June 17, 201610 yr At any given moment there are about 18 million cars on the road. If 18 million guns were being used throughout the US at one time we would be conducting a Purge. The regulation and accountability surrounding the automobile industry dwarfs anything the gun industry must deal with.
June 17, 201610 yr WATCH: Former Navy SEAL DESTROYS Democrats Calling For An 'Assault Rifle' Ban | The Sean Hannity Show Enjoy!
June 17, 201610 yr I've really, really wanted to stay out of this, but after wading through 7 pages worth, there were a couple of points that were made that seemed to be really glossed over. I don't mean to make light of the 50 or so who were killed in Orlando in this attack, but after doing some brief research on Google, it appears that nearly 10,000 people die each year in alcohol-related auto accidents in the US. Let that sink in. You could have an attack like the one in Florida 3 times a week, every week, for an entire year, and still not reach the number of people who die due to drinking and driving. Yet no one on here, and I mean no one, is on their soap box preaching that we should bring back prohibition, because alcohol in the wrong hands is a dangerous weapon. Same thing with excessive speeding. The figures I saw, said (again) about 10,000 people die in accidents attributed to speeding. (Now, I'm sure some of the deaths here may also be attributed in the number of DUI-related deaths, but I'm too tired to delve that deeply into it.) The point being, is that I don't hear anybody calling out Dodge for putting 500 horsepower in its Charger. Who's the one that's going to Detroit and get the big 3 together to say, "Guys, we really don't need that much horsepower in any of these vehicles. I mean, who needs to go 90 mph? 70 is the speed limit in most places. Why don't you cut down on the HP, and maybe put a governor in there to make sure nobody goes too fast." Yeah, that ain't happening, either. My point in this, is that we have anywhere from 10-20 thousand people who die in what many would term "senseless deaths" each and every year...and dang near not a whisper is heard about trying to rectify the problem. Why? Is it because it's so easy to nickel and dime these types of deaths and spread them out over the entire country? But, let one episode happen in relative isolation to the rest of the country...and suddenly we're looking at repealing one of our constitutional rights? I can't believe I'm even typing this. Listen folks, we've got problems. Lots of problems. But, to assume that this is going to be a solution, I'm sorry, I just don't see it. Unfortunately, if people want to do damage, and are willing to lay down their life to do it...it's probably going to happen. If they can't get the weapons legally, they'll get them illegally. And maybe it's not even guns. Are we tracking who buys diesel fuel and fertilizer? Because the last I heard, that can make a pretty big boom, too. Okay, I'm off my soap box now. The final thing that I'll leave you with is this...if the FBI looked into this guy as much as they did, and still didn't find what they needed...how in the heck is the vetting process for all these refugees that some people say we should let in, supposed to be any better? That scares me. It really does. It seems like we're really just sticking our chin out there and daring somebody to hit it. Motor vehicle fatalities have decreased dramatically - even in the face of a concomitant increase in the number of vehicles on the road and the number of miles driven. Probably because vehicles are much, much safer than they used to be. All some of us are asking is to give the same consideration to weaponry available to the general public.
June 17, 201610 yr The only revamping that would make this legal is to convict them of a crime. Like I said if we want to stop the terrorist who are citizens declare war on known terrorist group in Congress. Treason becomes an easier case. That doesn't mean the No Fly list can be done on the up and up a whole lot more than what it is being done at now.
June 17, 201610 yr At any given moment there are about 18 million cars on the road. If 18 million guns were being used throughout the US at one time we would be conducting a Purge. The regulation and accountability surrounding the automobile industry dwarfs anything the gun industry must deal with. There are over 300 million guns in the United States. Very, very few percentage of those commit crimes. 1 out of 50 Priests are a pedophile according to the Pope and no one is calling to ban Priests. The Orlando shooter was Muslim with sympathy to ISIS, the left isn't calling to ban Islam. No one wants their right to freedom of religion taken away. Instead of calling for taking away rights, why can't we work on stopping and punishing the criminal. Edited June 17, 201610 yr by littleluck55
June 17, 201610 yr Motor vehicle fatalities have decreased dramatically - even in the face of a concomitant increase in the number of vehicles on the road and the number of miles driven. Probably because vehicles are much, much safer than they used to be. All some of us are asking is to give the same consideration to weaponry available to the general public. Gun fatalities have decreased dramatically since the early 90's - even in the face of a concomitant increase in the number of guns being owned.
June 17, 201610 yr Gun fatalities have decreased dramatically since the early 90's - even in the face of a concomitant increase in the number of guns being owned. Guns are now killing as many people as cars in the U.S. - The Washington Post
June 17, 201610 yr I often wonder why those on the Left are tone deaf when it comes to the person committing the attack is the problem. This guy had 3 hours in the club. He could have killed 50 people with a hammer in that amount of time.
June 17, 201610 yr I often wonder why those on the Left are tone deaf when it comes to the person committing the attack is the problem. This guy had 3 hours in the club. He could have killed 50 people with a hammer in that amount of time. I'm guessing that if the guy thought a hammer would be a more suitable instrument of slaughter, maybe that's what he would have used. Just a guess, though.
June 17, 201610 yr Guns are now killing as many people as cars in the U.S. - The Washington Post This proves my point we are in trouble as a society in general. This is a heart problem, not a gun problem. Mathew 24:12 New Living Translation"Sin will be rampant everywhere, and the love of many will grow cold."
June 17, 201610 yr I'm guessing that if the guy thought a hammer would be a more suitable instrument of slaughter, maybe that's what he would have used. Just a guess, though. You just proved my thought quite well.
June 17, 201610 yr I often wonder why those on the Left are tone deaf when it comes to the person committing the attack is the problem. This guy had 3 hours in the club. He could have killed 50 people with a hammer in that amount of time. He's got no chance of subduing and killing 50 people with a hammer. Maybe a couple, but to be able to kill and injure 100 people as this guy did, your only chance is with a gun. Pro gun folks always point out that killers can use anything to kill, and while that's true, guns do it more efficiently than any other "tool" outside of a large bomb. And while people use guns for sport, their primary function, when used as designed, is to kill. Period. And that's what makes this issue a tough one to separate the guns from the crime. That being said, I'm all for gun ownership. I grew up in a houseful of guns, and while I don't own any now, I still may in the future. And even though I don't understand why people feel the need to own certain kinds of guns, or a whole closet full of guns, I'm sure there's plenty of things I do that other people don't understand as well. Banning certain kinds of guns I don't think prevents these sort of things from happening. It makes us feel better. But some of the arguments that the hard core gun owners make, are just as silly as the arguments the hard core anti gun folks make....and sorry Capt, a guy killing 50 people with a hammer is silly. And believe it or not, I agree with you on most of the gun issues. There's no question that there is some relationship to the enormous number of guns we have in this country to the high incidents of gun violence. And there's also no question that most, if not 99% percent of gun owners are responsible and no threat to society. We've got to figure out how to find and prevent that 1% from getting hold of guns, at least legally.
June 17, 201610 yr He's got no chance of subduing and killing 50 people with a hammer. Maybe a couple, but to be able to kill and injure 100 people as this guy did, your only chance is with a gun. Pro gun folks always point out that killers can use anything to kill, and while that's true, guns do it more efficiently than any other "tool" outside of a large bomb. And while people use guns for sport, their primary function, when used as designed, is to kill. Period. And that's what makes this issue a tough one to separate the guns from the crime. That being said, I'm all for gun ownership. I grew up in a houseful of guns, and while I don't own any now, I still may in the future. And even though I don't understand why people feel the need to own certain kinds of guns, or a whole closet full of guns, I'm sure there's plenty of things I do that other people don't understand as well. Banning certain kinds of guns I don't think prevents these sort of things from happening. It makes us feel better. But some of the arguments that the hard core gun owners make, are just as silly as the arguments the hard core anti gun folks make....and sorry Capt, a guy killing 50 people with a hammer is silly. And believe it or not, I agree with you on most of the gun issues. There's no question that there is some relationship to the enormous number of guns we have in this country to the high incidents of gun violence. And there's also no question that most, if not 99% percent of gun owners are responsible and no threat to society. We've got to figure out how to find and prevent that 1% from getting hold of guns, at least legally. That's an honest assessment and answer. You and I can find a common ground. I feel the FBI dropped the ball to an extent on this guy and the San Bernadino couple. Those that only blame the weapon are missing the entire picture. As as far as gun violence, might want to check with Australia and see how violent crime has increased since their gun grab.
June 17, 201610 yr Guns are now killing as many people as cars in the U.S. - The Washington Post Car deaths largely map to miles driven. Miles driven is way down since 2005 - even with a growing population. What would gun number be if one took out the gang-on-gang inner city 'gun deaths'? Statistically, America has a 'gun violence' issue that is mostly hitting a certain group - and no one really wants to or cares to address that.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.