NBA Pulls All Star Game From Charlotte

I don't know. I'm not on the inside. I would imagine that you can ask the same question now that the game has been moved, no? Have any Charlotte-based businesses pulled sponsorships of the NBA?

I imagine that any LGBQT sponsorships or potential partners as well as LGBQT fan dollars were the motivation. Growth in this sector has to be considered an opportunity for the NBA on the back of Jason Collins a few years back. JMO.

The answer is they don't benefit financially. Right or wrong you don't benefit financily on divisive topics . They took a stand more power to them. But Kate is wrong on the business side.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer is they don't benefit financially. Right or wrong you don't benefit financily on divisive topics . They took a stand more power to them. But Kate is wrong on the business side.

Forbes Welcome

The NBA is trying to target the LGBQT market. This decision to move the game, Adam Silver walking in Pride Parades, the public support of Jason Collins; the NBA monetizes these decisions, IMO. If this represented any significant economic risk, they wouldn't get involved.

Charlotte estimates moving the NBA's All-Star Game out of the city means a loss of $1 million - Jul. 22, 216

It seems like the NBA is aligning with some major businesses and potential partners. Charlotte is losing a ton, but there no mention of economic ramifications for the NBA.

NBA to move All-Star Game over N.C. law - CNN.com

Turner Broadcasting, a major partner, supports the decision to move the game. Cities are clamouring to get the game moved to their city. The NBA has mentioned moving the game back to Charlotte in 2019 to appease the Hornets.

I readily admit that I may be missing something, but everything I am reading seems to support low economic risk for the league and potential economic gains.

Forbes Welcome

The NBA is trying to target the LGBQT market. This decision to move the game, Adam Silver walking in Pride Parades, the public support of Jason Collins; the NBA monetizes these decisions, IMO. If this represented any significant economic risk, they wouldn't get involved.

Charlotte estimates moving the NBA's All-Star Game out of the city means a loss of $1 million - Jul. 22, 216

It seems like the NBA is aligning with some major businesses and potential partners. Charlotte is losing a ton, but there no mention of economic ramifications for the NBA.

NBA to move All-Star Game over N.C. law - CNN.com

Turner Broadcasting, a major partner, supports the decision to move the game. Cities are clamouring to get the game moved to their city. The NBA has mentioned moving the game back to Charlotte in 2019 to appease the Hornets.

I readily admit that I may be missing something, but everything I am reading seems to support low economic risk for the league and potential economic gains.

So its not ok today but in 2019 it will be ok for Charlotte to host? Tells you all you need to know right there.

So its not ok today but in 2019 it will be ok for Charlotte to host? Tells you all you need to know right there.

The league would be willing to revisit in 2019 because in that time the law could be changed. I'm willing to bet that if this law remains on the books, the NBA wouldn't put the game there.