Trace Young Transfers to N Hardin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What ever happened to playing high school sports for school pride and love of the game. We have turned KY high school basketball into an individual business. All this transferring from school to school to get better exposure and build super teams defeats the purpose of the joy you get rom beating your rival and feeling good about it the next day at school. I do not know how many of these kids could have any loyalty or pride in a school they just started at. Someone needs to reevaluate the transfer rules in this state. You live in a school district and if your family moves then great but to move around from relative to relative or getting someone to sponsor you seems a little too much. Coming from Alabama where high school football is a greater part of a community than basketball here, I never saw this type of action by kids. It was the exception if a player changed schools not the excepted norm. Kids took pride in playing for their schools even if they were not the super stars or even on a state champion contender. Lets get the AAU mentality out of high school basketball and get back to what high school sports should be - having fun, enjoying the game and having school spirit. The great players will shine in any situation. This is a naïve position I am sure but one I believe in. Sports becomes a business soon enough when the few get to the college level - lets don't let the business infiltrate the high school level.

What ever happened to playing high school sports for school pride and love of the game. We have turned KY high school basketball into an individual business. All this transferring from school to school to get better exposure and build super teams defeats the purpose of the joy you get rom beating your rival and feeling good about it the next day at school. I do not know how many of these kids could have any loyalty or pride in a school they just started at. Someone needs to reevaluate the transfer rules in this state. You live in a school district and if your family moves then great but to move around from relative to relative or getting someone to sponsor you seems a little too much. Coming from Alabama where high school football is a greater part of a community than basketball here, I never saw this type of action by kids. It was the exception if a player changed schools not the excepted norm. Kids took pride in playing for their schools even if they were not the super stars or even on a state champion contender. Lets get the AAU mentality out of high school basketball and get back to what high school sports should be - having fun, enjoying the game and having school spirit. The great players will shine in any situation. This is a naïve position I am sure but one I believe in. Sports becomes a business soon enough when the few get to the college level - lets don't let the business infiltrate the high school level.

Answer: Nike, Adidas, exorbitant NBA salaries, AAU "coaches" who are little more than talent scouts/hangers-on, family members pushing for pro $.

It's too late to change. The business that is basketball is moving in an entirely different direction from tradition.

It's a shame, too, because college coaching and 2-4 years of pre-NBA development have been de-valued by the influencers and the game as a whole is suffering. If you read draft evaluations 3-4 year college players are DE-valued because of their age and because they played too long in college. Ridiculous.

It would happen with football if 4 years of college S&C weren't necessary.

It will never happen with baseball because - obviously - no one cares about baseball.