DNA confirms Nile crocodiles found in Florida

theguru

At least two Nile crocodiles have been captured in South Florida, and there could be more in the wild, researchers say.

A team of researchers used DNA analysis on four crocodiles captured between 2000 and 2014 to confirm that at least two of the crocs were most closely related to Nile crocodiles from Africa, according to a study just published in the journal Herpetological Conservation and Biology.

While Florida is no stranger to non-native amphibians and reptiles, (we’re talking about you, Burmese python), the Nile crocodile is of particular concern. Researchers estimate that the croc, an aggressive species, may be responsible for some 200 human deaths a year in Africa.

The Nile crocs also have a hearty appetite for cattle, and another concern is that there could be potential crossbreeding with the small population of American alligators, according to the study.

DNA confirms Nile crocodiles found in Florida

I thought I had heard last summer that there were crocodiles on Hilton Head Island. I know for sure there are alligators but someone also said crocodiles. Perhaps that's a different species of crocs though.