Summer Vacation 2018

TTS_JF

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Family with young kids. Big on hanging out at the beach. Will definitely be doing some fishing

We prefer to hit the beach semi-early in the morning and come in around 11:30 am for a snack and rest. Then we get ready and leave about 3:00 for dinner to beat the crowds. Return to condo and have the rest of the day to enjoy the beach as people filter out. They can go spend time waiting in line to eat while we enjoy a less crowded and cooler beach. Then enjoy some leftovers later or for snack the next day. There are a couple of seafood markets out fort Morgan road who will season and steam shrimp you buy from them on the spot. One close in by the Family Dollar store and another about 13ish miles out on the left with the Behind the Pines restaurant (another good place to eat and definitely not fancy).

A lot of fishing charters go out of orange beach and the marina at fort Morgan. There is usually a small booklet you can find at the welcome center and at stores, etc that usually has charter info and phone numbers. You can pay to fish off the dock at the marina also and I think they rent equipment. There are some who fish from the beach in the mornings. I've never done any of that even though I love to fish.

What else ya want?

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Upper Peninsula for a week. Going to a Twins game, a train ride up the coast of Lake Superior from Duluth, a day cruise to Pictured Rocks in Michigan, Mackinac Island, Lambeau Field, and anything else we see along the way.

• 2 weeks later...
Love gulf shores. When the children were younger we hit the beach nearly every year...more out in Ft. Morgan. Way less crowded. Love the seafood, esp the original oyster house, docs, tacky jacks, and the steamer.

Ft Morgan is where we normally go now...usually stay at the Beach Club. Going down in July with my parents then our annual fall break trip in October with a big group from Henderson.

Family with young kids. Big on hanging out at the beach. Will definitely be doing some fishing

This is me although I've never done much fishing down there. We like to hit the beach around 10:00 and pretty much stay out until 5:00 or 6:00. Some days we take a break and go the outlet mall in Foley or take the kids to the go cart track / arcade. There's a pretty nice one as you come into Gulf Shores called the track. A pretty good place to take the kids for lunch is the Hangout. It can be pretty pack at dinner so we typically go at lunch. It's kind of touristy but a fun atmosphere. It's right on the beach in Gulf Shores.

Third summer in a row heading to Northern Michigan. 70-75 during the day and 55-60 during the night in late June/early July. Right in the sweet spot for me. Can’t wait.

Whereabouts up there? UP or northern part of the lower state. We lived in Manistee, a bit south of Traverse City for a while. It is really a beautiful state up there!

We will take day trail rides on the horses around the state, and we will probably go to Manhattan, KS to visit mini-doomette and family. We will have both sets of granddaughters with us for some of the summer, so zoo trips, museums, etc. will be on the itinerary.

Just got back from San Diego for a work trip that included fun, and have another work trip to The Broadmoor in late October, so I am counting those as "vacations". I will actually use PTO to stay home and spend time with my granddaughters. My son and daughter-in-law decided not to enroll them in summer pre-school this year, so I will be able to have some great times with them that don't fall on weekends, which is fantastic!

St. Augustine to visit my parents in late June; our typical getaway. Weather permitting, Crescent Beach in the mornings, dip in the pool before afternoon activities. We like to head over to Cross Creek, Micanopy, Ocala, sometimes Gainesville.

And we will be consuming mass quantities of seafood.

St. Augustine to visit my parents in late June; our typical getaway. Weather permitting, Crescent Beach in the mornings, dip in the pool before afternoon activities. We like to head over to Cross Creek, Micanopy, Ocala, sometimes Gainesville.

And we will be consuming mass quantities of seafood.

Micanopy? Can't get enough of that "We Bare All" restaurant at I-75?

"Hey. I found this hair in my soup!" :yuck:

Whereabouts up there? UP or northern part of the lower state. We lived in Manistee, a bit south of Traverse City for a while. It is really a beautiful state up there!

I'll agree. I do think there are parts of Michigan that are beautiful. I traveled in the Battle Creek - Kalamazoo - Grand Rapids - Holland areas extensively for work. Didn't hurt that I'm a craft beer guy but I loved those cities.