Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How Hot is Tom Crean's Seat?

Featured Replies

If I'm the AD, regardless of the injuries, I'd fire Crean at the end of the season. This team was underachieving and underperforming far before any significant injuries occurred this season (outside of Hartman who was injured in the preseason). He is now in his 9th season as Indiana's head coach and his overall winning percentage is .561. I realize he had a few rough years at the onset but still, at a program like Indiana, it should be much better than that. In addition, he hasn't made it past the sweet 16 in any of his 8 seasons. Big ten titles are nice, but I think we would all agree that tournament success takes precedence over regular season success.

 

Crean's issues go far beyond the court too. He can't even recruit his own state, which is one of the most fertile basketball recruiting states in the country. Indiana will never be more than a mediocre program with him leading it. I realize Indiana hasn't been a perennial contender in a while, but they still have 5 national championships and could be a perennial contender given the right coach.

 

As for Crean's potential replacement, a few names come to mind. My order would look something like this: Brad Stevens, Steve Alford, Billy Donovan, Archie Miller. I realize some of these are long shots, but you still have to pursue them IMO. IU is still a great CBB job that throws a lot of cash and revenue into the basketball program. It would not be hard to make them a consistently great program again, given the right leader.

  • Replies 169
  • Views 24.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I guess I get what you're saying, but there is no chance those guys (outside of Archie) would even take the phone call. Alford isn't leaving UCLA for IU, not with the way he's rebuilding that program. Stevens has probably the best job in all of basketball, and Donovan is in year two with the Thunder. He isn't leaving that unless he's fired (which ain't gonna happen).

^I guess I get what you're saying, but there is no chance those guys (outside of Archie) would even take the phone call. Alford isn't leaving UCLA for IU, not with the way he's rebuilding that program. Stevens has probably the best job in all of basketball, and Donovan is in year two with the Thunder. He isn't leaving that unless he's fired (which ain't gonna happen).

 

I didn't say that I think they will leave for the job. However, if you are the AD, you still have to make those calls. If you don't, are you even doing your job? Im not saying those guys would leave, but I guarantee you they would at least take the call and listen to what IU's AD says (whether its Fred Glass or somebody else). Nobody thought Michigan could get Harbaugh at first either, but did that stop them from pursuing him? Indiana can't afford to mess up another coaching hire. Set your sights high and adjust from there.

It's cold.

 

And they're definitely making the tournament. As to what's wrong with the team? I have no freaking clue.

I agree he will be back, and his seat is cold, but they are in major trouble to make the Tourney at this point. Their most likely final RPI is about 60...that won't get it done. They absolutely HAVE to get these next two home games with Purdue and Michigan or they are going to be sunk.
I agree he will be back, and his seat is cold, but they are in major trouble to make the Tourney at this point. Their most likely final RPI is about 60...that won't get it done. They absolutely HAVE to get these next two home games with Purdue and Michigan or they are going to be sunk.
Have to beat Purdue, at home, for multiple reasons.

┳┻|

┻┳|

┳┻|

┻┳|

┳┻|

┻┳|

┳┻|

┻┳|

┳┻|

┻┳|

┳┻|

┻┳|

┳┻| _

┻┳| •.•)

┳┻|⊂ノ

┻┳|

I'm still curious what his buyout is at the end of this season. That's the tell tell sign as whether his seat is hot or cold. For IU to fire him, they need to still have enough cash left over to hire a solid coach. To be honest, I'm not even sure who that would be since Brad Stevens has moved on to the NBA. IU missed their chance with him, IMO. Crean's seat was warm back around the time Stevens left Butler, but he had a big win over Kentucky that season which was like sticking his seat inside an igloo for the IU natives.

IU is in jeopardy of making the tourney, and Crean is in jeopardy of losing his job.

All signs point to him being gone at this point. IU may as well cut their losses and hire Mike Davis back.

It's cold.

 

And they're definitely making the tournament. As to what's wrong with the team? I have no freaking clue.

 

You were talking about the N.I.T., right?

I'm still curious what his buyout is at the end of this season. That's the tell tell sign as whether his seat is hot or cold. For IU to fire him, they need to still have enough cash left over to hire a solid coach. To be honest, I'm not even sure who that would be since Brad Stevens has moved on to the NBA. IU missed their chance with him, IMO. Crean's seat was warm back around the time Stevens left Butler, but he had a big win over Kentucky that season which was like sticking his seat inside an igloo for the IU natives.

 

As far as the buyout goes....If IU would fire Crean before 7/1/17, they'd owe him $4M. If they would do so after 7/1/17, the buyout would drop to $1M.

 

They have 5 regular season games left and are 15-11 and 5-8 in B1G play.

 

@ Minnesota, @ Iowa, vs Northwestern, @ Purdue, & @ Ohio State.

 

I think they absolutely have to go 3-2 in those five to have a shot at the tournament. Realistically, I think they go 2-3 at best, and miss out.

I think if the AD falls in love with a possible replacement he could be gone, but I don't see him getting fired unless that is the case.

 

I don't think he gets fired and then they just start a search looking for a replacement. They either have a slam dunk target they think they can get or he'll be there at least another year.

I think if the AD falls in love with a possible replacement he could be gone, but I don't see him getting fired unless that is the case.

 

I don't think he gets fired and then they just start a search looking for a replacement. They either have a slam dunk target they think they can get or he'll be there at least another year.

 

Gregg Marshall...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.