Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best way to change playoff system?

Featured Replies

Thoughts? I say take the top 2 in each district, making the playoffs should be a big deal. 99.9% of the first round games are terrible.

  • Replies 73
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll go top 3. Give the #1 seeds a bye. If you're 0-10 or 1-9 you have no business in the playoffs.

I think the regular season should mean something and a playoff spot should be earned.

As a SK fan I say eliminate them. If you go undefeated in NKY you should get a trophy.

Interesting topic. I'm surprised this has never been discussed on BGP before.

We are getting started early on this annual debate. For those new to the discussion, I will restate my point that I make every year. I want football treated the same as every other sport. The KHSAA includes all teams in each sport in their playoffs, or as close to everyone as they can get. If we are going to knock football down to the top 2 in a district, I want the same for baseball, basketball, etc. In some sports you can even lose in the playoffs (district runnerup) and still move on to the regionals. So why should football be the only exception to every team getting into the playoffs?

We are getting started early on this annual debate. For those new to the discussion, I will restate my point that I make every year. I want football treated the same as every other sport. The KHSAA includes all teams in each sport in their playoffs, or as close to everyone as they can get. If we are going to knock football down to the top 2 in a district, I want the same for baseball, basketball, etc. In some sports you can even lose in the playoffs (district runnerup) and still move on to the regionals. So why should football be the only exception to every team getting into the playoffs?
This has always been my point as well.
We are getting started early on this annual debate. For those new to the discussion, I will restate my point that I make every year. I want football treated the same as every other sport. The KHSAA includes all teams in each sport in their playoffs, or as close to everyone as they can get. If we are going to knock football down to the top 2 in a district, I want the same for baseball, basketball, etc. In some sports you can even lose in the playoffs (district runnerup) and still move on to the regionals. So why should football be the only exception to every team getting into the playoffs?

 

This is it.

 

For me, the districts aren't well balanced enough every year for me to feel like the top 2 only need to advance. There are some tough districts in this state, to where the 3rd place team could have very well won several other districts.

 

I don't really think as many teams being in the post season hurts the system, I think it makes it better. Post season play is like democracy, the more people involved, the better it is for everyone.

 

 

I know plenty of people will make fun of the state for the amount of classes, teams in each class, and amount of teams making the post season. But, I think high school football is great and can offer some great matchups every year in exchange for some absolute beatings. Ultimately, I'm okay with that.

Your joking right, this subject comes up at least 3-4 times a year. While I agree that there are too many teams in the playoffs, it is a money maker for the schools and the KHSAA.

Your joking right, this subject comes up at least 3-4 times a year. While I agree that there are too many teams in the playoffs, it is a money maker for the schools and the KHSAA.

 

One round of games (which is what most want to eliminate) isn't a big money grab for the schools...I don't know if KHSAA gets anything from early playoff games, I'm pretty sure they don't.

The KHSAA has no monetary motivation for having more playoff rounds, as they make no money on the early rounds. They only get paid for the finals.

Illinois does something similar to what follows. Just because we talk about this stuff every year, here's my proposal:

 

1. Eliminate districts.

 

2. Develop a computer system. Top 192 teams make the playoffs, bottom 29 don't qualify.

 

3. Smallest 32 teams that qualify are 1A, next smallest 32 are 2A, and so on.

 

4. Divide those 32 into 4 geographic regions of 8 teams. 8th ranked team in the region travels to 1st ranked in the first round (7th at 2nd, etc.).

 

5. Use enrollment data from that year, so that there are no discrepancies of teams in the wrong class based on arbitrary data.

 

6. Some years a team could be 2A and other years 3A, it just depends on which teams qualify.

The above, by the way, is something I've thought about but also something tongue-in-cheek. I'm okay with the present method.

If we go four teams for each district in the playoffs, then bring it down to four classes from six. Otherwise, having only the top two from each district is perfect. In the time I played ball, it was only the district champion that got to go to the playoffs. The first round games have become an absolute joke the way it is now.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.