Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Middlesboro (11-1) at Belfry (10-2)

Who wins Friday? 111 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins Friday?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Windex Man

 

I hope the fans see it on Friday. I know it looked cheesy, but there was just something about the mindset of that 03 team that last year's and even the 04 team did not have. I know Haywood loves this stuff. I want to see him as intense as possible come Friday. I won't be able to attend, but I know that if he brings that fire, the kids and ultimately the fans will respond. This Belfry team is good, but they need that little bit of magic IMO.

  • Replies 160
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Windex Man

 

I hope the fans see it on Friday. I know it looked cheesy, but there was just something about the mindset of that 03 team that last year's and even the 04 team did not have. I know Haywood loves this stuff. I want to see him as intense as possible come Friday. I won't be able to attend, but I know that if he brings that fire, the kids and ultimately the fans will respond. This Belfry team is good, but they need that little bit of magic IMO.

 

I hope to hear about it happening. This time of year it is all about desire and I believe Belfry needs a little more fire in their belly to make a legitimate run at the championship. FYI, I wont be there either, cant make it home in time. Hope to see you on here friday night during the updates.

I want this game bad. I know Haywood does too.

 

I believe a "business as usual" approach has done Belfry well. Haywood has always kept his boys even keel and its paid off. But IMO, this week we need the leadership that coach showed in 03.

 

I am just one man. But I want Coach to "preach" a little bit and call upon these kids to reach beyond what they think they ever could. If Belfry does that, they win this game.

I wanna see this group of kids put a chip on their shoulder that Belfry can win a state title without having arguably the two best running backs to ever play in 2A on the same team. There has been times this year that our wishbone execution has been nearly flawless.. between Elkins' playfakes (I have never been fooled as many times watching Belfry as this year), May's ability to be the rare playmaker at fullback, and the speed at which Epling and Chapman hit the holes.. there have been instances where they looked better than the 2003/2004 team because they don't have that shear talent.

 

I was talking to my father at the Pburg game and agreed that we may NEVER see a tandem of halfbacks as dominant and diverse as Doug and Dave, they were the true epitome of Thunder n' Lightning and had the perfect fullback to lead block in Childers. But... for the first time in along time Belfry posesses a truly balanced 4-part backfield (QB, FB, HB, HB) and also posess the ability to pass the ball efficiently., the only difference is where in the past we could rely on Doug and Dave to make plays with shear athleticism,, these guys have to make plays as a joint effort.

 

Bottom line... this is a HUGE game for Belfry and I hope the placid fans realize it and Cram the CAM!

I want this game bad. I know Haywood does too.

 

I believe a "business as usual" approach has done Belfry well. Haywood has always kept his boys even keel and its paid off. But IMO, this week we need the leadership that coach showed in 03.

 

I am just one man. But I want Coach to "preach" a little bit and call upon these kids to reach beyond what they think they ever could. If Belfry does that, they win this game.

 

Throughout the years Ive been one to question Coach's play calling or strategy which is normal for any diehard follower of a football team. Now just because I questioned certain things didnt mean I wouldnt follow Coach Haywood to the ends of the earth. But the one thing I could never question about Coach was his ability to "preach" to his kids the importance of rising to the occasion. Ive sat in the locker room during those "preach" times and I would run through a wall for him and these times are few in occurence. I feel like this friday is one of those times. Its time to stir the pot, flame the fire and circle the wagons.

Go Pirates!

 

I love this stuff. God I wish I could be there.

  • Author

I've added a Poll. Vote early and often.

it is quite refreshing to come into a playoff game and not have to wear the tag as "favorite". This Belfry team is really being underestimated. Not by Middlesboro's fans or the Belfry faithful but by most accounts on this websites and others their chances are slim to none to reach the carpet this year.
How is Belfry not considered the favorite??

 

As for members on this site goes most are picking Belfry to win the game not only in the thread poll but in the pick 10 contest as well ,I think the #'s are something like 15-3 Belfry.

 

In the Dave Cantrall's ratings Belfry is #2 Middlesboro is #7.

I'm no genious but the only teams that do advance in the playoffs are the ones who outscore their opponents.
Stop trying to be cute. I'm pretty sure you know exactly what I meant.

I'm no genious but the only teams that do advance in the playoffs are the ones who outscore their opponents. When playing against in-state teams, here are how the numbers stack up:

 

Defense (points given up per game)

Belfry- 12.08

Middlesboro- 14

 

Offense (points scored per game)

Belfry- 36.5

Middlesboro- 40.6

 

Average Margin of Victory

Belfry- 24.42

Middlesboro- 26.6

Why just count the game against in-state teams? Because the Knoxville Central game would skew the numbers?

 

Personally, I think Belfry's in-state schedule is a little tougher than Middlesboro's, although they are fairly close.

Also, westsider mentioned something about Middlesboro's defense wearing down
I asked a question. I didn't make the assertion that Belfry would wear down Middlesboro's defense ... I asked whether they could.

 

To me, all this adds up to a close game. I'm certainly not anointing either team as a significant favorite.

Thanks for creating the poll SCRIBE. Middlesboro is the underdog and they will march into Belfry set to try to pull off a huge upset over a MUCH favored Belfry team ! ! ! I Love It.

For debate purposes:

 

The cumulative rank for both teams (taken from an average of Massey, Cantrell, Lit, BGP, and AP Polls)

 

Middlesboro- 4, 7, 3, 4, 3 = 4.2

Belfry- 9, 2, 7, 7, 7= 6.4

 

 

Stats breakdown next...

BELFRY PIRATES (10-2)

Points Scored: 438

Points Allowed: 145

Average Score: 37-12, 25 point per game average vicctory margin

Rushing Yards: 3,764 (314 per game)

Rushing Yards Allowed: 1,168 (98 per game)

Passing Yards: 616 (51 per game)

Passing Yards Allowed: 718 (60 per game)

Total yards: 4380 (365 per game)

Total Allowed: 1886 (158 per game)

 

RUSHING

Dustin May: 198 carries, 1254 yds, 15 TD, 105 ypg, 6.3 ypc

Corey Chapman: 102 carries, 1066 yds, 22 Total TD, 89 ypg, 10.5 ypc

G Epling: 77 Carries, 777 yards, 13 Total TD, 65 ypg, 11 ypc

 

PASSING

Andrew Elkins: 34/64, 609 yds, 5 TD, 2 INT (10 games)

 

NOTES:

- This marks the second straight year that Chapman and May have combined to go over 1000 yards rushing a piece.

Thanks for creating the poll SCRIBE. Middlesboro is the underdog and they will march into Belfry set to try to pull off a huge upset over a MUCH favored Belfry team ! ! ! I Love It.

 

 

That's a nice try....but if Middlesboro wins...it would not be a HUGE upset. I know you guys are still smarting from losing head to head over the last 3 contests....and...you've got revenge on your mind...but, based on your fans opinions....you guys seem relatively confident that you'll leave Pond Creek with a victory. I don't think you can have it both ways:D It's one thing to be the hunter...and it's another thing to be the hunted. The Pirates have been both. I don't think Cinderella's glass slipper is going to fit either team. Win or lose you'll get Belfry's best effort. If you win, it won't be an upset...if you lose it won't be shocking. The same can be said for Belfry.

MIDDLESBORO YELLOWJACKETS (11-1)

Points Scored: 495

Points Allowed: 210

Average Score: 41-18

Average Margin of Victory: 23 Points

Rushing Yards: 3,308 (276 per game)

Rushing Allowed: 1,362 (114 per game)

Passing Yards: 1918 (160 per game)

Passing Allowed: 1,312 (109 per game)

Total Yards: 5226 yards (436 per game!)

Total Allowed: 2674 yards (223 per game)

 

RUSHING

Casey Earls: 119 carries, 1018 yards, 19 Total TD, 85 ypg, 8.6 ypc

CG Ford: 95 carries, 738 yards, 14 Total TD, 62 ypg, 7.8 ypc

Brennan Bowling: 99 carries, 694 yards, 11 Rushing TD, 58 ypg, 7.0 ypc

 

PASSING

Trevor Hoskins: 106/197, 1918 yds, 19 TD, 7 INT

That's a nice try....but if Middlesboro wins...it would not be a HUGE upset. I know you guys are still smarting from losing head to head over the last 3 contests....and...you've got revenge on your mind...but, based on your fans opinions....you guys seem relatively confident that you'll leave Pond Creek with a victory. I don't think you can have it both ways:D It's one thing to be the hunter...and it's another thing to be the hunted. The Pirates have been both. I don't think Cinderella's glass slipper is going to fit either team. Win or lose you'll get Belfry's best effort. If you win, it won't be an upset...if you lose it won't be shocking. The same can be said for Belfry.

According to the polls Middlesboro is the favorite...a clear favorite if you take away the Cantrell Ratings.

 

Without the Cantrell Ratings the average rating goes:

Mboro: 3.5

Belfry: 7.5

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.