Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Largest crowds for high school football game?

Featured Replies

What is the largest crowd (attendance) that you have personally been a part of at a high school football game? What is the record for ST. Xavier vs Trinity? The state of Kentucky?

What is the largest crowd (attendance) that you have personally been a part of at a high school football game? What is the record for St. Xavier vs Trinity? The state of Kentucky?

 

The record for the St. X vs. Trinity attendance was 38,000 back in 2008.

The record for the St. X vs. Trinity attendance was 38,000 back in 2008.

 

That's awesome. Where was it played at? The old Papa John's?

That's awesome. Where was it played at? The old Papa John's?

 

Yep.

I was at the 2008 X/T game, so that’s definitely the largest.

September 30, 1977

Nippert Stadium (on campus of the University of Cincinnati)

Cincinnati Moeller vs. Monsignor Farrell High School (Staten Island, NY)

Attendance: 24,000 (more than the Reds that night and more than the Bearcats the next night)

 

Farrell raises $20,000 to fly down and play the best.

Final score - Moeller 30, Farrell 0

The largest crowd I remember during a game I broadcast was the 1984 meeting between Oldham County (ranked #2 in "state 4A") and Shelby County (ranked #1 in "state 4A).

 

The game was played in Shelbyville and featured the prolific option attach of coach Tom Becherer at Shelby, a team averaging over 30 points per game, and the stingy defense of coach Terry Bean's Oldham County Colonel squad, which allowed less than four points a game and shutout 6 opponents during what would ultimately be a 13-1 season.

 

Both teams entered the game 9-0. Unfortunately, they were in a three-team district with Bullitt Central, and only the winner of this game would make the playoffs. The loser would be one of the highest-ranked / winningest teams to miss the playoffs.

 

As if all of the above wasn't enough, this was also back in the day when Oldham and Shelby were fierce rivals in everything. (since, Oldham County has added two more high schools and Shelby has added one, diluting the old rivalry)

 

I broadcast the game over two cable systems....the stadium was expected to be overflowing with fans (it was), so they added portable bleachers to each end zone, creating a "bowl" effect. As I was told, the attendance wound up around 8,000. Again, nothing like the X-T games by a good margin, but far more than the average HS game by a large margin.

 

This year, the biggest crowd I've seen was South Oldham's 23-17 win over Oldham County in Buckner. Both stands were jammed to the gills, and the standing crowd encircled the field on the track....but I never heard the estimated attendance numbers. Nevertheless, it was an electric atmosphere when essentially every seat - and more - is filled.

 

CM

What was Friday night's attendance for St. X and Trinity?

@TheDeuce

 

I think I saw 18,000.

What was Friday night's attendance for St. X and Trinity?

@TheDeuce

 

It was estimated at 18,500. I guessed around 20,000.

The largest crowd I remember during a game I broadcast was the 1984 meeting between Oldham County (ranked #2 in "state 4A") and Shelby County (ranked #1 in "state 4A).

 

The game was played in Shelbyville and featured the prolific option attach of coach Tom Becherer at Shelby, a team averaging over 30 points per game, and the stingy defense of coach Terry Bean's Oldham County Colonel squad, which allowed less than four points a game and shutout 6 opponents during what would ultimately be a 13-1 season.

 

Both teams entered the game 9-0. Unfortunately, they were in a three-team district with Bullitt Central, and only the winner of this game would make the playoffs. The loser would be one of the highest-ranked / winningest teams to miss the playoffs.

 

As if all of the above wasn't enough, this was also back in the day when Oldham and Shelby were fierce rivals in everything. (since, Oldham County has added two more high schools and Shelby has added one, diluting the old rivalry)

 

I broadcast the game over two cable systems....the stadium was expected to be overflowing with fans (it was), so they added portable bleachers to each end zone, creating a "bowl" effect. As I was told, the attendance wound up around 8,000. Again, nothing like the X-T games by a good margin, but far more than the average HS game by a large margin.

 

This year, the biggest crowd I've seen was South Oldham's 23-17 win over Oldham County in Buckner. Both stands were jammed to the gills, and the standing crowd encircled the field on the track....but I never heard the estimated attendance numbers. Nevertheless, it was an electric atmosphere when essentially every seat - and more - is filled.

 

CM

How could you peak my competitive instincts so eloquently and not tell us the results of the game? Cruel and unusual punishment! Sadists!

Biggest crowd for a high school stadium was 12,000 in Oxford, Alabama . Oxford vs Wellborn. Schools are 10miles apart. It was a regular season game. Oxford won 9-7 to finish 9-1 and make it to the state finals.

How could you peak my competitive instincts so eloquently and not tell us the results of the game? Cruel and unusual punishment! Sadists!

 

LOL! Was just thinking about the crowd.....

 

Final: #2 Oldham County 10, #1 Shelby County 7

Shelby's only score came after an Oldham pick deep in OC territory led to a short-field opportunity. I think Lee Tinsley was the Shelby QB if memory serves.

 

The next week, Oldham was #1 and 11-0 and Shelby was #2 with a 10-1 record. The Rockets are perhaps the highest ranked team in KY history to miss the playoffs.

 

Notice the correction in the records. In going over my original post, I realized I quoted both as coming into the game at 9-0. Back then, you played 11 regular season games, and this was the final regular season game of the season. Both came into the game 10-0.

 

CM

Largest attendance at a High School game I attended - Highlands vs Elder

 

Per Cincinnati.com "Some of the biggest games ever at Paul Brown Stadium date back almost two decades. According to the Bengals, the Elder-Highlands game in 2000 drew more than 30,000 fans and the OHSAA playoff doubleheader in 2001 between St. Xavier-Princeton and Colerain-Elder attracted more than 47,000 fans." Adam Baum, Cincinnati Enquirer Published 1:00 p.m. ET July 18, 2018

 

It was a Highlands Home game so they received the money from the gate. After a long delay because they could not process all the crowd (unanticipated) they opened the gate and let people in for free. First the lower level of the stadium filled to capacity and then they opened the top sections.

 

Even with the free entry they still collected in the 6 figure range for the game.

 

HHS lost the game on a controversial play that the big screen replay showed the Ref's error but because there was no review the play stood as called. Was a good game and fun night.

1995 Woodford County vs Leslie County at county stadium in Versailles was a huge crowd. No way if knowing the #s but Tim Couch was at QB for Leslie and this was the closest he came to Lexington after committing to the Cats. Crazy night for sure! Nailed my trumpet solo at halftime though, so even if they humiliated us on the scoreboard, it wasn’t a complete loss! Tim did toss a couple picks, to the same DB, something I don’t think any KY high school players could claim before or after that night. I’m sure Kenneth Johns still remembers it well.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.