Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Belfry vs. Pikeville

Featured Replies

We still have a "Jumbo" package for those 3rd and 3's don't we? :D

  • Replies 185
  • Views 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually in 93 it was 26-6 Belfry, and in 94 it was 42-27 Pikeville. These were my JR. and SR. years repectively.

 

I took a stab at the scores, maybe I wasn't as close as I thought, but I remembered who won each game.

 

I guess that counts for something.

 

The Harmon kid is a stud. He IS the only "gamebreaker" on either team, imo. But I don't think he can carry Pikeville past this Belfry team. Belfry sells out to stop the run in their 52, and they have enough athletic kids up front to hold him in check.

 

But the best defense Belfry will have is an offense that will win the battle of possession, move the chains consistently, and keep Pikeville's offense off of the field. All of this will happen if the Pirates protect the ball, and I think they will.

FIrst my take on the game and I am a peaceful person so nobody jump on my post real bad lol. First the gap has narrowed between the battle on the line but I still believe Belfry has the advantage. These guys are so quick its unreal and they are strong. And I have seen both teams play. And I dont think mentioning the last 5 is classless but it is important because the same weakness has been revealed in all 5 of the games. And Coach J has made good strides to improve that this year.

As far as Harmon great back but Belfry done a pretty good job on Thomas from Ashland and he was a beast. Look for Belfry to do a good job not shut him down but slow him down. Pikevilles depth has improved but not as much as they need it to. Belfry is a deep team as always and the game will be close at halftime and Belfry will pull away late in the game with the W. Im not a coach or a player so I can say that. The team is very focused on the game so noone has to worry about that. If any team comes into this game overconfident then that isnt good and both coaches know better than to let that happen.

IMO the key to the game will be Pikeville stopping Belfry. I believe if they are going to beat Belfry they have to make this a low scoring game because Belfry has a pretty stout D. That is easier said than done though. We have some good backs all the talk about Harmon and alot of ppl forget about Dustin May. Not to mention he has 2 excellent backs behind him and a good qb who passes well and runs excellent fakes. As all Pikeville fans do know its not easy (but possible) to slow Belfrys offesne down.

I look for a good classy game from two classy schools and would be disapointed with anything less. I for one hopes Belfry wins this game and we both get to cheer for each other later on in Louisville.

I agree that the Harmon kid is impressive. I am not sure he is better than Kasey Clark (assuming we get there), or Matt Thomas.

 

Belfry is definately not big on the D-line, but every since Mickey (or Haywood, not sure who) decided to move toward a smaller but more athletic defensive front, Belfry has been improved on defense. I think its led to more penetration and more negative plays, whereas the larger Belfry front 5 fronm the late 90's was more of a stop you on 3rd and 3 team.

 

Actually, I think Belfry's D-Line has played better since moving the Totten kid to NG. His size and quickness has shored up the interior and freed up the LB's a little more.

  • Author

1 more day til the battle of Pike County!

 

Go Bucs!

:dancingpa

I'm looking forward to this game!!.. :thumb:

I know that the mighty pirates will pull out on top.:dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa

Belfry 42

P'ville 14

Belfry 42

P'ville 14

If Henry Clay with all theyre D1 talent cant hang 42 on Pikeville what makes you think Belfry can?

If Henry Clay with all theyre D1 talent cant hang 42 on Pikeville what makes you think Belfry can?

 

 

I don't think Belfry will hang 42 on Pikeville, but I will say that I think after 5 games have been played Belfry's offense will be better than a Henry Clay team at Week 1.

I don't think Belfry will hang 42 on Pikeville, but I will say that I think after 5 games have been played Belfry's offense will be better than a Henry Clay team at Week 1.

 

No way. Not even close.

 

Belfry has not beaten a good team yet this season. Very premature to say their offense is as good as anyone's at this point, and surely nowhere close to Henry Clay's. The teams Belfry has beaten have a combined record of 5-14, and the five wins have come against Newport, Betsy Layne, Allen Central, South Floyd, and Pike Central - 5 teams that are struggling, to say the least.

I think that is a very valid point billyrayjoebob. No need to go chest thumping about those 4 victories.

 

And it won't help their case any if they beat Pikeville, whose 3 wins have come against teams with a 4-9 record. And those 4 wins were against Betsy Layne, Magoffin County, Jackson County and Paintsville.;)

  • Author

Name me one good win that Pikeville has this season. Thats a big zero! Belfry beat NCC, a task Pikeville couldnt take care of last season, and Belfry atleast did put up two td's against Henry Clay last year, Pikeville was, uh, shutout! Pikeville couldnt stop NCC last year but Belfry took care of business this year and stopped Vicars. Belfry also took a very good Ashland team to the wire, and it was Belfry's game to lose and I respect Haywood's decision to go for the win, Belfry knew when they left Putnam that they could play with the Tomcats anyday, not a feat I am so sure Pikeville could have pulled off. I wouldnt harp on Belfry not having a win over a good team this season when the team I root for only has wins over pburg, allen central, and south floyd.

No way. Not even close.

 

Belfry has not beaten a good team yet this season. Very premature to say their offense is as good as anyone's at this point, and surely nowhere close to Henry Clay's. The teams Belfry has beaten have a combined record of 5-14, and the five wins have come against Newport, Betsy Layne, Allen Central, South Floyd, and Pike Central - 5 teams that are struggling, to say the least.

 

 

Did I ask you a question??:creepy:

I think that is a very valid point billyrayjoebob. No need to go chest thumping about those 4 victories.

 

And it won't help their case any if they beat Pikeville, whose 3 wins have come against teams with a 4-9 record. And those 4 wins were against Betsy Layne, Magoffin County, Jackson County and Paintsville.;)

 

Exactly.

Did I ask you a question??:creepy:

 

Yes.:D :sssh:

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.