September 20, 201610 yr Why do you hope he was? Because for me it explains his behavior. Everyone always says "if he would listen to the cops then he wouldn't have gotten shot." At least we know why he wasn't listening. I still haven't seen anything to excuse him being shot but the sympathetic shot that you mentioned makes sense to me and seems highly likely. In the never ending search for answers when these situations occur when I see high on PCP and sympathetic shot it humanizes the entire situation a whole lot better for me.
September 20, 201610 yr Author The officer's attorney said this: "He has his hands up and is facing the car and looks at Shelby, and his left hand goes through the car window, and that's when she fired her shot," Wood told the Tulsa World for a report Tuesday. The status of the window is going to be key.
September 20, 201610 yr Author @00Rocket28 What's normal or protocol for what officers do after shooting someone? Do they wait for EMS? Do they administer aid?
September 20, 201610 yr Author Is there no audio from the shooting or have they just not released it yet? I don't think so. Can't find anything online.
September 20, 201610 yr @00Rocket28 What's normal or protocol for what officers do after shooting someone? Do they wait for EMS? Do they administer aid? Depends on there training. Some officers get basic combat dressing a wound type thing. I carry a tourniquet and some clotting stuff to pack a wound and basic gauze
September 20, 201610 yr Author Depends on there training. Some officers get basic combat dressing a wound type thing. I carry a tourniquet and some clotting stuff to pack a wound and basic gauze The officers on the scene are catching a lot of flack online for not giving aid. Could they have saved his life? No one knows. Poor optics.
September 20, 201610 yr @00Rocket28 What's normal or protocol for what officers do after shooting someone? Do they wait for EMS? Do they administer aid? Not sure what kind of aid a non-medical professional can give a gunshot victim. I would think they are trained in basic aid but not trauma. Here is a link I found where the news asked several different agencies. What Do Police Do After a Suspect is Wounded? | News Fix | KQED News
September 20, 201610 yr Author I respectfully disagree. The actions of someone on it is intense. I went hands on with a guy on it once. I had 50-60 lbs on him and most of that weight difference was muscle and it was crazy. Guy broke my cuffs.just saying someone on PCP could escalate things. I don't discount anything you say as far as possibilities. My point is the status of his brain/bloodstream are irrelevant to the basic question. Did he have quick access OR make a move that COULD have resulted in access to a gun ? To me, it's that simple. The rest (did he listen, PCP, he didn't have his hands up initially,etc) are just for discussion and debate. She will either keep her job b/c someone felt there was reasonable suspicion of a threat or she'll be fired/charged because there wasn't.
September 20, 201610 yr Indeed, you get out of the car, you're not to return till I say go back to your car. If you are in the female officers positon what should you do to stop him from going back to the vehicle? If she had a taser would she have been justified in using it for that action alone?
September 20, 201610 yr Author If you are in the female officers positon what should you do to stop him from going back to the vehicle? If she had a taser would she have been justified in using it for that action alone? I would think that would be a "definitely." It seems perfect for the use of a taser.
September 21, 201610 yr Typically you don't want every officer with a taser out, in the event they do present a deadly force weapon. I'll stick with my hypothesis as sympathetic gun fire. My guess is the male did not announce "taser" before deploying it.
September 21, 201610 yr Tasers don't always work. Plus, tasers don't always work. Not to mention, tasers don't always work. When you couple the fact that tasers don't always work with the fact that tasers don't always work, police officers will tell you tasers don't always work. Taser doesn't work, then what? Baton? Pepper spray? Firearm? This mind set of "They should have tased him" has to stop. It's a tool in the force continuim. Someone pulls a gun or knife, you don't draw a taser. If you are unsure of what the threat is, you don't draw a taser. And police officers aren't taught to shoot in the leg so that they are assured of living. The biggest issue in society today is the amount of contempt that people have for authority and authority's growing inability to deal with contempt. It's an unfortunate vicious cycle. I couldn't have said it better @The Scribe! Non lethal methods don't always work and when they don't it more than likely turns out bad for the good guys. In certain instances I'm completely for using non lethal force to subdue someone that is non compliant, it works well in prisons for instance. But in general society when anyone and everyone could be armed, it's not a good way to go into an unknown situation if you care about your own life as much as you care about the unknown person's life. The truth of the matter is that if people had enough common sense to not do the exact opposite of what they are being asked/told to do by law enforcement, we wouldn't be having this conversation. That is, unless the person had bad intentions in the first place. I've never been someone that bow's down to the man and I have had my own problems in life that have landed me in jail more than once. But one thing I do have is common sense, so I know that if I were to get stopped outside of my car and asked to stay where I am, I would know better than to start walking to my car and attempt to get inside it. That's just not normal, unless your trying to provoke an officer or have your own (unknown) reason to get away from the officer/officers.
September 21, 201610 yr Typically you don't want every officer with a taser out, in the event they do present a deadly force weapon. I'll stick with my hypothesis as sympathetic gun fire. My guess is the male did not announce "taser" before deploying it. Or taser taser taser.....
September 21, 201610 yr The officer's attorney said this: "He has his hands up and is facing the car and looks at Shelby, and his left hand goes through the car window, and that's when she fired her shot," Wood told the Tulsa World for a report Tuesday. The status of the window is going to be key. Agreed.
September 21, 201610 yr I would think that would be a "definitely." It seems perfect for the use of a taser. You would think. Just saw a discussion on Facebook about it, there were on there stating he shouldn't have even been tasered.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.