Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NCAA First-Round Exit or NIT Champion?

Featured Replies

Kinda depends on the program, I guess. Using this year as an example, which is preferable for the following?

 

A. Syracuse. Would it have been better if they made the cut and lost in the first round, or win out in the NIT?

 

2. Belmont. Same question.

 

D. Vanderbilt. Same question.

 

I think most will say get to the dance, even if bounced out in the first round, but arguments can be made for the other side. What do you say?

We always called the NIT the Nobody's Interested Tournament.

 

When UK lost to Robert Morris in 2013, I couldn't have cared less. Same was true when they beat UNLV & whoever else when Billy Clyde was here.

 

So it's Big Dance or nothing for me.

I think most teams would rather get to the dance and have a shot to make a run for the national title. At this point you can go ahead and add Vtech and WF to that list. I'm sure they would rather be playing than not, but most likely would still have wanted to have a shot in the big dance rather than the NIT.

The only situation where I can think NIT might be better is if you are an established program that annually gets to the NCAA and you have young players who are all coming back, then the extra practice and games in the NIT might be better than a 1 and out NCAA appearance.

I'd bet not one team that lost today, wishes they were in the NIT instead.

Good question but this isn't even a debate...the goal is to make the NCAA tournament. Period.

Only time I consider NIT is if it's an early season tournament. Other than that, you're playing for the 69th place championship.

No question for me. I've seen Dayton win an NIT title and lose in the first round and I can tell you that I was way more excited for those first round NCAA games that I really felt like we were going to lose than I was for that NIT title game.

 

When it comes to the weekend, you want to be in the dance with a shot at something great, not be at home playing pass-around with the other nerds.

Nit is the egg or young form of a louse or other parasitic insect.

 

Give me the Big Dance!

The NIT is like watching two 6-6 football teams play a bowl game. Not even the parents of the kids are there!

Now once you get in the NIT, CBI or CIT...your goal is to win the tournament, BUT your season goal is the Big Dance.

The NIT is like watching two 6-6 football teams play a bowl game. Not even the parents of the kids are there!

 

It might not be a big a deal for the power 5 conference teams, but if NKU were in the tourney, I would be interested. Heck I like following Oakland in it.

Agree NCAA for sure.

 

But I do really enjoy watching the NIT each year; and like the aspect of playing on your home court.

It might not be a big a deal for the power 5 conference teams, but if NKU were in the tourney, I would be interested. Heck I like following Oakland in it.

 

I agree. For a one bid conference a mid major wants the NCAA, but the others are still good for them. For big name teams, I can see where they have little interest.

The NIT is like watching two 6-6 football teams play a bowl game. Not even the parents of the kids are there!

Perfect analogy. :up:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.