Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Middlesboro (11-1) at Belfry (10-2)

Who wins Friday? 111 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins Friday?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Middlesboro has obviously had some defensive issues this season. Will Belfry be able to control the ball, wear the defense down and rack up the points?

 

I'll take Belfry in a close one ...

  • Replies 160
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hear the word great being used to describe Belfry's Qb.

 

I wouldn't go nearly that far, but he has done a nice job this season.

Middlesboro has obviously had some defensive issues this season. Will Belfry be able to control the ball, wear the defense down and rack up the points?

 

I'll take Belfry in a close one ...

I've yet to see this defense wear down in any game this season.

 

Our run defense has been solid all season long ,I can only think of a 2 or 3 teams that has rushed for more than 100 yrds on them and only one player Beckham Herald (Breathitt Co) has rused for more than 100 yards against this defense.

Well, Middlesboro gave up 42 apiece to Corbin and Breathitt, two of the better teams on their schedule ... Belfry certainly looks comparable to those two.

Id hope Belfry is comparable to the two...If not, it could be a long night wouldn't ya think West Sider? Middlesboro did give up big points, but they also put em up and then some.

Teams that rely on outscoring the opposition usually don't get very far in the postseason. Belfry's M.O. has always been power football, controlling the line of scrimmage and wearing down the defense ... given Middlesboro's defensive woes, I wonder how that matchup plays out.

As a Russell fan I HAVE to root for Belfry. For no other reason than if Russell makes it past Corbin Friday night I really don't want to have to make that 4.5 hour trip to Middlesboro.:D

Teams that rely on outscoring the opposition usually don't get very far in the postseason. Belfry's M.O. has always been power football, controlling the line of scrimmage and wearing down the defense ... given Middlesboro's defensive woes, I wonder how that matchup plays out.

 

I'm no genious but the only teams that do advance in the playoffs are the ones who outscore their opponents. When playing against in-state teams, here are how the numbers stack up:

 

Defense (points given up per game)

Belfry- 12.08

Middlesboro- 14

 

Offense (points scored per game)

Belfry- 36.5

Middlesboro- 40.6

 

Average Margin of Victory

Belfry- 24.42

Middlesboro- 26.6

 

Say what you want about Middlesboro's defense being weak or whatever but even though they may give up more points, their average margin of victory was higher than Belfry's. Also, westsider mentioned something about Middlesboro's defense wearing down; if any defense has shown the ability to tire late in the game it has been Belfry's. Middlesboro was tied with abotu 5 minutes to go against both Corbin and Breathitt and was able to hold both of them. In their most recent playoff game against Leslie, their defense held up yet again when they stopped Leslie from converting a 2-point conversion late in the game.

 

Belfry on the other hand has lost 2 of their 3 close games this season. Both losses came in overtime which means that their defense couldn't get it done when the other defense could.

 

If Middlesboro losses, it won't be because their defense is inferior to Belfry, that I know for sure.

I'm no genious but the only teams that do advance in the playoffs are the ones who outscore their opponents. When playing against in-state teams, here are how the numbers stack up:

 

Defense (points given up per game)

Belfry- 12.08

Middlesboro- 14

 

Offense (points scored per game)

Belfry- 36.5

Middlesboro- 40.6

 

Average Margin of Victory

Belfry- 24.42

Middlesboro- 26.6

 

Say what you want about Middlesboro's defense being weak or whatever but even though they may give up more points, their average margin of victory was higher than Belfry's. Also, westsider mentioned something about Middlesboro's defense wearing down; if any defense has shown the ability to tire late in the game it has been Belfry's. Middlesboro was tied with abotu 5 minutes to go against both Corbin and Breathitt and was able to hold both of them. In their most recent playoff game against Leslie, their defense held up yet again when they stopped Leslie from converting a 2-point conversion late in the game.

 

Belfry on the other hand has lost 2 of their 3 close games this season. Both losses came in overtime which means that their defense couldn't get it done when the other defense could.

If Middlesboro losses, it won't be because their defense is inferior to Belfry, that I know for sure.

 

Actually the lose to Ashland had absolutely nothing to do with the defense. A very logical decision by Coach Haywood to go for two on the road was the deciding factor. Not getting it cost us that game, not the defense in my opinion. Now the other lose could quite well be blamed on the defense. Not that they were wore down, as you say, but actually for some unknown reason they forgot the most fundamental rule in football, TACKLING. Actually I blame this on a loss of focus and in no way was due to fatigue. As far as the game goes, it is quite refreshing to come into a playoff game and not have to wear the tag as "favorite". This Belfry team is really being underestimated. Not by Middlesboro's fans or the Belfry faithful but by most accounts on this websites and others their chances are slim to none to reach the carpet this year. Does it matter what others think? No, but how many times in Belfry history have they been considered an underdog at home in the playoffs? I can only think of maybe 2-3 times in my life. All in all this will be a dandy though. IMO if both teams play a perfect game(no turnovers, few penalities etc) then I see the Jackets coming away with the win. If Belfry can create a few turnovers and get out in front by 14+ then this one might get ugly. Like Ive said before, Middlesboro really scares me. More than I was actually scared before the Russell game last year(which we lost).

 

If Belfry gets the turnovers first(two by halftime-none theirself)

Belfry 41

Middlesboro 28

 

If Belfry continues to lay the ball on the ground like previous games

Middlesboro 34

Belfry20

Actually the lose to Ashland had absolutely nothing to do with the defense. A very logical decision by Coach Haywood to go for two on the road was the deciding factor. Not getting it cost us that game, not the defense in my opinion. Now the other lose could quite well be blamed on the defense. Not that they were wore down, as you say, but actually for some unknown reason they forgot the most fundamental rule in football, TACKLING. Actually I blame this on a loss of focus and in no way was due to fatigue. As far as the game goes, it is quite refreshing to come into a playoff game and not have to wear the tag as "favorite". This Belfry team is really being underestimated. Not by Middlesboro's fans or the Belfry faithful but by most accounts on this websites and others their chances are slim to none to reach the carpet this year. Does it matter what others think? No, but how many times in Belfry history have they been considered an underdog at home in the playoffs? I can only think of maybe 2-3 times in my life. All in all this will be a dandy though. IMO if both teams play a perfect game(no turnovers, few penalities etc) then I see the Jackets coming away with the win. If Belfry can create a few turnovers and get out in front by 14+ then this one might get ugly. Like Ive said before, Middlesboro really scares me. More than I was actually scared before the Russell game last year(which we lost).

 

If Belfry gets the turnovers first(two by halftime-none theirself)

Belfry 41

Middlesboro 28

 

If Belfry continues to lay the ball on the ground like previous games

Middlesboro 34

Belfry20

 

The loss to Ashland had to have something to do with the defense. When overtime started, who scored first?? I am assuming that Belfry let Ashland drive the field and score, which came before the decision to go for the two point conversion. Yes the two point conversion did ultimately keep them from winning but if Belfry's defense holds up to begin overtime, then they win that game.

 

About the second loss, wearing a defense down doesn't always mean physically. When a defense starts to get tired the very first thing that happens is they begin to make mental errors. So I would say that yes, they did begin to wear down. And don't under-estimate the role of fatigue on tackling. They are directly related. If you have ever played an entire game on defense and it was a game that required you to be on the field for a good portion of the game then you would relate with this.

:thumb: :thumb:

The loss to Ashland had to have something to do with the defense. When overtime started, who scored first?? I am assuming that Belfry let Ashland drive the field and score, which came before the decision to go for the two point conversion. Yes the two point conversion did ultimately keep them from winning but if Belfry's defense holds up to begin overtime, then they win that game.

 

About the second loss, wearing a defense down doesn't always mean physically. When a defense starts to get tired the very first thing that happens is they begin to make mental errors. So I would say that yes, they did begin to wear down. And don't under-estimate the role of fatigue on tackling. They are directly related. If you have ever played an entire game on defense and it was a game that required you to be on the field for a good portion of the game then you would relate with this.

 

Been there done that so I, too, understand the relation of fatigue to poor tackling but in most cases one can see this happening beyond the line of scrimmage. If that was the case in the Sheldon Clark game then we wouldnt have been missing tackles in their backfield. Fatigue had absolutely nothing to do with the missed tackles in that game, I am able to distinguish between fatigue and plain old bad fundamentals. Belfry might lose this game but I would bet the house that it wont come down to Belfry being tired on the defensive side of the ball. Maybe a case of the Jackets being more athletic but definately not from fatigue.:thumb:

One thing I would like to add. Sounds like some of you Belfry fans are really pushing Belfry into the "under-dog" role. It seems like you really want to create that title for your team. Seems to me like the number of un-biased fans think Belfry will win. Middlesboro is 0-3 againts Belfry in region championships & this game is being played at Belfry which is known as one of the toughest places for a visiting team to come in and get a win. This is a very evenly matched game but untill Middlesboro beats Belfry in a football game we have to be considered the underdog. Of course there is pressure to win on both teams but Belfry is not an underdog, thats Middlesboro card to play. The underdog doesn't feel the pressure, there out trying to do what the majority thinks they can't. Anyone who has played the game knows its easier to walk onto the field and play when people aren't placing huge expectations on you.

I fully agree that the difference between poor fundemental tackling and fatigue related tackling is easily distinguishable. I can also see how a fan would be frustrated with missed tackles in the backfield. Those are the hardest to watch. I don't expect Belfry to wear down late in the game at all. We are deep in the post season and fatigue rarely plays a factor in these games. I was merely defending the fact Middlesboro's defense won't wear down as well.

 

By the way, fans who watched Middlesboro earlier in the season know all too well the effect of poor tackling...hence Middlesboro's only loss to start the season off. Worst tackling I've ever season from Middlesboro defense. However, I feel they are much improved in that aspect.

 

If I had to designate the biggest weakness in our defense it is simply blown assignments which usually turn into big plays for the other team in our hit-or-miss type defensive mentality.

One thing I would like to add. Sounds like some of you Belfry fans are really pushing Belfry into the "under-dog" role. It seems like you really want to create that title for your team. Seems to me like the number of un-biased fans think Belfry will win. Middlesboro is 0-3 againts Belfry in region championships & this game is being played at Belfry which is known as one of the toughest places for a visiting team to come in and get a win. This is a very evenly matched game but untill Middlesboro beats Belfry in a football game we have to be considered the underdog. Of course there is pressure to win on both teams but Belfry is not an underdog, thats Middlesboro card to play. The underdog doesn't feel the pressure, there out trying to do what the majority thinks they can't. Anyone who has played the game knows its easier to walk onto the field and play when people aren't placing huge expectations on you.

 

We're not used to that "underdog" role and maybe we are trying to recapture the magic we used at Middlesboro in 2003 as the underdog. You cant blame us for trying.:D Seriously though, I dont think either team could be considered an underdog. I, honestly give a slight edge to the Jackets in the total team package but Belfry has the homefield thus IMO results in a pretty even matchup. Believe me, I would much rather be the team favored to win this game. When a team is favored they seem to have more room to make mistakes and still win. In this game I see neither team being able to make mistakes and still pull out the win.

I know this is a bit off of subject, but if Belfry were to win, would they play at Russell? Of course, Russell would have to win first.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.