Nicest Gyms in the state?

DOZER7

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New gym is listed on KHSAA as 2000

Old gym seated 2200, but I know I saw 25-2600 in there several times. I probably have some photos of the old gym...will have to dig though. The ones in yearbooks just don't show it very well.

I agree. It was a shame they tore it down. A new bank was needed, but could've went elsewhere. A new courthouse? eh.

Always remember there was a smoking area between the gym and baseball field for the high school students between classes or on lunch, man how times have changed.:lol2:

New gym is listed on KHSAA as 2000

Old gym seated 2200, but I know I saw 25-2600 in there several times. I probably have some photos of the old gym...will have to dig though. The ones in yearbooks just don't show it very well.

I agree. It was a shame they tore it down. A new bank was needed, but could've went elsewhere. A new courthouse? eh.

Got to love money that is earmarked for useless things... much like the two lane bridge to a one lane tunnel that will be built soon enough.

Saw it on WYMT. That is one high ceiling.

Yes, Breathitt Coliseum has a very high ceiling due to it being a circular dome architectural design. A section over one of the end zones collapsed about 15 years ago and when it was repaired they did some reconfiguration of the seating when they installed heaters. They actually lost several hundred seats when the heaters were installed.I think they list it's capacity at 4,000 but it won't come close to seating that many. 3,000 to 3,200 would be a more realistic number.

It was opened in the 1964-65 school year and Adolph Rupp was in attendance. It's a very beautiful gym with some great history, and one of the nicer ones in the state.

I like Pulaski's as well. I have not seen one nicer then Mercer's gym. The fact that it's only about five years old is in it's favor .

They need to fix their scoreboards at Mercer County. That's my only gripe. I wish they would hold the 12th Region tournament there but I don't think that will ever happen.