Bad clock management: The 2-for-1

Jim Schue

Why Oh Why do teams in college almost never use this? Louisville could have conceivably gone into the half down 4 or maybe even 2 with good clock management. Instead they shoot a 3 they could have taken 15 seconds earlier, then foul on the other end so they still go in down 7.

I just don't understand why something so basic — getting an extra possession — is not used more sensibly by college coaches. Just dumb. :ohbrother:

I think the concern coaches have is that shooting is so much worse in the college game, and points so much tougher to come by, that it's more important to get a good shot -- no matter how long it takes -- than it is to get an extra possession.

I know, but in that hasty analogy, said coaches discount the fact that if you go into the 2-for-1 situation knowing you're going to do it, your rebounders should be ready for stickbacks.

Success there leads the opponent into rushing a shot, likely a bad one, and you still get plenty of time on the back end of the 2-fer to get a good shot to finish the half.

I know, but in that hasty analogy, said coaches discount the fact that if you go into the 2-for-1 situation knowing you're going to do it, your rebounders should be ready for stickbacks.

Success there leads the opponent into rushing a shot, likely a bad one, and you still get plenty of time on the back end of the 2-fer to get a good shot to finish the half.

I'm with you Schue...drives me crazy when teams do not go 2 fer 1.