Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do confederate statues bother you?

Do Confederate statues bother you? 50 members have voted

  1. 1. Do Confederate statues bother you?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Is this where we are headed? If so, I cannot support this.

 

Watch: CNN commentator calls for the removal of Washington and Jefferson statues – TheBlaze

 

I was wondering if this would come up. People want to be offended. MLK was a womanizer, sure that offends some. Should we take down all the streets named after him? Reagan was not fond of gay and lesbians. Rename the airports and interstates. Where will it end?

Some may say I'm overreacting but overreaction is the thing to do in this country right now.

  • Replies 140
  • Views 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely get why many feel they should come down, and I don't have a problem with that. They do not bother me personally however. In fact, up until about a year or so ago, I was completely clueless they existed. Never noticed them before.

Except one was validated by victory and the other was not.

 

 

You are correct both were traitors. The difference is America won Independence, CSA did not. Statues in Great Britain of American soldiers of the Revolutionary War would be the equivalent of CSA statues in America.

 

Now my take is that it is strictly a local decision if they want to put them up and keep them up, again that is a local decision by politicians/taxpayers. If they decide to take them down, the same. I honor their decision, I may not respect it, but I honor it.

Edited by Bengal Maniac

Depends. Did that person later renounce the Klan and become a public advocate for Civil Rights?

 

Why does it matter? One of the statues people here want removed is of a person that after the Civil War was pardoned and served in the American army.

I voted no because they do not bother me and I've never really given them any thought.

 

I saw something that @PurplePride92 liked or retweeted on Twitter a day or two ago and it made me start thinking more about the topic. Why the hell do we have these statues all over the south? Why are we honoring the losers? I don't go as far to believe that they were traitors necessarily, it was different times back then. But who loses wars and then get remembered with statues?

 

I'm about to go through and read all the posts, so if this question has been addressed already, I apologize, but why is all this coming up now? Not saying it shouldn't be a topic, but what brought it on so much and gave it so much traction recently?

And for reference purposes, one of the least proud facts of my mom's side of the family is that my grandfather's brother was a card-carrying Nazi. That's my heritage, and I can't run away from it. That doesn't mean I should embrace it, either.

 

I'm guessing there's at least a few of you folks in the German strongholds in NoKy and L'ville and other Ohio River towns who have a similar history in their families. How do you deal with it?

 

I don't have any German descent, at least that we know of. My family on my dad's side has been here since the 1600's, apparently after the Huguenot Wars. However, I do think I'd struggle with knowing my family were Nazis. Nothing you could do about it, but I think that would bother me a great deal.

I completely get why many feel they should come down, and I don't have a problem with that. They do not bother me personally however. In fact, up until about a year or so ago, I was completely clueless they existed. Never noticed them before.

 

I'm sure I've driven and/or walked past some but I honestly couldn't tell you where one is in KY.

The more I've thought about it, I'm definitely okay with them coming down. Doesn't mean they bother me, I quite frankly don't care or think about them. But if people believe strongly that they should be brought down, then bring them down. However, it needs to be done through the proper channels.

 

I'm not okay with a group of people just deciding to pull them down on there own. In my mind, that is destruction of property.

I have a hard time believing that. You've never been in downtown Lex, where there's a Confederate statue sitting atop an old slave market?

 

No, if I have been by it I sure never noticed it. I dont get to downtown Lex. Disney Store at mall is about it.

I still think its stupid that they took re-runs of the Dukes of Hazard off TV.

I wouldn't either. While many of the founding fathers were slave owners, they did not commit treason against their own country. The moral equivalency that some are trying to portray doesn't hold water.

 

So which is it about slavery or treason?

I voted no because they do not bother me and I've never really given them any thought.

 

I saw something that @PurplePride92 liked or retweeted on Twitter a day or two ago and it made me start thinking more about the topic. Why the hell do we have these statues all over the south? Why are we honoring the losers? I don't go as far to believe that they were traitors necessarily, it was different times back then. But who loses wars and then get remembered with statues?

 

I'm about to go through and read all the posts, so if this question has been addressed already, I apologize, but why is all this coming up now? Not saying it shouldn't be a topic, but what brought it on so much and gave it so much traction recently?

 

Is the Vetnaim wall next, we didnt win that war either.

Is the Vetnaim wall next, we didnt win that war either.

 

To the best of my knowledge none of the American soldiers who died in Vietnam engaged in seditious activities.

I honestly don't have a problem with moving statues to another area whether it's a museum or another piece of land but I do have a problem with people taking it upon themselves to tear down these monuments on their own and destroying them. I won't support destruction of property, trespassing or any physical assault of either side's supporters.

Is the Vetnaim wall next, we didnt win that war either.

 

I guess you have a point. But I'd leave that one because they were serving the country as a whole.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.