Pop Up Campers

formerkywrestler

Anyone have one or has owned one in the past? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it? Any tips for buying one?

Girlfriend is interested in getting one.

It was our first camper. Coleman. Frankly, you can pick one up pretty cheap with AC used. I'd never buy a new one. If you buy a used one, be sure to get it totally extended so you can see the canvas and make sure it's ok. Before you pop it up, the "roof" is very easily inspected. And once you get it up, before you brace it, you can physically check the walls of the box and they should be sturdy. You don't have to be a construction guy to check these things. I'd make sure that when plugged in, all the lights, and outlets work. Assuming you buy one with a sink or a toilet, check the plumbing there as well. All easy things to do. There are so many out there that they usually are very reasonable. We loved ours and it's so easy to pull, low profile. You'll dig it.

It was our first camper. Coleman. Frankly, you can pick one up pretty cheap with AC used. I'd never buy a new one. If you buy a used one, be sure to get it totally extended so you can see the canvas and make sure it's ok. Before you pop it up, the "roof" is very easily inspected. And once you get it up, before you brace it, you can physically check the walls of the box and they should be sturdy. You don't have to be a construction guy to check these things. I'd make sure that when plugged in, all the lights, and outlets work. Assuming you buy one with a sink or a toilet, check the plumbing there as well. All easy things to do. There are so many out there that they usually are very reasonable. We loved ours and it's so easy to pull, low profile. You'll dig it.
Awesome. Thank you for the advice. We are definitely looking for a used one. Don't care about a shower or toilet at all, in fact would rather not have one. A/C is the main thing.

We moved from a pop up, to a hybrid (walls are all hard but the ends pop out for the beds) to a travel trailer. For just getting off the ground and having AC, it was very good. But once we moved up to glamping, I couldn't go back to a popup. Spindoc hit most of everything. I think we camped with other couple who had nice trailers and while we were setting up our pop up, they pulled in and starting drinking beer in about 10 minutes. Made us want to upgrade.

We moved from a pop up, to a hybrid (walls are all hard but the ends pop out for the beds) to a travel trailer. For just getting off the ground and having AC, it was very good. But once we moved up to glamping, I couldn't go back to a popup. Spindoc hit most of everything. I think we camped with other couple who had nice trailers and while we were setting up our pop up, they pulled in and starting drinking beer in about 10 minutes. Made us want to upgrade.

We did something similar. Started with a pop-up. Then to travel trailer. Then to travel trailer with slideouts. Then to 5th wheel. All of them provided terrific memories.

I couldn't help myself, I got on CL after this thread yesterday, and there are some really solid popups on there for 3500 and under. Former and crew will really enjoy all that comes with, I'm certain.

Oh, and as an aside, I think my favorite spot of all of those we camped, was the horsepark. Loved it.

What reasons would keep you from going back?

We did something similar. Started with a pop-up. Then to travel trailer. Then to travel trailer with slideouts. Then to 5th wheel. All of them provided terrific memories.

I couldn't help myself, I got on CL after this thread yesterday, and there are some really solid popups on there for 3500 and under. Former and crew will really enjoy all that comes with, I'm certain.

Oh, and as an aside, I think my favorite spot of all of those we camped, was the horsepark. Loved it.

Care to share any of those? I'm trying to decide if I'm being too cheap or not.