Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do confederate statues bother you?

Do Confederate statues bother you? 50 members have voted

  1. 1. Do Confederate statues bother you?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

No, though fine with them being removed; I believe most people are oblivious to them. The only time in my life I have given it a second thought is when something like this has occurred. I think 99% of people are in the same boat.

 

In fairness, I am not African American so I can't say how statues or monuments honoring/glorifying the Confederacy make them feel.

 

In today's world though we often aren't outraged until we are told to be.

  • Replies 140
  • Views 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic makes my head want to explode.

Poll results aren't at all surprising.

 

The BGP poll matching polls commissioned by PBS and NPR. Even 44% of Democrats said to leave the monuments alone. 44% of black Americans said to leave them alone as well.

Public monuments, on public property; should be a local question. Each locality is free to decide what they want to do without interference from outsiders.

Why does it matter? One of the statues people here want removed is of a person that after the Civil War was pardoned and served in the American army.

 

I don't know what story you're talking about but it definitely matters. Someone who was a segregationist and racist coming around to ideas of American unity is not only perfectly acceptable but essentially praiseworthy.

 

It should be something we want in all our leaders. "I was wrong; let me tell you why." is the kind of statement we should expect and hope for in our public figures.

Public monuments, on public property; should be a local question. Each locality is free to decide what they want to do without interference from outsiders.

 

It might be nice. But I think we all know how this works now.

I don't know what story you're talking about but it definitely matters. Someone who was a segregationist and racist coming around to ideas of American unity is not only perfectly acceptable but essentially praiseworthy.

 

It should be something we want in all our leaders. "I was wrong; let me tell you why." is the kind of statement we should expect and hope for in our public figures.

 

He's speaking of Lee.

It might be nice. But I think we all know how this works now.

 

I seem to recall Charlottesville city council voted to remove them from their parks.

Depends. Did that person later renounce the Klan and become a public advocate for Civil Rights?

 

 

Those who fought for the South were pardoned and forgiven if they took loyalty oaths. Public law, 1958, made Confederate soldiers veterans and any living veterans were given a pension. There was one veteran who received a pension for one year. Children of there veterans were given a stipend of $73.13/month. Would these Congressional acts not count as forgiveness?

He's speaking of Lee.

 

I don't think Lee served in the US Army after the war. He became president of Washington College (now Washington and Lee College) soon after the war ended.

I seem to recall Charlottesville city council voted to remove them from their parks.

 

I meant the outside influence but yeah I saw that.

I don't think Lee served in the US Army after the war. He became president of Washington College (now Washington and Lee College) soon after the war ended.

 

I was thinking he was counting previous service and the pardon that was lost and not granted until Carter was President.

I seem to recall an ex Confederate General leading troops in the Spanish American War

Those who fought for the South were pardoned and forgiven if they took loyalty oaths. Public law, 1958, made Confederate soldiers veterans and any living veterans were given a pension. There was one veteran who received a pension for one year. Children of there veterans were given a stipend of $73.13/month. Would these Congressional acts not count as forgiveness?

 

Forgiveness? Sure. I hold no hatred for the individual soldiers that did nothing more than serve. This was too long ago for malice on an individual level.

 

That's not the same as my opinion that monuments which directly or indirectly honor the cause to which their leaders were dedicated should not still be broadcasting that message in public space.

The BGP poll matching polls commissioned by PBS and NPR. Even 44% of Democrats said to leave the monuments alone. 44% of black Americans said to leave them alone as well.

 

Interesting -- do you have a link, @bballfamily?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.