Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Problem of......Whiteness?

Featured Replies

I don't know if that's totally true.

 

I recall the one Sociology class I took the professor gave me a new perspective on the Russian hold on Eastern Europe. He pointed out that both France and the Nazis used control of Eastern Europe to invade them. Holding on to them as puppet states acted as a buffer to prevent a similar invasion from happening again.

 

My US History teacher in high school was ahead of the game.

  • Replies 88
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually it was a Sociology Class that examined sociological factors for actions by people groups.

 

Still doesn't sound like a hard topic to grasp.

I would be all for a class that constructively discusses the differences and similarities between various races and cultures without assigning blame or causing further division between people. Would not be easy, but would be a great thing if done well. The very name of this class suggests division.

Course is clearly way over the heads of its BGP critics.

 

For so few words I sure got a lot of laughs , several minutes worth . One of the best one liners ever uttered here .

Course is clearly way over the heads of its BGP critics.
Have you taken the class?
I beg your pardon!!! You saying I'm one of the liberal bastards whose destroying America? :)

 

If the shoe fits....but I think we've all been down this road with you prior, so it's really not much of a leap.

 

Serious question, to the subject matter expert:

 

How many of your alleged colleagues have had significant work experience outside of the university setting, not research or sabbatical driven, to back up any of the ideology they are espousing ?

 

This ^^^^ is the issue at hand with university education....

^ Should that be a requirement to be a college professor? If so, in any field, or specific areas?

^ Should that be a requirement to be a college professor? If so, in any field, or specific areas?

 

I believe it should, otherwise we can get all the information we need from the Al Gore Machine....

 

When instructors have no other experience, in the entire world, other than being a student, how could we possibly expect them to be able to articulate a well rounded position that allows for free thinking ? We can't...

 

Anyone can read information, stand and deliver content....but how credible and balanced can that be ?

 

If your talking about liberal arts, then there probably isn't a "field" they fall into...

 

What we sometimes fail to remember is that universities are not microcosm's of society, they are petri dishes with the master lab technician having the ability to manipulate the outcome to their desired end.

 

This is not education, nor does it support free thinking..in fact, lack of world experience promotes exactly the opposite...

 

As I have said numerous times the past few months: Those that profess tolerance and open mindedness are frequently the most closed to alternative views...

 

(..present company excluded obviously...:thumb:)

I promise you there isn't a Sociology or race and gender class in college that most people could not handle. The least stimulating classes intellectually in college. Ideology driven classes do nothing for critical thinking skills.

 

You sound like a friend of mine who is a tenured professor of Astro Physics at UofL when he is asked to review research outside of his department and is selected to review sociology research. Per his review, their standards for acceptable research make him shake his head compared to what they are expected in the science fields. I was happy to hear when he was selected to review some research accounting professors did, he was very impressed with how thorough data is gathered and processed to reach theories and conclusions. He hopes his next is something else in the School of Business such as economics research. Though he would also be thrilled to be assigned something from his second love after Astro Physics, Math, lol. All scientists are the same.

Not to stray to far from the original topic, but since it has come up; the best business professor I had was someone who had been a successful businessman prior to getting into teaching. I think he saw teaching as a form of retirement. I got way more out of his classes than I did those that were lead by professors with only an academic background.

So, how many years should a person (like my son) who aspires to be a college (in his case, English) professor work outside academia to be considered ready and able to be a college professor?

So, how many years should a person (like my son) who aspires to be a college (in his case, English) professor work outside academia to be considered ready and able to be a college professor?
So, to flip the script, how long does a guy have to study with no hands on experience before you'll allow him to operate on your heart? Double standard?

 

And of course I'm being obtuse, but there are arenas where experiences are necessary and simply can't be fully understood without it. Others, like your example, not so much (assuming English is his first language, lol)

 

As for the notion that the topic is too far over the heads of those who might disagree is maybe the most ignorant thing ever posted on this site (and think of that freakin list).

Edited by spindoc

So, how many years should a person (like my son) who aspires to be a college (in his case, English) professor work outside academia to be considered ready and able to be a college professor?

 

There is no timeline. But if you spend most your adult life in the bubble that is academia bubble called college I think it leaves a lot to be desired in being well rounded.

 

I would say this is biggest reason for the disconnect between Liberal elites on the coast and the middle class. When you are never challenged on your ideology you live in a bubble that everyone agrees with you. Then when you hear philosophy or ideas that differ from yours you are outraged.

 

College use to be the place to debate different ideas , thoughts and philosophy. It has become on a lot of campuses the exact opposite. Different viewpoints are silenced and ideas go unchallenged.

There is no timeline. But if you spend most your adult life in the bubble that is academia bubble called college I think it leaves a lot to be desired in being well rounded.

 

I would say this is biggest reason for the disconnect between Liberal elites on the coast and the middle class. When you are never challenged on your ideology you live in a bubble that everyone agrees with you. Then when you hear philosophy or ideas that differ from yours you are outraged.

 

College use to be the place to debate different ideas , thoughts and philosophy. It has become on a lot of campuses the exact opposite. Different viewpoints are silenced and ideas go unchallenged.

 

No worries, just wondering what the folks that think this way believe to be acceptable.

 

While I can see what life experience can bring to certain areas, I don't think that English is one of them. As far as I'm concerned, he can become well-rounded when he leaves academia.

No worries, just wondering what the folks that think this way believe to be acceptable.

 

While I can see what life experience can bring to certain areas, I don't think that English is one of them. As far as I'm concerned, he can become well-rounded when he leaves academia.

 

I would agree most English or Literature classes aren't jumping into political or world problems.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.