March 31, 201610 yr I'll make this note: The parent decided that instead of going up the chain of command (coach - AD - principal - central office) she decided to skip straight to central office. The school (AD and principal) were not involved from the beginning. Then central office never spoke to the coach prior to offering her her "options". I don't blame the coach for resigning. Sounds like this parent know what they were doing and how to get the result they wanted.
March 31, 201610 yr Coaching position, so not a teaching issue. It became a teaching issue once they threatened to put a letter in her personnel file. True story.
March 31, 201610 yr From the outside looking in the lines are blurred. Some of the reports I received said the coach in question was going to have discipline on her record as a result of this incident. If that is the case, it is most surely a teaching issue too because it will affect further employment. Specifically I was told this about the situation, I am not claiming this is true, only this is one of the items that was passed on to me: Superintendent gave the following ultimatum to the coach: Either apologize and admit you did it on purpose (it will go on your record) or apologize but don't admit it was on purpose (still goes on your record) and take 5 days unpaid. Coach (and I guess her staff) decided to resign instead. ===================== Maybe coaches need a Coaching Union. Thats interesting. Does Boone Co have a teachers union?
March 31, 201610 yr It became a teaching issue once they threatened to put a letter in her personnel file. True story. Maybe, but para professional coaches have a personnel file too, so that is any different than normal.
March 31, 201610 yr Maybe, but para professional coaches have a personnel file too, so that is any different than normal. The "options" would've affected her teaching position as well.
March 31, 201610 yr Sounds like this parent know what they were doing and how to get the result they wanted. Sounds like another problem with the school system to me. I would think the AD and Principal of Conner High school should have been approached first. If the parent was unsatisfied with them, then the Super should have been the next stop. Or put another way, maybe the Super should have referred the parent back down to the AD and Principal. Of course it wouldn't surprise me if the Super picked up the phone to the Conner Principal and AD, they held a quick, private trial on the phone, and then judgment was passed down. Not saying that happened, just saying it wouldn't surprise me.
March 31, 201610 yr I'll make this note: The parent decided that instead of going up the chain of command (coach - AD - principal - central office) she decided to skip straight to central office. The school (AD and principal) were not involved from the beginning. Then central office never spoke to the coach prior to offering her her "options". I don't blame the coach for resigning. Had this conversation with another BGP'er and may have even posted it. The more parents go overboard and start pressing buttons, the less likely it is that we will have folks want to bother coaching. It's just not worth the money to put up with the headaches. The kids are the ones who end up losing on the whole deal.
March 31, 201610 yr Thats interesting. Does Boone Co have a teachers union? Not my area of expertise. It should be a statewide Union for teachers and coaches. As soon as you start breaking down unions to local school districts you greatly diminish the power the Union has and therefore individual teachers and coaches have.
March 31, 201610 yr Coach Koors record speaks for itself. Under her tenure, she has appeared in the regional final 8/11 years. Coach Koors has one of the most successful program in the history of the school including boys and girls sports at Conner High School. It is ridiculous that her reputation is being put in question. She is well respected by her players, parents and the community. There will always be a few players/parents that will have an issue. I can guarantee that "intent" was not involved in this incident and has been blown completely out of proportion.
March 31, 201610 yr Not my area of expertise. It should be a statewide Union for teachers and coaches. As soon as you start breaking down unions to local school districts you greatly diminish the power the Union has and therefore individual teachers and coaches have. As far as I know KY does not have a statewide Teachers Union.
March 31, 201610 yr Sounds like another problem with the school system to me. I would think the AD and Principal of Conner High school should have been approached first. If the parent was unsatisfied with them, then the Super should have been the next stop. Or put another way, maybe the Super should have referred the parent back down to the AD and Principal. Of course it wouldn't surprise me if the Super picked up the phone to the Conner Principal and AD, they held a quick, private trial on the phone, and then judgment was passed down. Not saying that happened, just saying it wouldn't surprise me. I've seen the chain of command bypassed before by parents (in a different school system) and the school board tends to shoot first, ask questions later. It doesn't seem to take much to get an investigation started, suspensions handed out, etc. I'm surprised it doesn't happen like this more often.
March 31, 201610 yr Coach Koors record speaks for itself. Under her tenure, she has appeared in the regional final 8/11 years. Coach Koors has one of the most successful program in the history of the school including boys and girls sports at Conner High School. It is ridiculous that her reputation is being put in question. She is well respected by her players, parents and the community. There will always be a few players/parents that will have an issue. I can guarantee that "intent" was not involved in this incident and has been blown completely out of proportion. Are you saying the School System came down on her side? From the outside looking in it appears the School System sustained this complaint against Coach Koors. Or put in simple terms, the School System found her guilty of something and as a result Coach Koors resigned.
March 31, 201610 yr I've seen the chain of command bypassed before by parents (in a different school system) and the school board tends to shoot first, ask questions later. It doesn't seem to take much to get an investigation started, suspensions handed out, etc. I'm surprised it doesn't happen like this more often. That's what happens in secret societies. I believe school systems convince their employees that all the secrecy is good for them as invidiculals because no one gets to know your business only nothing could be further from the truth. The secrecy involved allows the people in charge to do whatever they want whenever they want and you can bet your bottom dollar the teachers and coaches are pawns in this game. If the process was defined and transparent this kind of thing, running an end around to the Super, wouldn't happen because it couldn't happen. If it did happen, the Super would be "on trial."
March 31, 201610 yr That's what happens in secret societies. I believe school systems convince their employees that all the secrecy is good for them as invidiculals because no one gets to know your business only nothing could be further from the truth. The secrecy involved allows the people in charge to do whatever they want whenever they want and you can bet your bottom dollar the teachers and coaches are pawns in this game. If the process was defined and transparent this kind of thing, running an end around to the Super, wouldn't happen because it couldn't happen. If it did happen, the Super would be "on trial." Maybe your best post ever young fella!!! In a nut shell that's the deal.
March 31, 201610 yr Author I thought the same thing. I also snicker at the "greener grass" suggestion that there is never any "drama" in a private school. Every school, public and private, has it's fair share of drama......hell I graduated 32 years ago from NewCath and I'm still dealing with the drama of the Bishop adding Central to the school name. LOL
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.