Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Holy Cross High School Valedictorian Speech

Featured Replies

While I didn't see much wrong with the valedictorians speech, I found nothing wrong with this speech. Only thing I can think of is that they didn’t let her deliver due to not allowing the other or the fact that both were sent in for approval too late as indicated in the article? I happen to know a couple of folks mentioned so eventually I’ll find out the scoop.

In one article I read, the young man's mother says that they were told that it was because they missed the deadline, but when they replied that they weren't given a deadline, they were then told that it was because of the content. If that's true, I wonder why the need to lie the first time?

  • Replies 55
  • Views 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Off topic—but I’m surprised that there was an intitial time allotment for 2 student speeches. We were told that our ceremony would be done in 1 hour, and it was. Only one speech given, the Valedictorian. Maybe we had a larger class than HC, which took up the time as individuals are called by name.

 

Both speeches were not long and the fact that the bishop was a no show tells me something was not right.

It's national news now. Just seems would've been best to let him give the speech. Pretty much guaranteed I or many others would have not heard a thing about it.

Does the bishop normally attend graduations?

Yes. As far as I know. He was at the graduation for my 3 graduates.

As a Catholic, I'd just suggest to all to do what I do: Be a Cafeteria Catholic (pick and choose which of the church rules to follow) because at the end of the day, the bishop and all bishops have just one primary job these days: Fund raising.

 

Tired of the church trying to be in my pocket, my bedroom, what speeches I am allowed to hear and everything else. If the church can clean up its own problems first, then maybe I will let it give me some advice.

  • Author
Does the bishop normally attend graduations?

 

Yes, they schedule all diocese High School graduations so he can attend. He gives his speech, promises to be brief and makes a comment about being a Steelers fan. I’ve heard the speech several times.

I didn't see anything wrong with either speech.

As a Catholic, I'd just suggest to all to do what I do: Be a Cafeteria Catholic (pick and choose which of the church rules to follow) because at the end of the day, the bishop and all bishops have just one primary job these days: Fund raising.

 

Tired of the church trying to be in my pocket, my bedroom, what speeches I am allowed to hear and everything else. If the church can clean up its own problems first, then maybe I will let it give me some advice.

 

Or tell me how to vote...

 

Thanks for this camelman. As direct and in your face as this is.... I couldn’t help but nod in solidarity and crack up at the same time.

No more Politics or this thread is done.

In some weird way this is progress, right?

 

20 years ago you may have been kicked out to burn in hell but today it is a discussion.

 

What am I missing?

We all realize this has nothing to do with the text of the speech and has more to do with diocese lack of trust in the student because of past actions correct?

 

This whole story reeks as a setup and PR stunt. The journalist who wrote the story left out a ton of context. Either willfully or naively.

We all realize this has nothing to do with the text of the speech and has more to do with diocese lack of trust in the student because of past actions correct?

 

This whole story reeks as a setup and PR stunt. The journalist who wrote the story left out a ton of context. Either willfully or naively.

 

I'd be curious to know what some of the left out context is. I've really only seen and heard stuff from the students side.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.