noise in it.

 

So, I'd think that someone like Gregg Marshall (Wichita State) or Greg McDermott (Creighton) would be much more likely to be on their radar. They've had success as a "David" in the tournament, and obviously have the ability to convince young men to come to places in the middle of nowhere, like Wichita or Omaha. (Now, whether or not either would want to come to Cincinnati...that's another story.)

 

I hope that makes sense.

...

Edited by Jumper_Dad

I don't know how to put it in words without it sounding like an insult...which it's not...but, I'll try. I think John is a very good coach, and was just what NKU needed at the time. He's accomplished a lot, all things considered, and I would love to see what he could continue to do if he's there for another 5 years or so. I don't think there were many people that predicted NKU would have the success they've had since going D1, and John is a big part of the reason why they have.

 

So, with all of that being said...I don't know that he's necessarily the guy to take UC to the next level. I could be 100% wrong in that, and would root wholeheartedly for him and the Bearcats should he become the main guy. But, I think you'd (as UC) would want to have someone who's had some experience in, not just making the tourney, but making some noise in it.

 

So, I'd think that someone like Gregg Marshall (Wichita State) or Greg McDermott (Creighton) would be much more likely to be on their radar. They've had success as a "David" in the tournament, and obviously have the ability to convince young men to come to places in the middle of nowhere, like Wichita or Omaha. (Now, whether or not either would want to come to Cincinnati...that's another story.)

 

I hope that makes sense.

 

Marshall makes around a million more a year than Cronin did at UC so you can cross him off.

The only names I've seen posted by Twitter fans are Brannen and Pitino.

Does the AAC's new media rights deal do anything to sweeten the pot for potential hires?

Marshall makes around a million more a year than Cronin did at UC so you can cross him off.

 

Yeah, I know that. That's why I said someone "like". Doesn't necessarily have to be those guys. They were just the first two that I thought of.

Woj tweeted that Nick Van Exel has expressed interest.

 

Man, I loved watching that guy play back when I was a kid.

GT was talking Thad Matta last night.

GT was talking Thad Matta last night.

 

So would Xavier fans go ape over that the same way UK fans did over Pitino going to Louisville?

I don't know how to put it in words without it sounding like an insult...which it's not...but, I'll try. I think John is a very good coach, and was just what NKU needed at the time. He's accomplished a lot, all things considered, and I would love to see what he could continue to do if he's there for another 5 years or so. I don't think there were many people that predicted NKU would have the success they've had since going D1, and John is a big part of the reason why they have.

 

So, with all of that being said...I don't know that he's necessarily the guy to take UC to the next level. I could be 100% wrong in that, and would root wholeheartedly for him and the Bearcats should he become the main guy. But, I think you'd (as UC) would want to have someone who's had some experience in, not just making the tourney, but making some noise in it.

 

So, I'd think that someone like Gregg Marshall (Wichita State) or Greg McDermott (Creighton) would be much more likely to be on their radar. They've had success as a "David" in the tournament, and obviously have the ability to convince young men to come to places in the middle of nowhere, like Wichita or Omaha. (Now, whether or not either would want to come to Cincinnati...that's another story.)

 

I hope that makes sense.

 

Brannen at this juncture of his career is very similar to both Huggins and Cronin at the point UC hired them.

 

Brannen has a worse winning percentage, but much of that is the result of the position the program was in when he took it over (transitioning from D-2). Brannen has taken NKU to 2 NCAA tourneys and 1 NIT in 3 years of eligibility. Also had 2 regular season conference titles and 2 conference tourney titles.

 

Cronin took Murray state to 2 NCAA tourneys in 3 years. Also had 1 regular season conference titles and 2 conference tourney titles. Cronin had a better winning percentage at Murray than Huggins at Akron or Brannen at NKU right now.

 

 

Huggins took Akron to 1 NCAA tourney in 5 seasons. 1 regular season conference titles and 1 tourney title. Apparently two of Huggins Akron teams were NCAA conference independents, which probably gave him little chance to make tourney (despite good records).

 

I guess you could argue that UC is a better program now than when either Huggins or Mick took over and that is why you don't want Brannen. Huggins took over after the awful Tony Yates years and Mick took over after an NIT Andy Kennedy year.

Edited by Oldbird
Correct wording

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.