Personal "Sweet 16" Traditions

What are some of your "going to the Sweet 16" personal traditions???

I've got a bunch of them.

1) Going down a day early, having dinner at Paisano's on Nicholasville, Tuesday evening.

Hard to find a place that serves great veal these days. Then walking next door to the Panda Express for a bag of fortune cookies to take back to the room for later.

2) Spending at least one (or more) afternoons at the Red Mile playing the simulcast ponies.

It's good to mix a few horses with your hoops.

3) Grabbing a couple of burgers at the Cook Out on Broadway after the games.

Best burgers in town in my estimation.

4) Parking at the Print Shop off of Maxwell. Have been parking at the same place since the tournament moved back to Rupp in 1996. Still only charges me $5, BUT that walk from Maxwell across the main parking lot to Rupp gets longer each year.

5) Try to swing by Joseph Beth Bookseller at Lexington Green on Nicholasville. Lots of neat horse racing and basketball related books there.

6) Enjoying at least one Prairie Meadows Soft Serve, and a couple of Polish Sausages each trip.

In recent years I've been taking the inexpensive easy stay-at-home route by watching the Sweet 16 online, however deep in my heart I know that nothing can replace the experience of being there.

From watching online you miss out on the excitement and energy at Rupp, and all of the accompanying goose bumps that go along with it.

From the very first game at noon on Wednesday it never fails that I'm overcome with emotional tingles as the first two teams excitedly run out on the floor to begin their warmups while I'm thinking inside what a thrill it is for these guys to be playing in the state tournament on the same floor as their heros the legendary Kentucky Wildcats, as well as anticipating what unforeseen magic is about to ensue in the upcoming 15 games, and the heart that will be on vivid display from named players that we expect to do well, to names of heros we have yet to learn, along with all of the one shining moments from some of the teams that we know little about.

Sure, the tournament itself is enough to amaze, entertain, and satisfy, but for me there is something exciting as well as relaxing about being in Lexington, which I consider to be a charming slice of friendly laid back historical smaller town elegance that feels much more unhurried than my everyday experience in the busier Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area.

At this time in mid-March there's beginning to be a fresh and cool spring-in-the-air feeling that not only promises the exciting madness of the games, but a sense of renewal and anticipation for better days ahead that reawakens ones inner spirit to accomplish good health and happiness that seems to have been stifled a bit from the little bit too much coziness and inactivity of winter. The song of the birds chirping in the grand old trees might suggest that they would also agree.

I enjoy arriving a couple of hours early to my free (I've never paid once) parking spot on one of the close by historical streets lined with classic 1800's architecture and casually stroll around admiring big old homes and mansions that have become favorites of mine, to ones that are new discoveries.

Most of the time I'll find my way to the back door of the Victoria Square shops through this little attractive mall created from an entire street of combined historical buildings that will directly skywalk me over to the food court at Rupp Arena, and wander around in-doors and outside, and inside the hotel lobby to feel the buzz of the early-arrivers who are also obviously filled with excitement and anticipation of the soon-to-begin legendary tournament.

Though nothing terribly unusual to most Kentuckians, this Northerner gets a thrill out of hearing all of the various southern accents from around this great state, which for me only adds to the charm of the whole Sweet 16 experience. For a short while I get to also see what it feels like to be a real Kentuckian.

Typically Thursday or Friday mornings previous to the games will find me taking a stroll up and down Main & Vine Streets to feel the vibe of the downtown area, and along with it a mainstay visit to the Lexington branch of the Fayette County Public Library with it's amazing five leveled rotunda lobby that doubles as a roman numeral clock including a ceiling to floor pendulum, the world's largest. I also always enjoy passing by the classic Lexington Theatre and admiring its retro look.

It seems that there's always a musical scheduled during the Sweet 16 by the School of Performing Arts at the stunning and classic Lexington Opera House, so on a couple of occasions I've treated myself to a show there.

Between sessions I'll typically take in some quiet time at the nearby historical Gratz Park near Transylvania University admiring it's charm and surrounding architecture including the old Carnegie Library that's been converted into a center for Literacy and Learning. While I look forward to seeing these familiar places, I also enjoy new discoveries, so I'll make a point of heading off down various side streets I have yet to see where I'll undoubtedly find other historical properties worth admiring.

Occasionally I'll wonder off in the direction of UK's main campus which typically will find me heading toward their huge and impressive uniquely structured 4 sided library.

Because the games welcomely consume much of my time, I've not allowed for much outside of these simple rituals, but no matter how seemingly small and insignificant, my short time in good old friendly Lexington, Ky would not be complete without them.

Before moving to Lexington would come down on Tues. night stayed at either the Hyatt or Radison either Wed. or Thurs. which ever we thought would be the least competitive games and go golfing a (a little golf mixed in with hoops is good) come back and watch the NCAA games on tv. One thing I miss after the games is walking across to Desha's and eating dinner.

• 11 months later...

Getting to see the same people that sit around us each year. It is like a reunion. I love eating at the Hilton. They have the best fish sandwich with banana pepper cole slaw. If certain teams make the sweet sixteen that I am close to someone in the program, they will bring me a tee shirt from their school and I will wear it during their games.I used to wear the color of the team that won form our region. I had to stop that as I own no purple. But I always cheer for our region.

I love going to Columbia on Limestone. Have made a couple day trips to Woodford and Wild Turkey while waiting for Warren Central games. Also love going to Bluegrass Brewworks (?) next to Columbia and watching some of the NCAA games. A bummer they are playing the Sweet 16 so early this year.