Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do confederate statues bother you?

Do Confederate statues bother you? 50 members have voted

  1. 1. Do Confederate statues bother you?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I disagree with this. Had the south won, they would've been no less traitorous towards the United States. I don't see victory as being a validation of one's actions.

 

Their cause would have been validated via victory. However they, thankfully, lost and as such are not heroes of a new nation, rather they are traitors to the old.

 

They committed treason and were lucky that Lincoln had the foresight to reconcile them as opposed to occupy and execute those who took up arms against the US.

 

Their actions should be remembered in museums, on battlefields, and on historic sites. They should not be celebrated on public lands otherwise.

  • Replies 140
  • Views 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those who preach "southern pride," is there nothing in the south to be proud of except what happened in the Civil War?

 

SEC football

 

Their actions should be remembered in museums, on battlefields, and on historic sites. They should not be celebrated on public lands otherwise.

 

That's a pretty good point. the rest of my post is not directed at you @PepRock01 but just a general comment.

 

Most of you that say it doesn't matter either are probably white.

I can never begin to say I understand what African Americans have gone through. So my point of view is different than others. I have seen numerous statues as I have visited several places and Washington DC.

 

Do they bother me? No but I don't have the same perspective as African-Americans. I do learn a lot of history when I visit them.

 

If I were to say that I sure hate it when a tornado destroys mine or anyone else's house, does that make me a hater to not be happy about something that is highly destructive to one's home, and with it their peace of mind?

 

Being a racist, and not being happy with racism are not the same type of aversion, though one can certainly cause a reaction of distaste from the other.

 

One is fueled by hate, while the other wishes to see an end to that hate.

How has NBC & CNN advocated racism as being a good thing?

I would love to give a honest ,truthful answer but it ventures into political discourse and I really want to honor the guidelines set forth by Theguru

We went to Stone Mountain once, there were as many black visitors as white visitors they day we went.

 

 

I have been not 1 black person was there.

I haven't heard of it happening but maybe it does.

 

Did you miss the SC State Capital Flag controversy a few years ago?

Also people need to learn the difference between racist and prejudice.. just sayin'

 

What is the difference?

It's already being removed. Didn't you hear...slavery was a very minor part of the reasons behind the Civil War?

 

Seriously, though, people keep thumping their chests and saying "but the history!" Really? As a kid, I never visited a place with any statues, but learned history quite well. I don't need a statue to on the corner of UofL's campus to remind me.

 

So you're OK with it? You aren't very clear.

 

I really could care less about the statues, the timing is suspect, at best, by Jim Gray and the like.

I just bought a book called "George Thomas: Virginian for the Union", a biography of General George Thomas. He led the Army of the Cumberland and won battles in Kentucky and eventually succeeded in taking Nashville. I believe he ended up residing in Kentucky after the war, and I believe Fort Thomas bears his name.

 

I wasn't particularly familiar with him until today, and now find his absence in my Kentucky education to be conspicuous. He was a Virginian who chose to fight on the right side in the war, didn't mince words about the Confederacy, and played a part in trying to eradicate the nascent KKK after the war.

 

If you're lamenting the loss of history today, then there's no better time to pick up a book.

 

I can also recommend:

 

"The Battle Cry of Freedom" by James McPherson

 

"Freedom National: the Destruction of Slavery in the United States" by James Oakes

 

"The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass," by the man himself.

 

"The Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S Grant," also by the man himself.

 

And if you're into fiction you might enjoy:

 

"The Underground Railroad" by Colson Whitehead

 

"The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara

That's a pretty good point. the rest of my post is not directed at you @PepRock01 but just a general comment.

 

Most of you that say it doesn't matter either are probably white.

I can never begin to say I understand what African Americans have gone through. So my point of view is different than others. I have seen numerous statues as I have visited several places and Washington DC.

 

Do they bother me? No but I don't have the same perspective as African-Americans. I do learn a lot of history when I visit them.

 

I agree most whites don't understand. But The statue I saw that was dropped and kicked was by a bunch of white people. I don't recall seeing many African Americans on the scene. I do question the timing of all of this. I still think folks are trying to be disruptive due to their dislike of the president. Why weren't these statues taken down over the last 2 presidencies?

I agree most whites don't understand. But The statue I saw that was dropped and kicked was by a bunch of white people. I don't recall seeing many African Americans on the scene. I do question the timing of all of this. I still think folks are trying to be disruptive due to their dislike of the president. Why weren't these statues taken down over the last 2 presidencies?

 

Very good question. Similar to the one I was asking.

 

How about the last 4 or 5 presidencies?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.