Mat Latos was sent down, a reminder of how fleeting MLB success can be...

IMO one of the more spectacular downfalls in recent years in MLB. After that second season with the Reds at only age 25, he looked like he was on his way to a heck of a career. Then the bottom dropped out.

He was well on his way to $100M+ contract.

If he manages to get one more year in he's looking at a pension of over $200,000.

And if he got a 5% return on his 2 year deal with the reds it would be $575,000 per year. Before taxes, attorneys, agents, lawyers, finance guys, tattoos, wife, etc.

What does he get if he doesn’t get that year?

They did not give that out. I was surprised that a person with 43 days in the majors gets $34,000 a year for life and one day in the majors gets them Lifetime Health Insurance. unbelievable.

They did not give that out. I was surprised that a person with 43 days in the majors gets $34,000 a year for life and one day in the majors gets them Lifetime Health Insurance. unbelievable.

When does that $34,000/year start? Officially retired?

Added note: I researched it and found that benefits start as early as age 45 if you are not employed by a major league team. Normal retirement age for pension benefits is 62. If you choose to take benefits before 62, you will get a reduced benefit based on a formula in the plan.

For anyone interested, here are the details on the pension plan: http://www.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/bhb/eng/mlb-0f0-pension-print.pdf

Edited by Voice of Reason

When does that $34,000/year start? Officially retired?

Added note: I researched it and found that benefits start as early as age 45 if you are not employed by a major league team. Normal retirement age for pension benefits is 62. If you choose to take benefits before 62, you will get a reduced benefit based on a formula in the plan.

For anyone interested, here are the details on the pension plan: http://www.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/bhb/eng/mlb-0f0-pension-print.pdf

It sounded like the $34000 was at normal retirement age.

And looking at Anthony Desclafani, Brandon Finnegan, Homer Bailey, and Michael Lorenzen it seems he was correct when he claimed that the medical staff does not do a good job keeping their pitchers healthy over the course of time.

And looking at Anthony Desclafani, Brandon Finnegan, Homer Bailey, and Michael Lorenzen it seems he was correct when he claimed that the medical staff does not do a good job keeping their pitchers healthy over the course of time.

This has been an issue for 2 plus decades.