The "genius" journalist that got PTSD firing an AR-15 now wants...

All Tell

At ballgames, yes, they are given the same instructions as pre-game — "Would everybody please stand, and gentlemen kindly remove your caps, as we honor America with the singing of 'God Bless America.'" And since people are sheep, they do it, even though it's not correct and it cheapens the National Anthem.

It did start out after 9-11 and teams got too caught up in it after that. I think it's fine to do on days such as Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day that are national holidays that fall within the MLB schedule. Outside of that it's not appropriate. And it's not appropriate for the announcers to have people show reverence to GBA the way they do for the National Anthem.

It started in baseball after 9/11, but the Philadelphia Flyers (of the NHL) have been playing "God Bless America" before games since 1969, and consider the song their good luck charm. They don't play it before every game..usually only before important games. The crowd reaction to the song in Philly is one of the cooler things you'll ever witness in a stadium/arena...gives me goosebumps every time I see it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You, like JD, made the same mistake of assuming my objections come from a religious standpoint.

I probably hear the National Anthem played somewhere around 225 times or so per year. I stand at attention (and usually sing along) every time. Don't dare question my patriotism just because you don't agree with me. "God Bless America" is a nice song, a fine sentimental, patriotic hymn. It is not our National Anthem.

Your Patriotism, in particular, was not questioned. You can choose to stand and display it, or not. Fortunately you have that God given right, here in America.

I didn't assume that, I said "You can complain because "God" is in the title" meaning I would have understood why you were complaining.

That's not even my beef. It is clear, however, that the people who view GBA's elevation to National Anthem reverence status as no big deal is because of God being involved in the song.

It's a fine song. It's not our country's National Anthem and should not be observed as though it is.

That's not even my beef. It is clear, however, that the people who view GBA's elevation to National Anthem reverence status as no big deal is because of God being involved in the song.

It's a fine song. It's not our country's National Anthem and should not be observed as though it is.

I'd feel the same if it was This Land is Your Land. I just don't agree that it cheapens the National Anthem...and I LOVE our National Anthem.

I don't personally like this writer, but I can't completely disagree with his opinion. Why do they sing God Bless America at baseball games? They don't rattle it off b/n the 3rd and 4th quarters of NFL games or NBA games? It something that baseball wanted to do, but it isn't unpatriotic to not want it to be played every game.

I don't have a problem with the song. When I hear it I immediately think of the souls that we lost because of the terrorist attack of 9/11/01. We should never forget, and if it takes a simple song to remind me/us, then so be it. Am I in the majority? I don't know, but this horse's backside of a journalist needs to lighten up. If you don't want to stand, sing, remove your cap, or listen, don't. But don't ruin it for the majority who do. I'm tired of people like this always trying to find a problem with anything.

God Bless America on Sunday afternoons is one of my favorite things about working in GABP. To me, it doesn't cheapen the National Anthem at all.

The more opportunities that we have to show patriotism in this country, the better, in my opinion. I feel like God Bless America on Sundays at a Reds game is special and it is a tradition that I'd be bummed if they quit doing it. I also love when they honor an active/veteran each game.

Way to overreact. The bottom line is we stand at attention and remove our hats for the National Anthem. "God Bless America" is not that.

Don't you think the guy wanting it removed is overreacting?

A side note. I thank God my daughter never dated a guy like this journalist. Having a guy like that in my family is beyond cringe worthy.

I don't personally like this writer, but I can't completely disagree with his opinion. Why do they sing God Bless America at baseball games? They don't rattle it off b/n the 3rd and 4th quarters of NFL games or NBA games? It something that baseball wanted to do, but it isn't unpatriotic to not want it to be played every game.

Why should anyone care what this one idiot wants though?