Owen County 71 Anderson County 52

6. GREAT high school environment. I'm envious as we don't see that much in the 9th.

Unfortunately that's the exception rather than the rule. Just the other night at the Lincoln Co game there was almost no one there and I was talking to a couple of players dad's/relatives during the game about it. But I knew this game would be packed, and part of that was the Owen Co posse coming down, I heard they brought a ton of people.

Unfortunately I could not be at this game, we had middle school games in Frankfort. I picked Anderson in an upset, and knew they COULD do it if they were on top of their game. Unfortunately it appears that most of the team wasn't in top form, and at a time when they needed to play their A game, it just wasn't there. Cograts out to Owen Co on the victory...hopefully Anderson can get back on track tonight against another 8th region foe, Simon Kenton.

6. GREAT high school environment. I'm envious as we don't see that much in the 9th.

Thanks for the video.

The 9th Region struggles with crowds? That is too bad. The Oldham County schools draw well with loud support, and I know Owen County brings their entire population to many of the games.

One of my buddies up north said the 9th Region folks have made a big mistake using the huge arena for their regional tournament. He said they even play the girls games in a 9,000 seat venue. That is sad. I always liked seeing the 9th Region at Holmes, Conner, and Campbell County when I was in high school in the 1970s. Great atmospheres for those games. He said even some of the early-round boys games in the NKU arena are less than half full. That is too bad.

The 9th Region struggles with crowds? That is too bad. The Oldham County schools draw well with loud support, and I know Owen County brings their entire population to many of the games.

It's getting worse and worse.

One of my buddies up north said the 9th Region folks have made a big mistake using the huge arena for their regional tournament. He said they even play the girls games in a 9,000 seat venue. That is sad. I always liked seeing the 9th Region at Holmes, Conner, and Campbell County when I was in high school in the 1970s. Great atmospheres for those games. He said even some of the early-round boys games in the NKU arena are less than half full. That is too bad.

As the leading advocate AGAINST using NKU let me say you are preaching to the choir.

It's getting worse and worse.

As the leading advocate AGAINST using NKU let me say you are preaching to the choir.

Why do they continue to play the 9th Region in a place that is not ideal for the crowds if that is the case? I have never been in the arena at NKU, but I heard it's too big for most high school games.

Why do they continue to play the 9th Region in a place that is not ideal for the crowds if that is the case? I have never been in the arena at NKU, but I heard it's too big for most high school games.

It has it's positives.

Easy to get in. Not going to sell out.

Don't have to get there and wait in line.

Plenty of parking (yes you have to pay for it)

Comfortable seats

None of that, though, outweighs the lack of an environment. Holds 9500 people. Some games will have less than 1,000.

It has it's positives.

Comfortable seats

None of that, though, outweighs the lack of an environment. Holds 9500 people. Some games will have less than 1,000.

That is very sad. Sounds like money rules everything, even in high school basketball. I can't fathom paying $5.00 to park for a high school basketball game. That is ridiculous.

As for the atmosphere, a packed high school gymnasium is what I love to see. I have been to some regular-season tournaments in college venues down south and if you have 1,000 people in a 12,000 seat arena, it is lifeless. It sounds like that is what the 9th Region has with its regional tournament. Very sad to hear it.

It has it's positives.

Comfortable seats

I recall the 1976 9th Region tournament championship game at Conner High School between Holy Cross and Holmes. Holy Cross had Mike "Turkey" Jones, and Holmes had a young Doug Schloemer and the two fast guards Morris and Moore. The crowd was packed in that night, totally filled. Same thing the following year when Holmes played Newport in the Holmes gym. Sorry to hear the 9th has become so corporate.

That is very sad. Sounds like money rules everything, even in high school basketball. I can't fathom paying $5.00 to park for a high school basketball game. That is ridiculous.

As for the atmosphere, a packed high school gymnasium is what I love to see. I have been to some regular-season tournaments in college venues down south and if you have 1,000 people in a 12,000 seat arena, it is lifeless. It sounds like that is what the 9th Region has with its regional tournament. Very sad to hear it.

You do know that it's $8 bucks (I think is the price) to park at Rupp for the state tournament?

And that is also ridiculous. Money outweighs everything in this sad world, though.

Ok, just wondered as I pegged you as a guy who probably has gone to a state tournament or two but after that post thought maybe you stayed home because of the prices. I agree, I dislike paying to park as well.

I recall the 1976 9th Region tournament championship game at Conner High School between Holy Cross and Holmes. Holy Cross had Mike "Turkey" Jones' date=' and Holmes had a young Doug Schloemer and the two fast guards Morris and Moore. The crowd was packed in that night, totally filled. Same thing the following year when Holmes played Newport in the Holmes gym. Sorry to hear the 9th has become so corporate.[/quote']

I was there in 76.