Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do confederate statues bother you?

Do Confederate statues bother you? 50 members have voted

  1. 1. Do Confederate statues bother you?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

NO POLITICS! I really want to see where this goes. I think it's an important conversation to have.

  • Replies 140
  • Views 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

Honestly I don't even notice them. I'm just curious what others think about them. I don't think they should have been erected in the first place, but I'm not protesting to have them taken down nor would I protest if nothing was done. I support Mayor Grays decision completely, in the end it doesn't really matter all that much too me either way. I don't think they bother me, but I cant say I support them being there either.

Yes. They enshrine a false historical narrative that was propped up by Confederate sympathizers after the war. Far from whitewashing history, the removal of these monuments and their replacement with more appropriate ones would correct the romantic reimagining of the Confederacy that should have been obliterated from our national narrative decades ago.

I think its very two faced of us as Americans to let what is currently happening happen.

  • Author
Yes. They enshrine a false historical narrative that was propped up by Confederate sympathizers after the war. Far from whitewashing history, the removal of these monuments and their replacement with more appropriate ones would correct the romantic reimagining of the Confederacy that should have been obliterated from our national narrative decades ago.

I agree completely with basically everything you said. But I wouldn't say it's something that makes me really upset when I see them. They are just kind of there and I dont notice them very often.

  • Author
I think its very two faced of us as Americans to let what is currently happening happen.

What exactly do you mean?

What exactly do you mean?

 

Well we are removing the statues of traitors, when we only exist as a country because we were traitors.

Well we are removing the statues of traitors, when we only exist as a country because we were traitors.

 

Except one was validated by victory and the other was not.

Here's my take and I hardly ever get on this site for anything but sports or music. I may get in trouble, I may offend, I don't know.

Never have seen a thread on here about statues bothering anyone, now all of a sudden it's the media's hot topic, one they won't drop. I've read many a book on the civil war, it has always been a favorite subject of mine. I've always read as a North supporter although my favorite General is Longstreet.

Many of these statues were erected as a matter of southern pride. Lee would have gone Union but he could not attack his beloved Virginia. Many people are offended by his and others being celebrated. However, many aren't. Problem is, in America today it seems unless you agree with one side, you don't matter or your considered racist, fascist, etc... your typecast. There's no discussion going on, you either think one way or get out of the way.

I'm not condoning the white supremists, they're clowns in my eyes. They do though, have the right to protest just like BLM and any others AS LONG AS IT'S PEACEFUL.

I feel like I'm rambling but I guess my point is, there are idiots on both sides. That's not changing... ever. But I can say as a middle aged white male, I'm really tired of the one way discussion. Making me feel things I didn't feel growing up. Kevin Durant said today he's not going to see "the president" but those aren't the words he used. If an athlete came out and said he'd be honored to go see our president, he'd be crucified by the media and on social media.

I have no problem with these statues but I don't offend easily, or haven't most of my life. I just know that in many eyes, I'm an idiot, insensitive and many other labels I won't get into. Sorry for the long winded response. I just worry where this country is going, we can't make everyone the same and we can't fix every problem or make everyone happy. Some look to be offended by everything!!! Some look to be offended for others.

I wouldn't say it deeply bothers me, but I don't really understand why we have them to begin with.

The argument for keeping them that some of my friends trot out is "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it".

 

I'm not sure it applies. Monuments such as these glorify and edify not only those portrayed, but also their causes. There is room to do this in museums and history books.

Poll results aren't at all surprising.

For those that are bothered by them would you be bothered by federally funded buildings named after a former Exalted Cyclops of the KKK?

For those that are bothered by them would you be bothered by federally funded buildings named after a former Exalted Cyclops of the KKK?

 

Depends. Did that person later renounce the Klan and become a public advocate for Civil Rights?

The vast majority of these statues were erected during two eras. The 1920s during the rise of Jim Crow laws and the KKK. And during the 1950s/1960s during the Civil Rights movement. They should have never been put up in the first place but the time frames that they were put up explains why. Any and all confederate statues in public places should be removed just like the confederate flag.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.