Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mayfield 35 Corbin 34

Featured Replies

As lopsided as this game was in the first half, I can't believe Corbin was in position to win. They had all the momentum in the world, just tie the darn thing up and go from there. Wish I could hear the reasoning behind the 2 point attempt. This game exposed some weaknesses for both teams, and both will be better for it come playoff time. Seems to me after Mayfield fell behind, they got motivated and really put it in another gear. Great first half of offense. Second half they came out flat, thinking they would just push Corbin around for 2 more quarters and it didn't happen. Career night for Tyler, great for that young man and to see what next year holds after Trajon graduates

  • Replies 41
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALWAYS go for the tie in that situation.

Being up 14 with a half to play is just not enough cushion to let off the gas in hs football. Float a snap over your punters head, get victimized by a suspect pass interference flag, and boom... your fighting unnecessarily to squeak one out. MF almost seemed bored or disinterested at times during the second half. False starts on freeze plays, dropped 6 yd passes, qb looking to handoff right to a rb that's going left, blown pass coverages, and lazy tackling are just a few examples among many that MF was just not into it mentally. Losing focus against a team as good as Corbin can easily get you beat. I just hope this serves as a lesson learned for my beloved Cardinals.

Corbin 

- First downs: 8.

Rushing-yards: 42.

Passing-yards: 138.

Total yards: 180.

Penalties-yards: 8-52.

Fumbles-lost: 2-2.

Mayfield - First downs:19 .

Rushing-yards: 143.

Passing-yards: 350.

Total yards: 493.

Penalties-yards: 10-72.

Fumbles-lost: 1-0.

INDIVIDUAL LEADERS

Rushing: Corbin-Jonah French: 4-22;

Mayfield-Shauntrez Tyler: 23-131.

Passing: Corbin-Cameron Sizemore:

12-22-138, 1 TD, 1 Int.

Mayfield-Landon Arnett: 25-38-350, 3 TDs, 1 int.

Receiving: Corbin-A Moore: 3-46.

Mayfield: Jack Murrell: 10-131.

Had the honor to get to sit with a old college buddy who played halfback on Corbin's last state championship team and also got the honor of sitting with BGP's very own DeSales Dad. 2 gentlemen I hold in the highest regards

As lopsided as this game was in the first half' date=' I can't believe Corbin was in position to win. They had all the momentum in the world, just tie the darn thing up and go from there. Wish I could hear the reasoning behind the 2 point attempt. This game exposed some weaknesses for both teams, and both will be better for it come playoff time. Seems to me after Mayfield fell behind, they got motivated and really put it in another gear. Great first half of offense. Second half they came out flat, thinking they would just push Corbin around for 2 more quarters and it didn't happen. Career night for Tyler, great for that young man and to see what next year holds after Trajon graduates[/quote']

 

I remember in 2014 McCracken/Mayfield went in to O.T......McCracken scored first and kicked the XP to go up 7, Mayfield answered back with a score and failed the 2pt conversion resulting in a 1 point loss. I think sometimes ( especially playing out of district/class) if the coach has a bad feeling about the flow of the game and gets the opportunity to take the lead or go for ghetto win instead of the tie they take it. It takes some guts but if it pays off they look like a genius, I believe I remember Coach Morris that night saying "we come here to play for the win not the tie and tonight it didn't go our way" Not saying I agree with it but I see the reason a coach would do it....he may of doubted his team's chances of getting back into scoring position against a tough MF defense.

I remember in 2014 McCracken/Mayfield went in to O.T......McCracken scored first and kicked the XP to go up 7, Mayfield answered back with a score and failed the 2pt conversion resulting in a 1 point loss. I think sometimes ( especially playing out of district/class) if the coach has a bad feeling about the flow of the game and gets the opportunity to take the lead or go for ghetto win instead of the tie they take it. It takes some guts but if it pays off they look like a genius, I believe I remember Coach Morris that night saying "we come here to play for the win not the tie and tonight it didn't go our way" Not saying I agree with it but I see the reason a coach would do it....he may of doubted his team's chances of getting back into scoring position against a tough MF defense.

 

I can understand going for the win in OT but with plenty of time left give your team a chance and don't add any more pressure on what was already induced from being down 3 scores.

I don't care what you say. Nobody in 2A can hold Mayfield's jocks.

Yeah, Mayfield has been gassed at the end of EVERY McCracken game, so I can't agree with that argument against Corbin... a team that had all the momentum at the time. I see your point though

MF going for 2 and the win against McCracken in OT was the right call. Corbin going for two with 3 minutes left, not so much in my opinion. Whether you are tied or up 1, MF still has time to try to get in fg range. You haven't changed what your defense will need to do. The thing you can't have happen, the risk you can't take, is coming away down 1. Unless you can't trust your kicker, which didn't appear to be a problem, you take that point in that situation.

I don't care what you say. Nobody in 2A can hold Mayfield's jocks.

 

Did anyone say differently?

BTW who wants to?

Did anyone say differently?

BTW who wants to?

 

It was just a general statement. Lol!! Nifty reply though.

Good teams make you make mental errors. Corbin is a good team. Mayfield won't be tested now till the Caldwell County game.

I had no problem with Corbin going for 2 and the lead. If it went into OT, and there is no guarantee that it would with Mayfield getting the ball with 4 minutes to play, Mayfield had obviously been much better offensively and would be hard to stop in OT.

 

Corbin's history of being on the bad side of failed point conversions goes back to the 1977 state final against Mayfield. Corbin scored to close within 1 point with under a minute to play, decided to go for 2 and came up about 6 inches short. They also had the failed 2 pt conversion at the end of the semifinal game against Owensboro Cath. ,again the following year against DeSales in the 3rd OT and also in the playoffs against Larue Co. a few years back.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.