Worst regular season record to win a title??

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From brief research, No State Champion at least since 1998 has lost more than 3 games in a season. The exception to that being Newport Central Cath twice, Louisville Central twice, and the PT team that was mentioned.

I would argue that with the current format that no 4-6A team will win a state championship with a losing record. Many of the better 1-2A can't get teams in their class to play so I could see a potiental smaller school making the nearly impossible happen.

@plantmanky I also came across this head scratcher with the 2004 Highlands team. Results show they forfeited all but 1 game and ended up winning State 22-6 over Boyle. Not sure how that's possible.

From brief research, No State Champion at least since 1998 has lost more than 3 games in a season. The exception to that being 2006 Newport Central Cath with 5 loses and Louisville Central lost 5 games in 2007 and 6 games in 2010, and the PT team that was mentioned.

@plantmanky I also came across this head scratcher with the 2004 Highlands team. Results show they forfeited all but 1 game and ended up winning State 22-6 over Boyle. Not sure how that's possible.

When Mike Mitchell was ruled ineligible leading into the Championship game. Highlands finished the season at 2-13. Talk about a classic thread.

For purposes of this thread I was eliminating forfeited records.

From brief research, No State Champion at least since 1998 has lost more than 3 games in a season. The exception to that being Newport Central Cath twice, Louisville Central twice, and the PT team that was mentioned.

Highlands' top running back ruled ineligible - schurz-centralkentuckynews

Trinity lost 4 games on their way to winning the 4A title in 2003.

Trinity lost 4 games on their way to winning the 4A title in 2003.

Didn't Trinity start off 0-5 one year and then win the State? Included in the losing streak were close losses to Seneca and Manual, if memory serves. Brian Brohm was the QB? Beat St. X 17-14 for the title. (I may be way off base and/or mixing up seasons. If so, someone please correct me.)

Didn't Trinity start off 0-5 one year and then win the State? Included in the losing streak were close losses to Seneca and Manual, if memory serves. Brian Brohm was the QB? Beat St. X 17-14 for the title. (I may be way off base and/or mixing up seasons. If so, someone please correct me.)

That was '03. They didn't start 0-5, though. It was either 0-4 or 1-4. They lost their district to Seneca, then reeled off 10 or 11 wins in a row, beating St. X 17-14 in the championship game.