Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Nicest Gyms in the state?

Featured Replies

I know I have pics of me playing there...had to climb up a ladder to check in.

 

Didn't that gym have a nick name?

Loved playing there, God that was probably like 30 years ago when I was in shape

  • Replies 157
  • Views 46.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New gym is listed on KHSAA as 2000

 

Old gym seated 2200, but I know I saw 25-2600 in there several times. I probably have some photos of the old gym...will have to dig though. The ones in yearbooks just don't show it very well.

 

I agree. It was a shame they tore it down. A new bank was needed, but could've went elsewhere. A new courthouse? eh.

 

Always remember there was a smoking area between the gym and baseball field for the high school students between classes or on lunch, man how times have changed.:lol2:

Didn't that gym have a nick name?

Loved playing there, God that was probably like 30 years ago when I was in shape

 

 

I always called it "The Swimming Pool"

New gym is listed on KHSAA as 2000

 

Old gym seated 2200, but I know I saw 25-2600 in there several times. I probably have some photos of the old gym...will have to dig though. The ones in yearbooks just don't show it very well.

 

I agree. It was a shame they tore it down. A new bank was needed, but could've went elsewhere. A new courthouse? eh.

 

Got to love money that is earmarked for useless things... much like the two lane bridge to a one lane tunnel that will be built soon enough.

I always called it "The Swimming Pool"

 

that's it. 'The Pool'

Mason opened in like 1964.

I think Trinity might have played there in the 1964-5 season.

What are the venues?

Knott County Central, Perry County Central, Breathitt County, and Powell County. Each district is represented in a four year rotation.

Knott County Central, Perry County Central, Breathitt County, and Powell County. Each district is represented in a four year rotation.

 

All very nice facilities

Saw it on WYMT. That is one high ceiling.

Yes, Breathitt Coliseum has a very high ceiling due to it being a circular dome architectural design. A section over one of the end zones collapsed about 15 years ago and when it was repaired they did some reconfiguration of the seating when they installed heaters. They actually lost several hundred seats when the heaters were installed.I think they list it's capacity at 4,000 but it won't come close to seating that many. 3,000 to 3,200 would be a more realistic number.

It was opened in the 1964-65 school year and Adolph Rupp was in attendance. It's a very beautiful gym with some great history, and one of the nicer ones in the state.

Greenup County has a great gym. Not sure how much it seats but it was large

Does anyone have a picture of Bracken County's old gym inside and outside?

Found these on Facebook.

Old-

 

New-

Robertson County has a very nice gym, the worst I've seen is probably Harrison County

Greenup County has a great gym. Not sure how much it seats but it was large
Are you talking about the Greenhouse? It and Mason Co's are the two hottest gyms I have ever been in.
I like Pulaski's as well. I have not seen one nicer then Mercer's gym. The fact that it's only about five years old is in it's favor .

 

They need to fix their scoreboards at Mercer County. That's my only gripe. I wish they would hold the 12th Region tournament there but I don't think that will ever happen.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.