Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Middlesboro (11-1) at Belfry (10-2)

Who wins Friday? 111 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins Friday?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Agreed... BUT

 

Belfry fans have not been the same since 03.

  • Replies 160
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Without any personal knowledge of the situation, but going on what I've heard in the past, I suspect that Hearsay felt the answer wouldn't be appropriate for the message board.

 

I kind of came to that conclusion, but I think oneijoe just wanted to know if he was still playing college ball or not.

 

I'm assuming he isn't...regardless, the kid was a heckuva high school QB and I enjoyed watching him play.

I kind of came to that conclusion, but I think oneijoe just wanted to know if he was still playing college ball or not.

 

I'm assuming he isn't...regardless, the kid was a heckuva high school QB and I enjoyed watching him play.

That entire Bardstown team was UNBELIEVABLE that year... wow

Agreed... BUT

 

Belfry fans have not been the same since 03.

 

How so, CFJ? That hasn't been my observation at all, save for the two games with Shelby Valley this season. The 2004 home games with Pburg and Russell were some of the biggest and loudest crowds I have seen anywhere.

 

And the crowds at CAM have been huge at times too. CAM is just not as loud, because of the open design, as Vipperman.

 

I've heard some complain that the crowds at CAM are not cheering, not as loud, not as into the game, etc., but the truth is I don't think that holds water. Take some of those crowds and put them in Vipperman and it would have been packed and loud. It is a matter of design and accoustics, IMO.

 

As far as road crowds go, Pirate fans still travel well. At Russell, the last big road game, I thought we had a ton of fans.

How so, CFJ? That hasn't been my observation at all, save for the two games with Shelby Valley this season. The 2004 home games with Pburg and Russell were some of the biggest and loudest crowds I have seen anywhere.

 

And the crowds at CAM have been huge at times too. CAM is just not as loud, because of the open design, as Vipperman.

 

I've heard some complain that the crowds at CAM are not cheering, not as loud, not as into the game, etc., but the truth is I don't think that holds water. Take some of those crowds and put them in Vipperman and it would have been packed and loud. It is a matter of design and accoustics, IMO.

 

As far as road crowds go, Pirate fans still travel well. At Russell, the last big road game, I thought we had a ton of fans.

 

I was at the '04 game between Belfry and Russell. That old stadium should have been designated as the "12th man". Very intimidating place to play for a visiting team. I saw kids on the side of the hill; in trees, on roofs, it was unreal. The visitors had to sit on the same side as the home fans and the visiting team had their backs to the home fans. Again, very tough place to play and win for visitors. That game was very loud even though I felt that Russell had brought a good number of its own fans. Belfry definitely travels well as evidenced by last year's crowd at the "Hank". If it happens, I'm looking forward to seeing the new facility. Good luck Belfry!

If there happens to be another Belfry vs Russell game, I am not overlooking Middlesboro at all, parking will be scarce.

 

Russell travels very well. Their fans are to be commended.

 

I hope we are still traveling next week! :thumb:

You will love the new place 78. It is very welcoming to visitors and there is plenty of parking as well as seating. :thumb:

You will love the new place 78. It is very welcoming to visitors and there is plenty of parking as well as seating. :thumb:

 

 

If there happens to be another Belfry vs Russell game, I am not overlooking Middlesboro at all, parking will be scarce.

 

Russell travels very well. Their fans are to be commended.

The might be right Watusi.

I am picking M'boro in a close one (that way if Corbin gets beat, I'll have a team to watch next week) :sssh:

 

M'boro 28

Belfry 21

...

 

Additionally, and I think wonderfully, the vistor side also has its' own concession.

 

I looked for that last Friday, but never found it. Did they take the night off ?

 

:confused:

They have a portable concession stand that they use sometimes, but not always. I don't know if it is done for huge crowds or what. Surprised they didn't use it for the Pburg game.

This should be a good game. I keep telling myself that Middlesboro will win, but I know Breathitt has went into Belfry with some dang good teams and lost or barely came out with a win. They are one tough nut to crack, especially at home. If Belfry can contain the speed and great athletes middlesboro has they should be able to win. If this game turns into a shootout like the games with Corbin and Breathitt I am not sure that Belfry can keep up with them in a high scoring game. They can throw some points up and throw them up in a hurry. I hope whoever wins this game can take it all.

It is now gameday, therefore I shall predict:

 

 

BELFRY

Middlesboro is going to throw the kitchen sink to stop Belfry's running game, I feel this puts the Pirates at a decisive advantage. From watching Middlesboro over the years the recurring theme I see is stacking the box, playing the safety rediculously close to the LOS, and CB's who turn their back to the ball and play TIGHT man coverage. Belfry is not specifically talented at SE, they are not speed burners in the backfield, but all three of these Belfry backs can hit the hole like a freighttrain and can also carry playfakes on playaction pass.

 

Defensively, the Jackets will pose a ton of challenges for an undersized Pirate defense that has struggled tackling. Belfry will easily be the quickest defense the jackets have seen, and the Pirates will be in position to make plays. The question is will Belfry be proactive or reactive on defense?

 

KEY 1: Execution must be impeccable... less than 20 offensive penalty yards, less than 2 fumbles.Defensively the Pirates have to force at least 2 Jacket turnovers.

 

KEY 2: Chapman and Epling must step up... Middlesboro will be well suited for the FB.. it's going to be the misdirection that will give them trouble. At least 175+ rushing yards between the two. By doing this Belfry can control the Time of Posessio and dictate their tempo.

 

KEY 3: Elkins must complete at least 3-4 passes to force those corners to have to think pass coverage first, run support second, that way it frees up the option.

 

KEY 4: SPECIAL TEAMS!!!!! No kick returns allowed, no punt returns alllowed, and Middlesboro can not start a single posession beyond their own 40.

 

Bottom Line is I think M-boro is about 6 points better than Belfry on a neutral field. Belfry's advantage will come in the trenches as well as the fact that they are more developed to set the game tempo THEIR way...

 

Belfry hits my keys:

Belfry 28

Middlesboro 21

 

Belfry hits 2/4 Keys:

Middlesboro 28

Belfry 14

Pretty decent breakdown. However, even if Belfry completes 3-4 passes..I still don't think the Middlesboro corners are going to go a pass first mentality. I think Belfry will have to play smash mouth football....and our backs are going to have to "create" some opportunities..via broken tackles...sharp cuts, etc,etc. It would be nice to see a "wrinkle or two"..but I seriously doubt it.

 

You're right on with Special teams play. Simply cannot afford any mishaps.

 

IMO, the two "T's" will decide this one: Tackling and Turnovers.

 

I do think, we'll see the May and Lee combo some. That could be real interesting for a change of pace.

 

Should be a great game.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.