Ohio State or Oklahoma for the playoffs, make your case

Jumper_Dad

Gene Smith the OSU AD, should send RTS, and all of the OSU haters on here a check. You need haters, haters = dollars. If people aren’t talking about you, they don’t know you. If you removed OSU from discussion in the CFB threads, it would lose 25-50% of its value, people will pay to hate OSU. What’s a UC thread get, 4-6 post on a good topic?

That’s a marketing tip from Uncle John to all of the young entrepreneurs on here.

We’re gonna be 10-15 pages into this debate only for whoever gets the 4th seed to lose to Alabama lol. Everybody knows that, but they get their money’s worth telling everyone why it shouldn’t be OSU.

OSU only gets 50% of its value from us OR, they get the other 50% from everyone else always talking about them.

It's amazing how when you disagree with an OSU fan, point out how comparing scores is a bad comparison or just simply don't fall all over anything and everything OSU, you're a hater. :lol2:

So, let me get this straight. If we say Oklahoma and ND should get in over OSU based on record and and their current ranking, when others on here are making a case for OSU to jump them, you want to pretend it's hate for OSU? I mean, the title of the thread is "Ohio State or Oklahoma for the playoffs, make your case" and somehow that makes us haters? :idunno: I didn't bring ND into this thread, I merely pointed out why saying if OSU wins this weekend they shouldn't jump an undefeated team. Again, that making me a hater in your mind is absurd, but funny.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll let Joe Boozell from NCAA.com explain it. This was after the latest CFP rankings were released. He said:

"If Alabama and Oklahoma take care of business in their conference championships, the Sooners will likely be College Football Playoff bound, because a win over Texas would hold more weight than an Ohio State win over Northwestern in the Big Ten title game. Oklahoma doesn't control its own destiny, but all things considered, it has a great shot to be one of the final four teams standing. And it feels right to slot Oklahoma ahead of Ohio State. The Sooners have flaws, but we know they have a historically potent offense. The Buckeyes are all over the place. One week, they'll cream Michigan. Another, they'll barely eke one out against Maryland. It's tight, but the committee made the right call here."

Link

Tom Fornelli from CBS Sports said:

"If you were to compare the resumes of Ohio State and Oklahoma, the Buckeyes clearly have a stronger set of wins. They've beaten No. 7 Michigan by 23 points and picked up a close road win against No. 12 Penn State. At the moment, Oklahoma's most impressive win is a narrow road victory over No. 16 West Virginia, and it's next-best win is a 10-point road win over No. 23 Iowa State. So, using the committee's own rankings, Ohio State has two wins better than any single win the Sooners have.

The difference is the quality of each team's loss. Oklahoma lost to No. 14 Texas by three points on a neutral field. Ohio State lost to 6-6 Purdue by 29 points. Had Ohio State only lost to Purdue by a touchdown, it's likely ranked ahead of the Sooners right now, but it's difficult to look past the way the Buckeyes were embarrassed in that game.

You could also point to Ohio State's close calls with 5-7 Maryland and 4-8 Nebraska. If Maryland converts on a two-point conversion, the Buckeyes aren't even in the conversation right now. Of course, if you're going to bring up the games in which Ohio State struggled, you also have to mention that Oklahoma has a few of its own. It was a rivalry game, sure, but if not for a failed two-point conversion the Sooners would have lost at home to a 6-6 Oklahoma State team. There was also the five-point win over a 5-7 Texas Tech and that overtime win over Army.

Clearly, both of these teams have flaws. But while Oklahoma may have flaws, it doesn't have an embarrassing loss. And that's why the Sooners' road to the College Football Playoff seems pretty clear."

Link

How this got to 12 pages I have no idea. I don’t have the care nor the inclination to go back and read any of it since I last commented. All I’m going to say is this committee is just plain goofy man. Like just tell us that Ohio State is behind Oklahoma because of the loss to Purdue. It’s really not a big deal. Why try to go around it by spewing some crap? Ohio State has better wins and a bad but still better than Oklahoma defense. Most on here have been rational about that fact that it’s the Purdue loss holding Ohio State back and I’m cool with that. Literally every other factor is either a wash or in Ohio State’s favor. Just say what we all know what you are thinking and say you don’t want to put Ohio State in because they loss to Purdue. Stop acting like a coward Rob Mullens and just say it.

You all do realize the haters you all say isnt because of OSU. Its because of you fans and some of the outlandish things you all say when talking about OSU. So yes it will lead to many haters because of the fan base. Same reason most people hhttp://bluegrasspreps.com/images/smilies/lol.gifate UK basketball. Its not because of the success of UK. Its because of the many stupid arrogant things UK fans say.

:lol2: .........…. and I didn't mention any name and one emerges …. example A of what I and probably JA was speaking of. :sneaky:

As for the question / thread subject …. it's now really hard to say. OSU lost to an imo average at best Purdue team. OU lost to a good Texas team. OSU has shown a great offense along with an average defense. The Buckeyes have again this season, fallen into a "play down" / "just play as hard as we to for a win" to weaker competition in some games. Last week vs. Michigan, the Bucks showed how good they are and just how dominate they can be. Everyone knows what talent that OSU has, it's as good as anyone and better than most.

Oklahoma imo has shown exactly who they are …. a not good, but great offense than can light up the scoreboard on anyone. OU's down fall is a defense that can't stop anyone. In their last four games, OU has given up an avg. of 47 points per game. The Sooners offense has to score like a video game to win .

This coming weekend will be the deciding factor between the two. OU gets the chance to avenge their one loss vs. Texas. Oklahoma has shown consistency ….. A great offense with a terrible defense. Ohio State has been good but inconsistent in how they play. Everyone knows how good, how much talent on both sides of the ball that OSU has but they haven't shown it all in a complete game until last Sat. vs. that team up North.

I personally believe that OSU is the better team. Having said that, I don't argue with this week's cfb playoff rankings that has 5. OU ahead of 6. OSU. The Sooners have the chance to avenge their only loss (Texas) in the Big12 championship game. OSU imo has to blow Northwestern off the field in their conference title game. A same type of showing as this past Saturday..

I guess this "opinion" post on the thread subject was too demanding that Ohio State should be in the CFB playoffs :idunno:. I didn't say how anyone that disagreed with my opinion was wrong, nothing like that at all. But yet, it's made to sound like I wouldn't listen to / consider any opinion other than my own.

So, who is really mocking another opinion here ?? I think that's obvious, but others may disagree. I merely voiced my opinion in the bolded sentence of my earlier post.

My work here is done. :D

Here’s my humble opinion about which should get in: neither.

Even if Georgia loses to Alabama, which they more likely will, the Bulldogs are better than either Ohio State or Oklahoma. However, if Georgia loses to Alabama their playoff hopes are toast. If they beat Alabama then Alabama is still in but so is Georgia, almost the same setup as last year with the exception of Notre Dame.

As a general statement with fandom and dispelling "my team is hated the most" on BGP, as far as dislike goes, easily there are more people that dislike UK and UL (for obvious geographical reasons), and Notre Dame (because of the national appeal and everyone having an opinion). tOSU comes in a distant next because there are some loyal fans that like to mix it up on here and the team normally being in the mix. Still battling for that #4 spot ;)

The notion that OSU is the most hated team on this board is a hilariously bad take, and just shows the arrogance they have. An even worse take than normally comes from that direction. Desperate to be the center of attention. And you’re right, OSU is at best the fourth most disliked team on BGP. It’s not even close.

:lol2: .........…. and I didn't mention any name and one emerges …. example A of what I and probably JA was speaking of. :sneaky:

Example A of what I was speaking about and hence the reply to your alls post. The only reason why their are haters as you all say, is because of the arrogant completely over the top things you all say. Once again people dont hate OSU or jealous of them or anything like that. As I said it's the same reason why people hate UK basketball, it's the fans they hate. Your reply is example number one of that.

Especially since you all acted like people just randomly brought up OSU in this thread. Even though it's a title called OSU or Oklahoma. Someone says they think OSU should be in. People say why they shouldn't and then you all start your arrogant haters post lol. Once again those are examples of why you all have haters as you all say. Just simply saying that is arrogant as can be. People hate the fans not the team.

The notion that OSU is the most hated team on this board is a hilariously bad take, and just shows the arrogance they have. An even worse take than normally comes from that direction. Desperate to be the center of attention. And you’re right, OSU is at best the fourth most disliked team on BGP. It’s not even close.

Watch out, your going to be example C.

People say why they shouldn't and then you all start your arrogant haters post lol. Once again those are examples of why you all have haters as you all say. Just simply saying that is arrogant as can be. People hate the fans not the team.
Read my post again. I said that "I thought" that OSU is the better team. (meaning when OSU plays like they did vs. Mich.). Then, right after that I said that I understood why they ranked OK. ahead of OSU. Now if that's arrogant or attacking anyone, including you then I can't help you, lol.

I am speaking for myself, the other OSU fans on here like @John Anthony do a very good job of speaking for themselves. You certainly are entitled to your opinion and I honestly respect that but … I attacked No One and if you can't see that then that's you …..I'm done here and trying to explain my post to you and others bc that's obviously impossible. So carry on if you want, I'm done on this thread.

To be fair, JA and Grant have both called me and others OSU haters. Just because we disagree on OSU belonging in the playoff or that we feel like the Big 10 is not that strong this year doesn't make one a hater.
O.K., I read those post. I didn't join in bc it seemed that JA and yourself were doing a very good job of making your points to one another, neither needed any help. :popcorn: :lol2: