Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do confederate statues bother you?

Do Confederate statues bother you? 50 members have voted

  1. 1. Do Confederate statues bother you?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Are we good with taking down the statues/memorials of American Indians? I believe they ended up on the losing end.

  • Replies 140
  • Views 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are we good with taking down the statues/memorials of American Indians? I believe they ended up on the losing end.

 

It's not the winning or losing to me, it's losing after treason. I believe this is the only mass event of treson in out country's short history where action was taken against the Unted States.

And for reference purposes, one of the least proud facts of my mom's side of the family is that my grandfather's brother was a card-carrying Nazi. That's my heritage, and I can't run away from it. That doesn't mean I should embrace it, either.

 

I'm guessing there's at least a few of you folks in the German strongholds in NoKy and L'ville and other Ohio River towns who have a similar history in their families. How do you deal with it?

Having completed extensive genealogy research on on one side of my family (Spanish/Native American, a bit African) and less on my other (Irish, Scottish, other European), I can say that some of my Spanish ancestors were great people, establishing the oldest state capital city, Santa Fe, and promoting peace. On the other hand, some were murderers, some enslaved and/or killed Native Americans. One even killed an early governor of New Mexico (who was also an ancestor of mine, different line.) It is my history. I can't escape it, but I am glad that I know about it. It puts many things in perspective. I wish that those bad things weren't attached to my history, and I denounce those acts. But I can't change it and I am not personally responsible for them.

Are we good with taking down the statues/memorials of American Indians? I believe they ended up on the losing end.

 

It's not the winning or losing to me, it's losing after treason. I believe this is the only mass event of treson in out country's short history where action was taken against the Unted States.

 

Exactly. You have to once have belonged to a country to commit treason against it. The US actively prevented Native Americans from becoming citizens, so they were always fighting against a "foreign occupier." Had the US annexed the south after having fought a war of conquest that would be a different story, but since the south was once part of the US and then tried to create their own country when they didn't get their way and attacked federal forces they committed treason.

Do we remove all of this from history books too?

It's already being removed. Didn't you hear...slavery was a very minor part of the reasons behind the Civil War?

 

Seriously, though, people keep thumping their chests and saying "but the history!" Really? As a kid, I never visited a place with any statues, but learned history quite well. I don't need a statue to on the corner of UofL's campus to remind me.

In what way?

 

Purging the past.

Violence.

Crucifying those who oppose at any level or degree.

For those who preach "southern pride," is there nothing in the south to be proud of except what happened in the Civil War?

For those who preach "southern pride," is there nothing in the south to be proud of except what happened in the Civil War?

 

Im have Southern Pride and it has nothing to do whatsoever with Civil War.

 

Im proud to have the types of food, language, manners, scenery, and values that a lot of northerns and westerners dont have.

Do we remove all of this from history books too?

 

Absolutely not. I've been pretty clear on that.

And for reference purposes, one of the least proud facts of my mom's side of the family is that my grandfather's brother was a card-carrying Nazi. That's my heritage, and I can't run away from it. That doesn't mean I should embrace it, either.

 

I'm guessing there's at least a few of you folks in the German strongholds in NoKy and L'ville and other Ohio River towns who have a similar history in their families. How do you deal with it?

Nothing to deal with. You aren't your grandfathers brother.

Nothing to deal with. You aren't your grandfathers brother.

 

My point is many people use that same lineage argument to defend "the Lost Cause."

He's speaking of Lee.

 

Nope. I'm referring to the statue here in Louisville that up until recently no one seemed to know about. Its a man named John Castleman. He was a Confederate general who was pardoned after the war, served in the American army and played a big role in the development of the Olmsted parks in Louisville. He's not even in uniform in the statue. Since Charlottesville it has been vandalized and there has been a demonstration demanding its removal.

My point is many people use that same lineage argument to defend "the Lost Cause."

 

I'm sure they do. My point is that we can't wring our hands over things we can't control.

Didnt read every word of these 7 pages but its been a great read . I voted " no" but on further thought I think I might be open to a 3rd option of moving them to a historical location or a museum . But it wont stop the hate in peoples hearts , they will move onto the next hot topic being fed to the sheep by CNN and NBC , and others .

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.