Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Holy Cross High School Valedictorian Speech

Featured Replies

Gotta love the Media though. Make sure to let everyone know the student is gay. That way the masses can say thats the reason his speech got cancelled. Even though the other speech was a no go too.

  • Replies 55
  • Views 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta love the Media though. Make sure to let everyone know the student is gay. That way the masses can say thats the reason his speech got cancelled. Even though the other speech was a no go too.

 

I thought the same thing.

 

Though it is mentioned that the salutatorian's speech was also rejected, it's not the focus, which seems to try to imply that it might have something to do with him being gay, and while we don't know for sure, the salutatorian's speech also being rejected gives more reason to believe that it isn't, unless they rejected hers to try to eliminate it looking like it was.

 

No doubt though... the media seems to be implying things and only concentrating on him rather than her.

 

I'd feel more comfortable if the focus wasn't on anyone's sexuality, and more so on having the church help us understand what their objection truly was.

 

The only redeeming thing for me in focusing on his sexuality, is to express something that I've known my whole life that being gay doesn't effect anyone's ability to be intellectually capable, and so much that one can be gay and still be at the top of their class, which to me seems to speak volumes that one's sexuality straight or gay isn't an indicator of being maladjusted, or lesser or better than. One's true sexuality just is what it is, and shouldn't have any bearing on one being able to live a completely sound, adjusted, and successful life.

Gotta love the Media though. Make sure to let everyone know the student is gay. That way the masses can say thats the reason his speech got cancelled. Even though the other speech was a no go too.

 

I think being openly gay in a Catholic school is pertinent in this situation. Maybe the Diocese was afraid he would alter his speech to address this. The other speech was collateral damage IMO.

it's extremely hypocritical for them to pick and choose what is moral and what isn't.

 

It's a religious school, so their perception of morality will be taught. Why would someone choose to go to a religious school if they knew that these problems would arise?

 

I am not Catholic, but I do admier the Catholic Church for not changing their doctrine to satisfy the liberal agenda or to be more politically correct.

 

I saw the kid on the news, he seems to be a very impressive young man. He is defintely smarter than I was in high school with my amazing 2.7 GPA as a 19 year old senior.

I'm with what Beechwoodfan said in the post above.

 

I remember going to one of my siblings' graduations, and the valedictorian gave a completely different (and very inappropriate) speech than the one he gave the high school for their approval prior to the commencement ceremony. I realize that's a risk that a school runs with essentially every valedictorian giving a speech, but still, I don't know anything about this kid or his personality. I would guess that the faculty and staff at Holy Cross knows him better than the average BGPer. Maybe they felt like they had real cause to be concerned about what he would say in the actual speech that he gave, compared to what he turned in for them to proof.

 

As for the salutatorian not giving their speech...I would be surprised if any school told the valedictorian that they couldn't give their speech and then turned around and allowed the salutatorian to give theirs. That's really just a non-issue.

I have no issue with the student's speech, nor do I have any issue with the diocese or school (or whomever it was) not allowing it.

It's a religious school, so their perception of morality will be taught. Why would someone choose to go to a religious school if they knew that these problems would arise?

 

I am not Catholic, but I do admier the Catholic Church for not changing their doctrine to satisfy the liberal agenda or to be more politically correct.

 

I saw the kid on the news, he seems to be a very impressive young man. He is defintely smarter than I was in high school with my amazing 2.7 GPA as a 19 year old senior.

 

I send my kids to Catholic schools and have a solid understanding of the morality taught. I can guess, but it still remains unclear to me why the speech was not allowed.

 

I admire the Catholic Church too – it’s where I find the greatest love, forgiveness, peace and hope that I’m constantly searching for in my life. However I find it offensive and degrading and sad when it’s used as a pawn in the conservative/liberal/political correctness war in our society.

This must have been a very short graduation because there were no speeches or messages from the bishop.

I send my kids to Catholic schools and have a solid understanding of the morality taught. I can guess, but it still remains unclear to me why the speech was not allowed.

 

I admire the Catholic Church too – it’s where I find the greatest love, forgiveness, peace and hope that I’m constantly searching for in my life. However I find it offensive and degrading and sad when it’s used as a pawn in the conservative/liberal/political correctness war in our society.

 

How can it remain unclear to you why the speech wasn't allowed, when you post that what is in the speech is offensive and degrading?

I guess we are never going to know why the speech was not allowed because in typical high school fashion it is ambiguous and that is the way the powers that be like it.

 

However, just reading what is in Mr. Bales speech it looks pretty clear to me (as already referenced in this thread) that he is attacking the 2nd Amendment and he is a gun control advocate which means we have come to a point where we are not going to discuss this on BGP because it becomes Political.

 

I will add one parting shot, there is a reason insurance companies don't give you a top rate until you are 25 years old. Or in terms more young people can relate to, a reason you should stay away from Marijuana until you are 25 years old, it is because generally speaking science says your brain doesn't mature fully until you are 25.

 

So coming full circle everyone, all you high school students out there, how about getting out into real world for a decade or so, gain some real life and work experience, think these issues through, let your brain mature, talk to some police officers and members of the military, and then "the adults" may be ready to listen.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.