Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Middlesboro (11-1) at Belfry (10-2)

Who wins Friday? 111 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins Friday?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I agree with you Orisonspi. Thats what makes me think this is such a great game because I wouldn't be shocked if Belfry were to win by 21 or if Middlesboro were to win by 21, or if they were to go into 4 ot's. You really just can't forcast this game at all! Thats what makes this contest so intriguing, even each programs biggest fans like ourselves have no clue.

 

Can't Wait....GO JACKETS !

  • Replies 160
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will be surprised if either team wins by 21 or more.

 

I don't think this will be a shootout game. I would expect it to remain in the 20s and the margin of victory to be no more than 10.

MIDDLESBORO YELLOWJACKETS (11-1)

Points Scored: 495

Points Allowed: 210

Average Score: 41-18

Average Margin of Victory: 23 Points

Rushing Yards: 3,308 (276 per game)

Rushing Allowed: 1,362 (114 per game)

Passing Yards: 1918 (160 per game)

Passing Allowed: 1,312 (109 per game)

Total Yards: 5226 yards (436 per game!)

Total Allowed: 2674 yards (223 per game)

 

RUSHING

Casey Earls: 119 carries, 1018 yards, 19 Total TD, 85 ypg, 8.6 ypc

CG Ford: 95 carries, 738 yards, 14 Total TD, 62 ypg, 7.8 ypc

Brennan Bowling: 99 carries, 694 yards, 11 Rushing TD, 58 ypg, 7.0 ypc

 

PASSING

Trevor Hoskins: 106/197, 1918 yds, 19 TD, 7 INT

 

What are the rushing stats for Trevor Hoskins? I would imagine that his numbers will probably add another 400 rushing yards or more. One clear difference in my mind, just by looking at the statistics, is that along with a good ground game, Middlesboro has a serious passing threat while Belfry does not.

 

Since Middlesboro also throws the ball, some of the big playmakers were left off of that list of statistics. I would love to see the receiving numbers for Hunter Adams and Dalin Farr. Heck, Casey Earls, as good as his rushing stats sound, puts up nearly as good receiving numbers as well.

 

In conclusion, yes Belfry appears to have a better rushing offense but Middlesboro has a far more balanced attack.

I think that Middlesboro has a shot at Belfry. Middlesboro has alot of speep with their running backs, quaterback, and receivers. Belfry in my opioion hasnt really lived up to what they could do this year. I mean they let sheldon clark come back and beat them. If they can play good defense and play a ball control offense and limit the amount of touches that the middlesboro offense has, then Belfry will win.

What are the rushing stats for Trevor Hoskins? I would imagine that his numbers will probably add another 400 rushing yards or more. One clear difference in my mind, just by looking at the statistics, is that along with a good ground game, Middlesboro has a serious passing threat while Belfry does not.

 

Since Middlesboro also throws the ball, some of the big playmakers were left off of that list of statistics. I would love to see the receiving numbers for Hunter Adams and Dalin Farr. Heck, Casey Earls, as good as his rushing stats sound, puts up nearly as good receiving numbers as well.

 

In conclusion, yes Belfry appears to have a better rushing offense but Middlesboro has a far more balanced attack.

 

Agree on all points.

 

Belfry doesn't "rely" on their passing game as a staple; they would much rather just keep it on the ground. I would call their passing attack "opportunistic". They will try to surprise you with a pass when they think they can hurt you with it. Their sophomore QB has been brilliant at times and has shown his youth at others, but for the most part he has been very very solid. He thorws a nice ball and is very poised for his age.

 

Middlesboro, by all accounts, is very much more balanced in terms of pass/rush on offense than Belfry. Their skill athletes are very highly regarded and they can hurt you at any time on any place on the field.

 

It will be interesting to see which defense will be able to force the opposing offense into doing something other than what they like to do. Last year I thought Middlesboro kept going back to the option, hoping for Hoskins to make plays, when it just wasn't there. Had they had the threat of the pass, like they have this year, it would have been a different game.

Agree on all points.

 

Belfry doesn't "rely" on their passing game as a staple; they would much rather just keep it on the ground. I would call their passing attack "opportunistic". They will try to surprise you with a pass when they think they can hurt you with it. Their sophomore QB has been brilliant at times and has shown his youth at others, but for the most part he has been very very solid. He thorws a nice ball and is very poised for his age.

 

Middlesboro, by all accounts, is very much more balanced in terms of pass/rush on offense than Belfry. Their skill athletes are very highly regarded and they can hurt you at any time on any place on the field.

 

It will be interesting to see which defense will be able to force the opposing offense into doing something other than what they like to do. Last year I thought Middlesboro kept going back to the option, hoping for Hoskins to make plays, when it just wasn't there. Had they had the threat of the pass, like they have this year, it would have been a different game.

 

What scares me is that I thought we could have passed a lot more against Leslie County last week but decided to keep pounding away with the run which, for the most part, wasn't very successful. I do think they will keep the ball in Hoskins' hands again when they need a play but I hope that also means that they rely on him to spread the ball around with his arm a little bit. I don't feel we can win a true battle of the trenches so our offense needs to stay balanced and not allow Belfry to get us off of our game plan early. If so, it could be a very frustrating night.

Middlesboro's defense didn't stop the 2 point conversion, the ref did!!!

You should have thrown the Red Flag, big dog.......Middlesboro won that game, not the refs, if your still sour over that call start another thread about it, this is the Belfry Vs. Middlesboro thread bud.

What are the rushing stats for Trevor Hoskins? I would imagine that his numbers will probably add another 400 rushing yards or more. One clear difference in my mind, just by looking at the statistics, is that along with a good ground game, Middlesboro has a serious passing threat while Belfry does not.

 

Since Middlesboro also throws the ball, some of the big playmakers were left off of that list of statistics. I would love to see the receiving numbers for Hunter Adams and Dalin Farr. Heck, Casey Earls, as good as his rushing stats sound, puts up nearly as good receiving numbers as well.

 

In conclusion, yes Belfry appears to have a better rushing offense but Middlesboro has a far more balanced attack.

Very valid points.

 

One thing to consider with Belfry is the fact that due to them being 90% run that also equates to fewer plays in agame because the clock is constantly running. If I were a betting man I would guess that Middlesboro has had at least 25-30% more posessions this year than the Pirates becauise A) they pass more and B) as evident by the stats they have played more passing teams.

 

To dismiss Belfry's passing ability is not a wise thing to do. Watusi hit the nail on the head. As addressed in the Pburg thread what has been a bugaboo for Belfry has not just been dropped passes, but dropped touchdown passes. The best way to think of our passing game is to recall back to the 2003 team which actually threw 2 TD's against M-boro in the 21-0 win. Belfry's passes are calculated risks and typically result in big plays when completed.

I think that Middlesboro has a shot at Belfry. Middlesboro has alot of speep with their running backs, quaterback, and receivers. Belfry in my opioion hasnt really lived up to what they could do this year. I mean they let sheldon clark come back and beat them. If they can play good defense and play a ball control offense and limit the amount of touches that the middlesboro offense has, then Belfry will win.

 

Belfry probably has the youngest team remaining in the playoffs starting a ton of sophomores and juniors, this team has yet to peak this year, adn for all intensive purposes may never truly peak.

 

Just remember Belfry is a pair of missed two point conversions from being 12-0and the #1 ranked 2A team coming into the playoffs.

That being said, not only does Middlesboro have a shot.. but right now I think Middlesboro will beat Belfry in a really close game.

Belfry probably has the youngest team remaining in the playoffs starting a ton of sophomores and juniors, this team has yet to peak this year, adn for all intensive purposes may never truly peak.

 

Just remember Belfry is a pair of missed two point conversions from being 12-0and the #1 ranked 2A team coming into the playoffs.

That being said, not only does Middlesboro have a shot.. but right now I think Middlesboro will beat Belfry in a really close game.

 

Just to be fair to Middlesboro as well, if they stay in state for the season opener instead of going to play perenial power Knoxville Central, they could be undefeated and possibly the #1 teams in 2A as well.

 

And in response to BIG DOG 58, that game is long gone bud. I would disagree with your opinion as well as recommend you move on. To be honest, that was somewhat of a dumb move to go for two. Maybe you should be upset about that. That is all I am going to say on the topic, which just so happens, isn't the topic of this thread.

The Massey Ratings predict:

 

Middlesboro 36

Belfry 29

orisonpi, I would love to see passing/receiving stats for both teams. I see this being a close game, with Belfry going up early, but Middlesboro making a stand on Defense late in the game and using the air attack to pull off the upset 28-21.

 

Wish I could go to this game.

 

GO JACKETS!!!!!

Passing Stats from KHSAA

 

Belfry:

Elkins 34 of 64 (53%) for 609 yards (18 YPC) and 5 TDs. (10 games)

 

Middlesboro:

Hoskins 106 of 197 (54%) for 1918 yards (18 YPC) and 19 TDs. (12 games)

 

 

Receiving Stats from KHSAA

 

Belfry:

Not listed

 

Middlesboro:

Earls has 26 catches for 494 yards and 7 TDs.

Adams has 34 catches for 664 yards and 6 TDs

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.