A great graduation speech

kypride

Cubs GM Theo Epstein’s message to Yale’s graduating class focused on a moment from Game 7 of the World Series.

When the game went into a rain delay late, the Cubs players didn’t go off on their own. They stayed together and motivated each other, and they went on to win.

“One day I will tell (my sons) Jack and Drew that some players, and some of us, go through their careers with their heads down, focused on our craft and our tasks, keeping to ourselves, worrying about our numbers or our grades, pursuing the next objective goal, building our resumes, projecting our individual interests,” he said.

“Other players, or others amongst us, go through our careers with our heads up, as a real part of a team, alert and aware of others, embracing difference, employing empathy, genuinely connecting, putting collective interests ahead of our own. It is a choice. The former approach, keeping our head down, seems safer and more efficient. And I guess sometimes, it is. The latter, connecting, keeping our heads up, allows us to lead. And every now and then, to be part of something much greater than ourselves. and therefore to truly triumph.”