Eating Out 2017

Big Slick

Never knew you could enjoy Cracker Barrel not once but twice within 24 hours...:lol2:

Kept it simple yesterday with one egg sunny side up, one sausage patty, and 2 biscuits. I went hog wild today with their chicken fried steak and 2 eggs sunny side up w/ hashbrown casserole.

That was one heckuva chicken fried steak!!! :thumb:

Mrs. C1 loves CB and she typically gets what she wants... ; )

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had lunch yesterday at Double Dogs in St. Matthews. Dogs and onion rings.

Stopped in Lexington on the way back. Wasn't real hungry; stopped at Denny's on Newtown Pike. Took us several minutes to get seated. Took several more for someone to take our order. Said it would be 30-40 minutes before we could expect our food when they got "slammed" like that. Place was just under half full. I told them we would go where we could eat in a reasonable amount of time. Drove over to - even though it's not my favorite place - Golden Corral on New Circle Road.

Had a decent Reuben at the Farmstead Market and Café in Union on Friday night. Only bad thing was we got there a few minutes after 7, but didn't get our food until 8.

Saturday went to Cincinnati and stopped by Tickle Pickle in Northside (thanks to a recommendation by @Clyde). Had a very good burger and shake there. Definitely will be back.

Today, had lunch at Incline Public House in Cincinnati. Was okay, but wish we had gone to Eli's instead.

Tried the lunch buffet Saturday afternoon at the new Indian restaurant "Grill of India" on E. 30th on the way into Latonia located in what was years ago a Frisch's, then for years "Breakfast at Ashley's", and most recently the 2nd location of "Germantown Pizza" that closed maybe a year or two ago.

This is a sister location to the "Grill of India" located on Ludlow Ave near the University of Cincinnati.

Clean attractive place, and the food was exactly what we've come to expect from the numerous Indian joints that have popped up in the Cincinnati area over the last 20 years.

Got there little after 1:00, and while only a few patrons inside, within in 10 minutes a steady flow of diners began to flock through the doors.

I was fine with the Indian music being played yet it was probably a bit on the loud side, and the experience would've been more enjoyable if they could've just turned it down a little. Sure it sets an authentic atmosphere, but no need to blare it.

Lunch buffet w/ water totaled at $9.60

When I first noticed that this place was in the works to open though thrilled, I initially wondered if it would stir any interest in this part of Covington/Latonia. So far it appears that it has as I'm always seeing cars in their parking lot.

Never thought I'd see the day I'd have Indian food 5 minutes from my place, so I'm a happy camper. There's actually also Amol Indian now in Newport on York that's been there nearly 2 years, and is also a sister location to the Amol on Ludlow in Clifton. I occasionally need my Indian fix, so the more the merrier.

Forgot to post last week. The lady and I went to Bob Evans in Cold Spring last Sunday and sat at the bar. Had just heard that the one in Newport boarded up the doors for good recently. As we sat at the counter, the food was very good, but noticed the place was not very clean. Sitting there gave us the opportunity to look into the prep area and the kitchen area. It needs an overhaul.

Tried the lunch buffet Saturday afternoon at the new Indian restaurant "Grill of India" on E. 30th on the way into Latonia located in what was years ago a Frisch's, then for years "Breakfast at Ashley's", and most recently the 2nd location of "Germantown Pizza" that closed maybe a year or two ago.

This is a sister location to the "Grill of India" located on Ludlow Ave near the University of Cincinnati.

Clean attractive place, and the food was exactly what we've come to expect from the numerous Indian joints that have popped up in the Cincinnati area over the last 20 years.

Got there little after 1:00, and while only a few patrons inside, within in 10 minutes a steady flow of diners began to flock through the doors.

I was fine with the Indian music being played yet it was probably a bit on the loud side, and the experience would've been more enjoyable if they could've just turned it down a little. Sure it sets an authentic atmosphere, but no need to blare it.

Lunch buffet w/ water totaled at $9.60

When I first noticed that this place was in the works to open though thrilled, I initially wondered if it would stir any interest in this part of Covington/Latonia. So far it appears that it has as I'm always seeing cars in their parking lot.

Never thought I'd see the day I'd have Indian food 5 minutes from my place, so I'm a happy camper. There's actually also Amol Indian now in Newport on York that's been there nearly 2 years, and is also a sister location to the Amol on Ludlow in Clifton. I occasionally need my Indian fix, so the more the merrier.

LOVE Indian food. Our fix is Indian Bistro on Beechmont.

What would Indian food be like as compared to Asian food?

Lots of curry, as well as masala and coriander. Some can be significantly hotter than typical Asian cuisine.

For the meek, I'd suggest starting with tandoori chicken. Move up to the curries and masalas. Naan bread and rice are staples.

What would Indian food be like as compared to Asian food?

This video might be helpful...

Truthfully I haven't had all of these, but generally I gravitate to saucy dishes such as Chicken Matar, Chicken Tikka Marsala, Chicken Curry, and I also enjoy the Tandori Chicken dish that comes to the table sizzling served with orange slices and lentil soup.

I tried Chicken Vindaloo once and suffered immensely and will never to that to myself again as it is seriously way too hot.

Most Indian Restaurants will give you a 1-6 heat level when ordering so if heat worries you start mild and inch your way up to a level you can deal with.

A lunch buffet is a real good place to start to sample many different offering while typically a better deal pricewise than ordering one dish from the menu.

Samosas must be tried as well just like you would have egg rolls at a Chinese joint. They typically come with 3 different sauces, one brownish one that is a bit sweet, a green one that might be like a minty cilantro, and a super hot red one with chunks of onion in it.

My honest take is that Indian and Chinese are completely different, and while I like both I lean toward Indian because the sauces are just so addictive, and I simply love to have that taste and smell follow me out the door and on my way for the next few hours.