UC vs Ohio State to Open Remodeled 5/3rd Arena

Budman

No propaganda, hearsay, or accusations...just facts. Why have Cincinnati and Ohio State been so reluctant to play each other over the last century?

Because Ohio State for the most part has had nothing to gain from playing UC.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two of the top 20 programs in the history of college basketball are starting a home and home series for the first time in 98 years. There is no better opponent UC could have signed to reopen 5/3 Arena...

New coach who is willing to make it happen and it is great for the state but that last comment is simply not true.

New coach who is willing to make it happen and it is great for the state but that last comment is simply not true.

I work in reality. Duke, Kentucky and UNC aren't coming. OSU finally was. There is no better option than that to open the arena. You can argue it all you want. You'd be wrong...

I work in reality. Duke, Kentucky and UNC aren't coming. OSU finally was. There is no better option than that to open the arena. You can argue it all you want. You'd be wrong...

If that's what you meant originally, then yes. If the date was flexible would you rather have Xavier?

If that's what you meant originally, then yes. If the date was flexible would you rather have Xavier?

And risk losing the debut game in the new digs, why would they do that? Not being funny, but Ohio State is the PERFECT first game: they are uber high profile, especially in-state, the UC fan base will LOVE the game, and UC wins comfortably. Win / Win / Win. Plus, they'll still get their high-energy sellout vs Xavier at a later date.

No...

If the home and home continues, which is the bigger rivalry game, XU or OSU? I view XU and UC like UK and UofL (THE rivalry game) where I see UC and OSU like UK and IU (intense rivalry but not THE rivalry). Would that be accurate?

If the home and home continues, which is the bigger rivalry game, XU or OSU? I view XU and UC like UK and UofL (THE rivalry game) where I see UC and OSU like UK and IU (intense rivalry but not THE rivalry). Would that be accurate?

X and UC is the rivalry, but in this specific situation OSU is the perfect choice to move units. OSU hasn't played UC in Cincinnati in 98 years. UC is going to sell out the season before sales even go to mini plans in large part because of this game. It is a massive deal in this town...

X and UC is the rivalry, but in this specific situation OSU is the perfect choice to move units. OSU hasn't played UC in Cincinnati in 98 years. UC is going to sell out the season before sales even go to mini plans in large part because of this game. It is a massive deal in this town...

Outside of the OPINION that I think it would be cool to start with Xavier, we haven't disagreed on anything. Not sure why you try so hard to find disagreements.

Outside of the OPINION that I think it would be cool to start with Xavier, we haven't disagreed on anything. Not sure why you try so hard to find disagreements.

Your opinion being wrong is a you problem. :lol2:

UC/X opening the arena is going to sell no more tickets if it is the opening game or senior night. OSU coming in for the first time in 98 years and doing so in a highly adverse situation is as good as UC possibly could have done.

To think otherwise is being a contrarian that is taking a terrible stance just to be a contrarian.

I take a strong stance against terrible takes. If you feel that is aimed at you...

Your opinion being wrong is a you problem. :lol2:

UC/X opening the arena is going to sell no more tickets if it is the opening game or senior night. OSU coming in for the first time in 98 years and doing so in a highly adverse situation is as good as UC possibly could have done.

To think otherwise is being a contrarian that is taking a terrible stance just to be a contrarian.

I take a strong stance against terrible takes. If you feel that is aimed at you...

XU and OSU would sell out anytime, any place, so that's irrelevant. I asked about the rivalries because I know the UK rivalries better. If UK opened a new arena, who better to open it up with than Louisville. That is under contract and not possible unless there was a delay in construction and you opened in late December. Next, one of the top, elite programs would be great. If you couldn't get any them and you renewed the Indiana rivalry to open a new arena, it would be great and huge in both states.

The OSU game is huge--as I have said from the beginning. I don't think it would be a big disappointment (and not sure how it is contrarian to think so) IF it was XU that opened the arena. Do you? (also, WVU would have been pretty cool for an opener). As I said, not sure where the disagreement lies but thanks for making my point.

I take a strong stance against arrogance and condescension. If you feel that is aimed at you...

By the way, not sure if it has been mentioned but kudos for UC opening up the arena against a quality opponent. A lot of schools would just keep Alabama A&M on the schedule to do it.

Nothing says Grand Opening of a new arena like losing to your biggest rival and having to hear about how your rival "owns" the new arena for the next 30 years. Its not that complicated. Also WVU would be another HORRIBLE opener for UC. Good chance of a loss and you bring in a coach who is still adored by a huge percentage of UC fans. Awful idea.

Nothing says Grand Opening of a new arena like losing to your biggest rival and having to hear about how your rival "owns" the new arena for the next 30 years. Its not that complicated. Also WVU would be another HORRIBLE opener for UC. Good chance of a loss and you bring in a coach who is still adored by a huge percentage of UC fans. Awful idea.

OSU has another year to recruit with a new coach. Not that far fetched to think that they could come in with a much better team next year and beat UC (I'll give the WVU being a bad idea...many other factors going on there). If you're afraid of losing at home, then schedule Alabama A&M.

OSU has another year to recruit with a new coach. Not that far fetched to think that they could come in with a much better team next year and beat UC (I'll give the WVU being a bad idea...many other factors going on there). If you're afraid of losing at home, then schedule Alabama A&M.

Yeah OSU could beat UC nobody is denying that. But its also the best case scenario. Yeah UK would generate a lot more buzz than OSU, but UC would lose for sure. XU wouldn't be smart because you never want to lead off the season with your rival especially in a new arena. OSU gives them a headliner opponent with a geographical rivalry that hasn't been played in almost a century, and they have a realistic chance of winning. Best case scenario.